Fridge on 20 hr ferry crossing.

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Davfo42, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Davfo42

Davfo42

Anyone got any thoughts on keeping a fridge on during a 20 hr ferry crossing (rosslare to roscoff) . Will the fridge function on the waves etc. I heard that Irish ferries give a elec hook up if you ask. Is this true? Could I run it on gas (safe?)
    Your wisdom is called upon.
    Dave

2. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hi,I think many ferries have plugs available for freezer wagons and the likes so ask the ferry co.and as for the gas that would not comply with the regulations ,Im sure.. as many ferry staff are employed to make sure your gas supply is isolated before boarding.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

As you are going to France why would you need to take anything in the fridge? Prefer to do our food shopping in France.
    Running on gas is a No, No, unless you are thinking of sinking the ship.:)
    If you really must have perishables in the fridge cool it down to the max preferably on gas (more efficient) it should stay reasonably cool for 24 hours providing you don't open the door.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Davfo42

Davfo42

Thanks for the replies Mike and Lenny, I think you have hit the nail on the head Lenny, we love the fresh food in France also, might just leave empty until we get across. Simple solution.

• Like Like x 2
  5. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

Our ferry to St Malo was around 11 hours so we took no frozen stuff. We took long life milk and sealed packs of bacon that you cannot buy in France. The food in France is very reasonable to buy so there's so no point in carrying it from UK.:)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

We put in a 2 litre plastic bottle of frozen water. It lasts a while.

• Like Like x 3
  7. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

Best to buy fresh when you get there but you could freeze some bottles of drinking water beforehand and leave these in the fridge during the crossing. This will help keep the temperature down.

Al.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Davfo42

Davfo42

thanks for the tips guys. Putting the frozen water in the fridge is a great idea so that the temp is quite low when we start up the van in france.
    regards
    David

9. f6c

f6c Funster

As Davfo42 Said(y)

10. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

I refer my friend to an answer I made some moments ago
    (Actually something I posted on another forum two years ago.)
    Mine was only a five/six hour crossing but it would still stand up.
    >
    >
    >
    Every year at about this time there are questions from folks about to set off to the Continent wondering how the fridge will cope on a long ferry crossing.

With this in mind we tried out the following on our last journey and I hope, at least for those crossing the long ferry journeys across the Channel it will come in useful.

We packed the fridge as full as we could after having it on the highest setting for 24hrs. Included in that was a nearly full 4 pint milk bottle which had been frozen over the previous 48hrs. We also packed the freezer so that it was in effect one deep frozen mass.

We stayed on the dock at Plymouth for the night before the ferry (Thursday) and took with us enough 'Now' supplies so that we didn't open the fridge door until we got to France.

I have been assured by the Chief Cook that everything that should have been frozen, stayed frozen with the added advantage that the milk took until Tuesday to fully thaw out and in the meantime provided the cereal milk each morning. Don't know about you but although I can use the UHT Milk, I still prefer 'Fresh' milk on the Porridge.

Quite rightly some people will say that when in France part of the fun is shopping in France and we're no exception. However the Chief Fairy pre-prepares meals that we both like and freezes them for our use. This came in handy for the trip.

We hope the above is of use to those heading off to France (and further) in the next few weeks.

• Like Like x 3
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

As above. We did the 20 hour trip from Plymouth to Santander earlier this year. We put a frozen lasagne in the main compartment and it was still slightly frozen when we took it out. Just get the fridge running a good 24 hours before you cross and put a few freezer packs in the freezer compartment. Don't put any water in the ice tray! Run it on 12 volts on the trip to the ferry then turn it off just before you board. Run it on gas while you are in the queue if you want but it shouldn't be necessary. Don't open the door to peak inside!

You can get electric hook ups on some crossings but unless you have perhaps some medicines which you can't risk getting warm (if the ferry was delayed for example) then I wouldn't bother.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Davfo42

Davfo42

Awesome replies guys. Thanks for your advice.

13. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

When you crossing @Davfo42 ?
    We cross 1st September but Rosslare - Cherbourg.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

All ferries have hook up for food transportation. Make sure they know you want hook up and they will park you on the edge near the electric. I had to use 2 pin, so ensure you have adapter just in case. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Polar bear

Polar bear Funster

We put 3 of the blue freezer blocks in Fridge pre frozen prior to trip and on the 24 hour crossing to Spain everything stayed frozen

• Like Like x 1
  16. Davfo42

Davfo42

Hello, Finally another Irish motorhomer on the site. Heading over thurs 20th Aug Rosslare to Roscoff, Did the Cherbourg route last year.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Anthony496

Anthony496

Brilliant idea

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steve N Tracy

Steve N Tracy Funster

We buy fruit juice cartons which ever flavour we like and freeze them, they keep the fridge and freezer cool and we drink them later in to the holiday once they have thawed.

19. Davfo42

Davfo42

just back in ireland . travelled on the Oscar Wilde (Irish Ferries), absolutly no problem plugging in the electricity. just have the lead ready and look for a socket along the side wall. The crew guys even helped out running it back to the van. (kept the Rose cold for a late tipple when we got home.