fridge on 12v

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Bacchus, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Hi. I wonder whether anyone can help me.

The elecrolux fridge on my old Hymer 544 gets arctic cold on 240v, but only seems to stay on for about an hour on 12v

The 12v only works when the engine is running, so not a flat battery issue (new leisure battery anyway), I presume it's something to do with the "engine running sensor"

Coincidentally the demister fan seems to follow a similar pattern - if the fridge won't work, nor will the fan (n)

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi

Not sure I can really help but thanks for the reminder as I had put ours manually onto 12 volts while I ran the microwave from low amp site EHU and had forgotten to turn it back.

The signal for yours to switch to 12 volts comes from the alternator windings, basically when your ignition/charging light goes out the relay for the fridge can kick in, your fridge could be running from either the engine battery or the leisure battery there does not seem to be any hard rules. When the fridge goes off can you check in the back of it and see if it still has 12 volts from the relay to the heater, if it has I would say it was a fridge control problem. Why it will be connected with the demister fan not working would be anybody's guess as they will surely be on separate circuits/fuses.

Martin

3. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your rapid reply, makes sense about the alternator.

I don't want to rip the fridge out to test voltages right now, am on my hols. Trying to chill it on 240 from the inverter for now...

I think the heater is a red herring, but there does seem a remarkable correlation!

4. simbadog

simbadog Funster

I always thought that the 12v setting was only for use when engine running & then not very effective either? Mine just keeps cool on 12v (engine running) & very cold on either 240v or gas.

5. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

It is-keeps fridge at temp it was when you switched over.Only works when engine running.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Lucky devil. I wish mine kept cold, I have to buy a block of ice every few days when the temp gets above 22 degrees!

7. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

I don't think 12v is ever THAT effective, which is strange because my 12v Halfords cold box works pretty well. Maybe the tech has moved on. I'd use that if it weren't in a garage a 1000km north of me...