Free Member
May 25, 2008
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Since 2008
Our fridge works ok on gas and on 12V when engine is running but don't work on 240V, but the light comes on on the 240V switch when switched on, its an electrolux fridge model RM4217. Anybody got any idiea's of what the problem could be:Confused:

Jim.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim

more than likely the 230v heater element has burnt out, but without examining it's not possible to say for sure.. it could also a broken connection or duff thermostat.

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
I had the same problem too, the serial number you mention rings a bell.

I replaced the heater element. Apparently not an uncommon problem according to the chap from whom I bought the element - they tend to burn out.

The hassle is getting acces to do the replacement. Small hands are helpful.

The unit arrived with wires all the way back to the board but I cut and soldered !

You could always put a tester across the element to confirm. If not the element it may be something back in the control side and in that case.........

If you're feel ing brave cut the element wires and test. The wires can always be re-connected.

The element cost about £15 plus or minus a fiver - or thereabouts !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Our fridge works ok on gas and on 12V when engine is running but don't work on 240V, but the light comes on on the 240V switch when switched on, its an electrolux fridge model RM4217. Anybody got any idiea's of what the problem could be:Confused:

Jim.

The fact the light is coming on means the 240v feed is ok.

I agree the element might have gone.

Have you a cheap multimeter to hand?

If so, Disconnect the van from the mains supply first.

There should be a 240 v feed to a terminal block on the fridge.

Put the multimeter into ohms (resistance) range and measure across the live and neutral with the switch off and on.

You should see some resistance with the switch in the on position if the element is ok.

Twisting the thermostat should make this resistance change as it clicks on and off.

PS It's always handy to carry a cheap multimeter on the van for chacking electrical problems.Steve.

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
Check - there might be 2 x fuses on the board . . 1 for 12v & the other for 240v

OP
OP
Harp07

Harp07

Free Member
May 25, 2008
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Since 2008
Fridge problem.

Thank everyone for your thoughts on the fridge problem.:thanks:

Jim.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
hi, quick check that the thermostat is turned up normally the t/stat only works on 240v so if not been on mains it may be turned off or down-just a suggestion before you start cutting any wires!
regards, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
Harp07

Harp07

Free Member
May 25, 2008
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Since 2008
Fridge problem.

Fridge now working,Problem was when I bought the camper the sellers put a new 240V rocker switch on, when I pulled the fridge out and removed the wiring cover I found the live from the switch to the stat was not connected so fitted it back onto the stat and hey presto job done.:thumb:

Jim.

Manouche

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Another fridge not working on 240v

Electrolux RM4401 in a Hymer 584 year 2000

I've read the comments from the above posts and I have some questions I hope you can help with.

Firstly, the fridge was working fine, now it's working on gas and 12v only, green switch lights up so power getting to it.

I've tried putting a meter across live and neutral and testing for any resistance as suggested by "American Dream" and I get nothing. Either with the switch on or off, or by turning thermistat up or down.

I've looked everywhere for any hidden fuses, those Hymer people can be a little cunning when it comes to hiding fuses, but can find nothing.

So, question,.... if the element is burnt out, how difficult is it to replace, do I need to remove the fridge from its' housing to get at it ?.
Where else could the "Panel" be that Vic mentions that could hold some more fuses.

Thanks for looking, hope you can help. :Sad:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
So, question,.... if the element is burnt out, how difficult is it to replace, do I need to remove the fridge from its' housing to get at it ?.
Thanks for looking, hope you can help. :Sad:

It's not thatdifficult at all.
You may, or may not have to remove the fridege, it all depends on the size and position of the ventilation panels in the coachwork.
The element itself is VERY similar for both the 12 and 240 volt systems. It's shaped like an extended "L" where the long end pokes into a hole in the chimney housing. That's it! On all the ones I'ce seen, it's simply friction and the elements own weight which holds it in place. The only thing you might have to do is loosen the clips on the chimney insulation jacket and peel back the insulation to allow you to see the hole. Just be advised that the clips for the insulation jacket can sometimes be a bit of a pain to clip back together.

ps I see from your avatar that you are a retired BT engineer?
IMHO, ANYONE who can understand that witchcraft will have no problems at all with a fridge heater element ! :)

Last edited:

Manouche

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Thanks for the info Zaskar,
I'll be looking into it as soon as time allows.

PS, The reason I'm an "ex" BT engineer is because I wasn't that good:RollEyes:

I think I can manage a fridge though,.... armed with your advice.

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back