Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Hi. I wonder whether anyone can help me.

The elecrolux fridge on my old Hymer 544 gets arctic cold on 240v, but only seems to stay on for about an hour on 12v

The 12v only works when the engine is running, so not a flat battery issue (new leisure battery anyway), I presume it's something to do with the "engine running sensor"

Coincidentally the demister fan seems to follow a similar pattern - if the fridge won't work, nor will the fan (n)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

Not sure I can really help but thanks for the reminder as I had put ours manually onto 12 volts while I ran the microwave from low amp site EHU and had forgotten to turn it back.

The signal for yours to switch to 12 volts comes from the alternator windings, basically when your ignition/charging light goes out the relay for the fridge can kick in, your fridge could be running from either the engine battery or the leisure battery there does not seem to be any hard rules. When the fridge goes off can you check in the back of it and see if it still has 12 volts from the relay to the heater, if it has I would say it was a fridge control problem. Why it will be connected with the demister fan not working would be anybody's guess as they will surely be on separate circuits/fuses.

Martin

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your rapid reply, makes sense about the alternator.

I don't want to rip the fridge out to test voltages right now, am on my hols. Trying to chill it on 240 from the inverter for now...

I think the heater is a red herring, but there does seem a remarkable correlation!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I always thought that the 12v setting was only for use when engine running & then not very effective either? Mine just keeps cool on 12v (engine running) & very cold on either 240v or gas.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I always thought that the 12v setting was only for use when engine running & then not very effective either? Mine just keeps cool on 12v (engine running) & very cold on either 240v or gas.

It is-keeps fridge at temp it was when you switched over.Only works when engine running.

Reactions: GJH
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Lucky devil. I wish mine kept cold, I have to buy a block of ice every few days when the temp gets above 22 degrees!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bacchus

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I don't think 12v is ever THAT effective, which is strange because my 12v Halfords cold box works pretty well. Maybe the tech has moved on. I'd use that if it weren't in a garage a 1000km north of me...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back