Fridge on 20 hr ferry crossing. (1 Viewer)

Davfo42

Free Member
Jun 19, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
10 years
Anyone got any thoughts on keeping a fridge on during a 20 hr ferry crossing (rosslare to roscoff) . Will the fridge function on the waves etc. I heard that Irish ferries give a elec hook up if you ask. Is this true? Could I run it on gas (safe?)
Your wisdom is called upon.
Dave

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,I think many ferries have plugs available for freezer wagons and the likes so ask the ferry co.and as for the gas that would not comply with the regulations ,Im sure.. as many ferry staff are employed to make sure your gas supply is isolated before boarding.(y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As you are going to France why would you need to take anything in the fridge? Prefer to do our food shopping in France.
Running on gas is a No, No, unless you are thinking of sinking the ship.:)
If you really must have perishables in the fridge cool it down to the max preferably on gas (more efficient) it should stay reasonably cool for 24 hours providing you don't open the door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Davfo42

Davfo42

Free Member
Jun 19, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
10 years
Thanks for the replies Mike and Lenny, I think you have hit the nail on the head Lenny, we love the fresh food in France also, might just leave empty until we get across. Simple solution.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Our ferry to St Malo was around 11 hours so we took no frozen stuff. We took long life milk and sealed packs of bacon that you cannot buy in France. The food in France is very reasonable to buy so there's so no point in carrying it from UK.:)

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Best to buy fresh when you get there but you could freeze some bottles of drinking water beforehand and leave these in the fridge during the crossing. This will help keep the temperature down.

Al.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Davfo42

Davfo42

Free Member
Jun 19, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
10 years
thanks for the tips guys. Putting the frozen water in the fridge is a great idea so that the temp is quite low when we start up the van in france.
regards
David

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I refer my friend to an answer I made some moments ago
(Actually something I posted on another forum two years ago.)
Mine was only a five/six hour crossing but it would still stand up.
>
>
>
Every year at about this time there are questions from folks about to set off to the Continent wondering how the fridge will cope on a long ferry crossing.

With this in mind we tried out the following on our last journey and I hope, at least for those crossing the long ferry journeys across the Channel it will come in useful.

We packed the fridge as full as we could after having it on the highest setting for 24hrs. Included in that was a nearly full 4 pint milk bottle which had been frozen over the previous 48hrs. We also packed the freezer so that it was in effect one deep frozen mass.

We stayed on the dock at Plymouth for the night before the ferry (Thursday) and took with us enough 'Now' supplies so that we didn't open the fridge door until we got to France.

I have been assured by the Chief Cook that everything that should have been frozen, stayed frozen with the added advantage that the milk took until Tuesday to fully thaw out and in the meantime provided the cereal milk each morning. Don't know about you but although I can use the UHT Milk, I still prefer 'Fresh' milk on the Porridge.

Quite rightly some people will say that when in France part of the fun is shopping in France and we're no exception. However the Chief Fairy pre-prepares meals that we both like and freezes them for our use. This came in handy for the trip.

We hope the above is of use to those heading off to France (and further) in the next few weeks.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As above. We did the 20 hour trip from Plymouth to Santander earlier this year. We put a frozen lasagne in the main compartment and it was still slightly frozen when we took it out. Just get the fridge running a good 24 hours before you cross and put a few freezer packs in the freezer compartment. Don't put any water in the ice tray! Run it on 12 volts on the trip to the ferry then turn it off just before you board. Run it on gas while you are in the queue if you want but it shouldn't be necessary. Don't open the door to peak inside!

You can get electric hook ups on some crossings but unless you have perhaps some medicines which you can't risk getting warm (if the ferry was delayed for example) then I wouldn't bother.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Davfo42

Davfo42

Free Member
Jun 19, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
10 years
Awesome replies guys. Thanks for your advice.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
All ferries have hook up for food transportation. Make sure they know you want hook up and they will park you on the edge near the electric. I had to use 2 pin, so ensure you have adapter just in case. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
We put 3 of the blue freezer blocks in Fridge pre frozen prior to trip and on the 24 hour crossing to Spain everything stayed frozen

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We buy fruit juice cartons which ever flavour we like and freeze them, they keep the fridge and freezer cool and we drink them later in to the holiday once they have thawed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Davfo42

Davfo42

Free Member
Jun 19, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
10 years
just back in ireland . travelled on the Oscar Wilde (Irish Ferries), absolutly no problem plugging in the electricity. just have the lead ready and look for a socket along the side wall. The crew guys even helped out running it back to the van. (kept the Rose cold for a late tipple when we got home.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back