Fridge Fumes any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Dometic Tower system on our Carthago- - had fume smells previously only when wind direction is blowing directly at/into fridge vents - at one time had both carbon monoxide alarms going off when van was all closed up and fridge on gas. At the top of the TEC tower inside the van there is a ventilation/air gap above the cooker and this is where the fumes blow in when its windy. Didn't have this gap on our last van with TEC tower.

Since then - had hab check done several months ago - fridge wasn't serviced but they checked with their machine & couldn't find anything wrong - of course not as no wind in their workshop.

Had fridge serviced locally before we came over to France - new burner fitted - and again everything checked out OK - and again - their workshop was surprisingly lacking in wind.

So how to solve the problem when we get back to the UK? thinking that there must be a problem with the seal behind the fridge - so to try and identify where the problem is - I was thinking to use a smoke bomb in lower compartment/grill - seal both of the grills and try and see where smoke is getting through? and seal with tape? Of course the only test will be when its windy

Any suggestions or experiences with this problem?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The vent at the top of the oven are fitted in factory fitted TecTowers but not in dealer fitted ones. If you take the fridge top vent off or the front panel above the oven you will see the fridge is sealed from the area above the top of the oven, normally sealed with clear silicon and a s/a foam tape and this sometimes gets ruffled up when fitting the tower often happens if a dealer or service guy has had the fridge out.
Easy to cure just run some clear silicon around all the edges and the joint between the fridge & oven.
We had a 2008 Hymer that used to do it occasionally but only in winds well above gale force, our last van a 2014 Hymer was fine and the new one looks OK.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I paid £80 to have mine taken out and all vents cleaned, etc., whilst at a show ... not a lot to pay for sleeping securely. It has been great since and that was about 3 yrs ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The fridge should not produce CO - sealing it to the van interior makes sure that if it is faulty the resultant CO is vented outside. If the fridge smells strongly it is burning improperly, is producing CO, and will probably smoke stain the vent / flue area too. It simply needs the burner servicing & probably a new jet.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We had it happen on our swift caravan.....
Turns out it was a huuuuge dead spider in the burner thingy. Made a big black soot mark on the fridge vent and side of the van. New vent and a good polish was needed :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I recall many years back having a solid fuel advisor at our house regarding chimney improvements

Before the days when CO monitors were widely available, we had a smokey coal smell in one bedroom, turned out we had a crack in the chimney that needed relining

His words stuck with me, that we were lucky to have the smell of the smoke, as CO is indeed colourless and odourless, we could easily have been poisoned if we had not been made aware of the leak by the smoke smell, he also said that in most cases if you can smell fumes you will have almost certainly have CO present to a dangerous level if inside :(

Hence the alarm in this case maybe, although as said other gases may trigger it

OP
OP
SteveandSue
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Thanks for all the replies -
Note it has just been serviced and new burner fitted - everything seemed OK with the old one but when tested it set off his tester so replaced - as Lenny is saying it is only when the wind is in the right direction - sealing from the back via the vents is my option but just wondered if anyone had used a smoke bomb to thoroughly test? or is this a daft idea?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I removed my fridge and sealed it properly at both the rear and front, stopped all the draughts as well.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Have you ever smelt a smoke bomb ?

Most acrid smell I have ever had the displeasure of.

And they make a LOT of smoke too!!!
Used them lots in the past when testing domestic flues...
It wouldn't be something i'd consider "letting off" in a MH .. (y)

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Thank you for posting this @SteveandSue and peoples replys, happened to me a couple of days ago. Booked into Camperserve 10/04 to get it checked out
(y)

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
You could fit a 12v extractor fan on the inside of your top exterior vent .I fitted mine to remove heat build up when in Spain and improve the refrigeration and I did notice that the odd fumes when the wind was blowing in a cirtain direction stopped lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back