Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Hi 'wizzards':)

I have pics but they will not load (keeps saying error) :(

Vehicle= 1996 Swift Royale 630 on a 2.5 td Peugeot Boxer base.

As above, the fridge has stopped working on the vehicle 12v when the engine is running.

Under the bonnet I (think) have found the relays x 2 leading to a fuse block and then into a loom.

The large feeds (I assume to the fridge and???) from the relays are 1xBrown with blue stripe, the other is a lightish red with a yellow stripe.

Then there are 2 smaller wires 1xBlue that goes down to the ignition light take off (well I think that is what it is, as the ignition light goes off when I remove it) on the alternator, and a small Black that goes to earth.

I have cleaned all the connectors and put 12v accross the relays and all seems good.

So my questions are, at last you say:LOL:,
1 = Am I 'looking in the right place'?
2 = what does the other relay do, as I assume you only need 1 for the fridge?
3 = What rating/size/spec should the relays be?
4 = Any other suggestions (no I can't afford another motorhome;))

(y)

OP
OP
bartiny

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Ok, does anybody know if the live wire (small blue) that switches the relays when the engine runs, should it go to the small take off on the alternator as it does now, or has it been wired wrongly?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thick brown blue is charging feed to leisure battery (thick brown green is from engine battery), thick red yellow is fridge supply when engine running, blue to alterantor is engine running signal to energise relays and thin blacks are earth for relay energising coils. Remove the fridge vents and if you can locate the red/yellow wire check if it has 13+ volts present with engine running ( use a good earth to chassis for your meter not the existing earth for the fridge as that may be the problem) if there is decent voltage present with engine running check the earth continuity. If that is ok then either the energy selector switch is at fault or the 12V element has failed.

Common faults are corroded connections causing high resistance, these can be at the signal wire connection to the alternator/battery light wire (frequently made with a bodgelock), at the fuseblock connections, at any joints in the wiring (usually one near the engine battery in Swift vans) , at the fridge connections or at the fridge earth to chassis connection.

Happy hunting, D.

OP
OP
bartiny

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Thick brown blue is charging feed to leisure battery (thick brown green is from engine battery), thick red yellow is fridge supply when engine running, blue to alterantor is engine running signal to energise relays and thin blacks are earth for relay energising coils. Remove the fridge vents and if you can locate the red/yellow wire check if it has 13+ volts present with engine running ( use a good earth to chassis for your meter not the existing earth for the fridge as that may be the problem) if there is decent voltage present with engine running check the earth continuity. If that is ok then either the energy selector switch is at fault or the 12V element has failed.

Common faults are corroded connections causing high resistance, these can be at the signal wire connection to the alternator/battery light wire (frequently made with a bodgelock), at the fuseblock connections, at any joints in the wiring (usually one near the engine battery in Swift vans) , at the fridge connections or at the fridge earth to chassis connection.

Happy hunting, D.

Perfect! thank you(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Ours was the same! Took bottom vent cover off fridge to expose fridge connections. Found a spade connector loose put it back tightened and all was well!
Hope as easy for you.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Swap the two relays..left to right and right to left.
They are both the same.
Does the fridge work now
If so you have a faulty relay
It may activate and click but it doesn't mean it's making a contact.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bartiny

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Thank you all for your help (y)
I think that you have covered everything that I need to check, I will post back the results when I get to the bottom of it.
:thanks3::thanks3::thanks3:

OP
OP
bartiny

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
All sorted now thanks,
The little blue wire was only scotch blocked to the alternator wire and was corroded, so renewed the wire and run it down to the take off on the alternator.
The fridge on/off switch was working intermittently, fitted new one.

Thanks for the help (y)(y)

Drexel

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Co Kerry Ireland
Funster No
MH
hymer starline680
Exp
im a newbie

Happy hunting, D.
hi i was looking for a solution to a problem i had with same van but leisure battery not charging while driving and found your comments great and very helpful and now sorted so thankyou

Drexel

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Co Kerry Ireland
Funster No
MH
hymer starline680
Exp
im a newbie
Swap the two relays..left to right and right to left.
They are both the same.
Does the fridge work now
If so you have a faulty relay
It may activate and click but it doesn't mean it's making a contact.
hi i was trying to solve a problem i had with my leisure battery not charging when engine running and your comments helped me sort it and now its sorted so a big thankyou

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back