Fridge leisure or vehicle

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Rooky Vanner, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner Funster

Morning all out there in the wisdom hall...
    Now
    When I put my fridge on battery, is it running off the vehicle or the leisure battery??
    Many thanks
    Andy,
    Currently enjoying the sun in Durness...

2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

In ours, it's the vehicle battery.

3. Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner Funster

Yes been reading posts which is what I should have done in the first place( but no one ever does) it seams it is van battery in ours. Seems daft really on no hook up sites where we spend most of our time, to use gas when sun is shining and we have 100w solar panel?
    Needs research I think but thanks for confirming my suspicions...

4. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Go easy with it's use because the fridge will flatten the vehicle battery really quickly resulting in the vehicle engine not starting :eek:

5. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave Funster

When on 12 volts my fridge only runs when the engine is running - it is designed that way.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  6. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

When you say "on battery", do you mean when you have selected "12 volts" as the supply ? If this is the case, then the fridge is technically running off the alternator while the engine is running, switch off the engine and the fridge will stop working. Most vans have absorption type fridges which would soon flatten your battery if it was left to run on a battery alone, although some on here with plenty of solar and leisure battery capacity can adapt their system to use any "excess" solar power they are generating to supply their fridge.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The fridge uses 100W. Your panel might turn out its 100W if tilted and turned continuously to face the sun in a cloudless sky. Given that none of those conditions will ever be met your leisure battery will be fully discharged within hours. There's a very good reason why the fridge is set-up to operate on 12v only when the engine is running.

8. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

As others have said a 100W solar panel won't be able to run a 3 way fridge. And even if it did there would not be any power left to charge the batteries for the night.

9. Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner Funster

Hmm.. It seemed like a good idea at the time but as you can tell I am no electrician, I am a gardener so each to his own. If you ever have trouble with your wallflowers I'm yer man.
    Thanks to all who contributed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi your fridge should/probably is wired to the LB not vehicle battery - the van will have a relay that turns on when engine is running supplying 12v to the fridge and usually L Battery both supplied via the engine/alternator When the engine is turned off the 12v is also turned off via the relay so your fridge should not be working on 12v without the engine running-
    terry

11. Rooky Vanner

Rooky Vanner Funster

Thanks for that. Sat in Ullapool at the moment planning a Harris trip... Thanks to all