Fridge cooling fan

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Manic, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Manic

Manic Funster

I've recently fitted a Riech fridge fan kit and we had the fridge vent covers on due to being cold for a couple of days but the temperature went up a bit and then the fridge fan came on.
    So I'm thinking maybe the thermo switch is in the wrong position, so I would like to know where others have fitted their switch.

2. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Is that not exactly what the fan is supposed to do?
    The fan is designed to cool the back of the fridge when it gets too hot to work efficiently by increasing the airflow. Ours would be on almost constantly when in full sun in Morocco and running on gas.

3. Manic

Manic Funster

Yes it is what it's supposed to do but I just wondered if it was coming on too quickly.

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think the sensor is supposed to be a bit above and fairly close to the top of the evaporator. From memory it is set to a fairly high temperature, around 50C I think but that temperature is easily reached in normal operation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Just switch off manually
    Putting the covers on will increase the temperature due to reduced circulation
    Or take the top cover off and see how it goes

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I found putting covers on the top and bottom vents reduced the efficiency of the fridge, even in sub zero temperatures. I just put the bottom one on now, after all, the bottom is where the cold air comes in, the top is where hot air goes out, and it was getting too hot with the top cover on.
    We have a fridge fan kit fitted and the sensor is an inch or so above the middle of the evaporator coil.

• Like Like x 2