Fridge fan.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Snowbird, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

A question for for those that spend time away in the summer. This van is the first I have had that does not have a fridge fan. Am in Benidorm at the moment and its HOT. The fridge is struggling to keep up and there does not seem to be any kits available here for some reason only clear to the Spanish. So am looking at fitting a laptop fan, but do not want to put it on a switch as I would prefer it automatic. Any suggestions on a simple thermo switch.

2. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

The Dometic engineer who repaired my fridge said in really hot conditions turn the fridge to its lowest setting because its getting too hot to work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

How about a cheap mechanical room thermostat ?

I've fitted several fridge fans and never bothered, just used a rocker switch with neon indication.. if it's that hot it will be on most of the time anyway

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Dave a laptop fan won't be big enough -you need a full blown 4 ins comp fan or even 2 :Smile: cannot advise on the switch thing :BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snowbird

Hi Terry, I did look at some 4" fans at Gascon here in Spain yesterday whilst getting some electrical fittings. They did look as though they would suck the inside of the fridge aperture out :Eeek:.
    Am not sure which would be the best way to position the fan ie, bottom blowing up or top sucking out. Am aware that once the outside temp gets around 30 degs then the fridge is not going to cope well. Obviously noise is also going to be an issue as I do not want to be deafened any more than I already am, thats why I was thinking of a laptop fan, or maybe 2, one pushing and one pulling.

6. scotjimland

Top sucking out Dave.. :thumb:

puter fans are almost silent , I would fit two , side by side..

• Like Like x 2
  7. FM02MZO

FM02MZO Funster

If you buy the manufactures cooling fan kit, which is fully automatic, it is mounted in the bottom so that it blows up on to the condenser, it also has an automatic temperature controlled switch which clips on to one of the pipes at the top

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Dave try best of both 1 /2 at the top sucking out and one at the bottom sucking in :BigGrin: --Jim has said the rest :Smile:--SILENT RUNNING :thumb:
    I HAVE A 3 1/2 " one as my DIY SOG fan :thumb:
    FM02MZO I did not know they did proper jobby's :thumb:
    terry

9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

sorry.. that is wrong
    They are always mounted on the top vent sucking out, ie creating a negative pressure
    that sucks cool air in from the bottom vent.

http://www.dometic.com/enuk/Europe/United-Kingdom/leisure-vehicles/Refrigerators/Ventilation-systems/product/?productdataid=80415

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Do you need a fan? Might be worth checking first, if not already done, that the cooling fins on the condenser are not blocked with dust and fluff. A quick Dysoning might improve the performance of the 'fridge.

12. Snowbird

Under normal UK conditions I would agree that a fan is not necessary. But this is not normal UK conditions, its 26 in the shade now. The fridge unfortunately is in the sun and I prefer sitting in the shade when its this hot. I will of course give it a good cleaning whilst am in there.

13. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Dave - I had a similar problem in France last week - the fridge vent was in the sun and it was very hot !

2 things helped - I removed the vent cover from the outside to allow more free airflow, and also removed a rubber strip I had placed at the front where it sits on the floor which gave a cold draught in the winter coming from underneath the fridge and had forgotten to remove it:Doh:

14. Terry

Terry Funster

Cannot believe that RMB has not got a fan as standard :BigGrin:
    terry

15. JJ

JJ Funster

A good friend of mine spent hours and hours faffing around with computer fans and thermostats and a soldering iron with little to no success.

In frustration he went to Camperserve on the N125, handed over €50 for the fan kit which came complete with everything. Vent off and 45 minutes later all working 100% (and still is).

I have twin fans retro fitted to my Hymer fridge and it makes a huge difference.

JJ :Cool:

16. Snowbird

That would be my ideal JJ, but would you believe that although Benidorm has perhaps more caravan and motorhome pitches per square mile than any other place in Europe, it is served by one camping shop that is only interested in selling you an awning or kitchen tent. I was in there yesterday and enquired about the kit and was told "Not possible in Spain" :Doh:. A good business oportunity there for someone younger and healthier :thumb:.

17. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

In France last year , the worktops around the fridge were to hot too touch, things were melting in the fridge :Eeek:

18. Snowbird

Its 25 in the shade and 36 in the sun now, so not much chance of a condenser fridge keeping on top of that without some help from a fan. Have just sent my little man off to get 2 laptop fans a switch and some wire. Meanwhile I may as well drink this beer before it gets to warm to drink :Cool:. Thank goodness Smudger is not here otherwise he would want half my cold beer.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cranky

cranky Funster

I'm a big fan of fridges:BigGrin:

20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Just make sure you get the polarity right on the fans. They don't run backwards in my experience if you get it wrong - they just go phut and you are left with a little windmill which goes round if you blow on it.

• Like Like x 1