Fridge freezing when it shouldn't (1 Viewer)

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
My Dometic fridge/freezer in the rv has an 'automatic' temperature control but constantly freezes up between the metal fins at the back of the fridge. We are level, and I have the climate control switch on but I have to defrost the 'fridge monthly. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong:Doh:
Jan

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Know the feeling

We have the same problem:Doh: - was told poss have thermostat prob - but it takes ages to freeze up and defrost occaisionly so have left it.
Would also appreciate any clues::bigsmile:
Cheers Jaen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Jan sounds like the thermostat- give Dudleys of Witney, Oxford a ring they will be able to advise/ sort it for you
Regards, Dave:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
Hi, Don't know if this is any interest to anyone....Dometic Corporation has extended its August 2006 recall see :-http://www.Dometic.com/recall.
Nozzel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jan

A small amount of frosting is quite normal and by adjusting the stat to a slightly warmer setting usually cures it..

There is no auto defrost, and they need defrosted every so often, all I do is turn the stat to a warmer setting overnight and return to normal position in the morning... but for a while we had the same problem as you, I discovered that the door wasn't closing properly, one of the shelves wasn't fully back and was fouling on the door liner, this allows warm air to get in which causes excessive frosting on the fins.
I think they tend to jump forward while travelling.. not much, maybe only 1/2" but it's enough to cause a problem..

Try pushing the door, see if you can determine whether it is fully closed or not.. you may find that's all it is..

Jim

Last edited:

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
We had the same problem, freezing milk, salad etc. Took it to Catterick Caravans who kept it for a couple of days. Turned out the Thermistor was faulty and they replaced under warranty. Off next week so will report back on outcome. If out of warranty thermistors are not expensive and easy to replace. Hope this helps. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
fridge overcooling

Do the fins get iced up all the way across or just the top right corner? some icing in the top right is perfectly normal, if it's all the way across, the first thing you have to do is go and get two fridge thermometers put one in the freezer compartment and one in the fridge compartment(near the fins), to ascertain the operating temperatures, the freezer should be somewhere between -5 and -15 degrees centrigrade and the fridge should be between 0 and +3 degrees centigrade. If these temperatures are not correct and the fridge is either too cold or too warm you may have a thermistor/control board fault. the thermistor is easy to check with an ohm meter, but requires removal of the control board cover. If the temperatures are ok you have moist air getting in to the lower compartment, indicating a possible door seal fault or the door catch not holding the door completely closed. Lastly the climate control switch controls a 12volt heating element around the door seal area on the main body of the fridge it is not normally necessary to turn it on in this country, if the fridge is turned off and you are not plugged in to the mains you must make sure it is turned off, if you leave it on your leisure batteries will be flat in under a day! The last thing that may help is to slide the thermistor to the top of the fins (white plastic thing attached to the fins on the right in the lower compartment)
Dunc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back