Fridge locks and shelves (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi, I have owned sailing boats in the past and know how important it is to stow things securely. After the door on the dometic fridge in our MH fllew open a few times, bottles and eggs everywhere I decided to sort out a way of locking it. Part of the original catch (plastic) was still in place on the body of the fridge but obviously the catch itself was missing.
I then looked for a replacement to be shocked at the cost of plastic door catches, anything from £10-£30. It took less than half an hour to find and fit a long bolt and a suitable turnbuckle which is screwed into the thread on the fridge. May not 'look the part' but it is steel, not plastic.

Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed

I then looked at the shelves in the fridge itself. Dometic use flimsy little plastic clips (£5+ each !!) to hold a retaining rail in place, one set had already given up and it just looked like poor engineering.
Solution (for me) was easy, I had a length of 40mm x 50mm plastic angle (cheap - used for cladding buildings), cut 3 pieces to length cutting a slot at each end - distance between slots so that the plastic could be fitted tight enough to not fall out.
Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed

Inserted as shown and pulled forward to front of shelf - solid !
Time taken 20 minutes - cost - less than one of the catches - and stronger!
Hope someone finds this useful
Vic

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the simplest solutions are often the best. will use the plastic angle tip on my fridge when I get 5 minutes:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back