Fridge on in winter?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Theonlysue, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Hi,
    Camping out in this riduculous cold weather ( :Rofl1: ), do I need to switch my fridge on or not, if stuff inside just for a weekend??

Any ideas?

Ta very much, S

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Just for the weekend I would say "No",, and have done the same myself..

But for what gas or electric you would use ????

Spect others will say different.. :Wink:

3. Theonlysue

Not bothered while on hookup, but I have been told that the fridge uses a lot of gas and I would rather use it for the heating:BigGrin:

Seems odd when its 2 degrees outside, and my fridge is keeping food warm at 3 degrees :Doh:

S

4. old-mo

To save your gas,, why not get one of the small (About 1ft square) polystyrene type cool boxes,,, they do keep food cool.. :thumb:

5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

The food hygiene experts would say that as long as your chilled food stays below 5deg c with it switched off then no problem, otherwise switch it on to maintain 5 deg or less

6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

As long as the beers cold it doesnt matter.

7. Theonlysue

Beers stay outside :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

S

8. old-mo

Leave your food outside with the beer,, simples.. :Wink::BigGrin:

9. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

If you're only camping for a couple of days I would freeze some ice blocks before you go and put them in the fidge to keep it cold. Run fridge on 240 volt for a day or two before you leave home helps.

10. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

When not switched on we always leave the fridge door ajar otherwise it develops mould.
    Wyn

11. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Some interesting figures for you. When we lived on a yacht, before we bought a MH the boat we had used gas for cooking only, every things else was on electricity.

The cooker had 2 gas rings, a grill and a oven and was used on a daily basis, the bottle we used was campinggaz and was the largest of the gaz range, the 907. which is the 2.7Kg butane and lasted for 3 weeks give and take a day over a 4 year period.

Now I get to the point, when we moved to the MH using only cooking and fridge, as it was summer and no heating needed, we found that the gas consumption was exactly double that of the yacht.

So from this I calculate that a fridge on butane will use 2.7Kg per 3 weeks.

Doug...

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

From Dometic

80lt fridge uses 270g per 24 hrs = 1.89kg per week

30lt fridge uses 170g per 24hrs = 1.19kg per week

13. keith

keith Funster

Surely that's what a thermostat does, why do it manually? With the thermostat set it wont come on unless it exceeds 5deg so no gas is used. :Doh:

14. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Thanks for that Jim, but is that not the manufactures best theoretical figures.

Doug...

15. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I was under the impresion that when on gas there is no thermostatic control.I thought that the thermostat only worked on electric.Can anyone enlighten me on this.

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi when the burner is lit ( some people refer to it as the pilot light :Rofl1:) it is running and does not get bigger or smaller so it is going to use the same amount of gas regardless of how warm or cold :thumb::Wink: Not sure if it would use as much as Jim's figures say because 4 ltrs of gas per week seems a lot :Smile: but hey some boffin will have worked it out, so it could well be correct :thumb: ( not doubting you Jim :thumb: )
    As to running the fridge I would say yes :thumb: after all it may be freezing out side but how warm is it in the van ?
    terry

17. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Ive got to ask...are you actually being serious or is this thread a joke?? :Rofl1:

Are you really that bothered about how much gas your fridge is going to use in 2 days :Eeek:

If money is that tight how on earth do you put fuel in the motorhome :Doh:

18. Terry

Terry Funster

NOW NOW, Dazzer:Rofl1: Sue may be on a limited gas supply hence the -would rather save the gas for heating - Personally I would rather keep the food in the fridge cool than chance getting food poisoning :Rofl1::Wink:
    terry

19. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

If a fridge is good at keeping food cold it must be well insulated. Hence it may keep food quite warm when it is cold outside so there is no direct link between the two.

Providing the fridge is reasonably well filled with frozen or very cold food it should remain cold enough for a weekend.

However if only a small amount of cold food is placed in the fridge it will not keep cold for the same length of time.

20. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Glad this query has been posted - having a compressor fridge (van only has a Campingaz 907 bottle, which as explained elsewhere wouldn't last too long running a 3-way fridge) it tends to run the battery down quite quickly, so switching it off when possible is something I consider from time to time.

In fact, I have occasionally switched it off during a cold night when not on EHU, but only when there's been nothing critical in it, e.g. carton of milk, lump of cheese, etc. and no meat in the freezer section. It's usually still cool the following morning, but not cold.

At Malvern I was talking to a bloke with a Honda minivan, and whenever he sets off for a few days he cools the fridge at home with 240V and then puts a frozen loaf of bread in it (switched off at the start of the trip) and uses this to keep the contents cooled as it slowly defrosts during the first day. Haven't tried this myself yet.