Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Someone onsite said to me yesterday that your fridge is more efficient running on gas than ehu its cheaper and is cooler on gas. Is this right has anyone bothered to check ? . I have always used 240v when on hookup / 12v when driving / gas on all other situations. Never given it a thought before

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
correct..normally more efficient on gas in hot weather. But how can it be cheaper if elec included in pitch fee. in spain where elec is normally metered, its cheaper to run on gas. (cheaper still if you have refillable LPG bottles)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
sorry to disagree Judge.. .. the efficiency is the same on gas as 230v mains.. .but obviously cheaper on mains if the EHU is included in pitch fee and not metered..

If leccy is metered.. run on Gas... it works out cheaper, that was my experience when we were on metered leccy and paying 14p kwh

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have found the drinks to be a lot cooler when we have the fridge running on gas as we have for the last 2 weeks using Aires without ehu.
We have got refillables.
We use the ehu to run fridge though when we have it as we have paid for it so why use our gas?

I agree with Jim though if electric is metered, I didn't realise though that is cheaper to run off gas than metered electric.
I'll have to remember that next time we have metered electric.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
sorry to disagree Judge.. .. the efficiency is the same on gas as 230v mains.. .but obviously cheaper on mains if the EHU is included in pitch fee and not metered..

If leccy is metered.. run on Gas... it works out cheaper, that was my experience when we were on metered leccy and paying 14p kwh

no need to apologise its only opinion;).....All I know is that in hot weather 30-40 deg most fridges we have had, work better on gas, have had to fit extra fans in the past. This can be apparently because on busy sites the supply voltage can drop when demand high. Another factor is how well the fridge installed, and not all installed that well. The fridge in our new van is the best on elec we have ever had, it freezes contents if stat to high. This was discussed elsewhere and its all down to how its installed apparently....

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Most (if not all) van fridges have only one thermostat and that's used when on mains. On gas the manual control is all you have and on 12v - nothing.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our fridge has automatic switching and the default is mains when connected to it. We did use an EHU last year that was very unstable and the fridge decided for itself that it would switch to gas and stay there.
Allan

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
It can be way cheaper on gas if you're metered on mains hookup, as we found to our (extortionate) cost on a site in Austria :(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Mine turns the fridge into a freezer when on mains at home. the gas is not far behind but the 12v struggles just maintaining whatever the other two got temp down too !
mine is old so has a stat for each.:xThumb:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Spoke to a bloke on a site in Spain about four weeks ago as he was changing gas cylinders.
He told me that the 'van had used a complete 10kgs bottle of propane in four weeks used exclusively for powering the large fridge in his unit.
That cost him €20. I don't know how many kilowatts the same fridge would have used if on electricity.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
with my particular 100 litre fridge, I asked this on another forum re using a metered supply V refillable LPG system to run fridge. it clearly worked out that comparing price of LPG V price per kw elec, a lot cheaper for LPG

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The cooling circuit is the same for all energy sources, the heat energy input is generally about the same across the three (usually somewhere between 100Watts to 170Watts depending on fridge size and type. All the energy source does (whichever is used) is heat the liquid in the cooling circuit. As the energy input is generally the same regardless of energy source there can be no significant difference in performance.

As for thermostats most modern fridges, especially auto energy selection units, will regulate temperature on all energy sources. Only the older types with manual energy selection and gas control regulated by adjusting the flame had one thermostat which only worked on mains.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back