Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Hi,

Motorhome is parked outside tonight, packed for a trip over the weekend. It's connected to the mains and there are freezer packs in the fridge (and some frozen food). How long should it take for the fridge to get cold ?? 1-2 hours 3-4 hours, overnight ??

It'll be on vehicle battery on the road, then gas when we get to our destination . . .

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi,

Motorhome is parked outside tonight, packed for a trip over the weekend. It's connected to the mains and there are freezer packs in the fridge (and some frozen food). How long should it take for the fridge to get cold ?? 1-2 hours 3-4 hours, overnight ??

It'll be on vehicle battery on the road, then gas when we get to our destination .

We have switched fridge on to gas loaded up and left 1 hour later on 12 volt never lost any thing yet

Upvote 0

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
We usually wait about 4 hours and then load it, not had any problems to date and have been doing it that way for about 15 years caravan and mohome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my view is.....

fridge food isnt going to spoil if left out of the fridge for a couple of hours....it wasnt in a fridge as you walked around the supermarket then brought it home in the car.

frozen food isnt going to thaw if its put in an insulated box ( insulated box = freezer compartment of fridge) for a couple of hours....as above.

my point....load the food and turn the fridge on (gas or hookup) a.couple of hours before driving to get it down to a usable temperature...if it isnt quite cold enough it wont matter.

12v operation wont significantly cool the fridge...but it will maintain the temp it was at when switched to 12v

my fridge/freezer has no 12v mode and a few times i've forgot to turn on the gas for travelling.

the frozen food was still frozen 5 or 6 hours later

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our van is parked on our drive. I usually put it on EHU about 12 hours or so before we leave on a trip to cool the fridge down and then load the food just before we go.

The tropical Tees-side temperatures haven't beaten us yet ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Our van is parked on our drive. I usually put it on EHU about 12 hours or so before we leave on a trip to cool the fridge down and then load the food just before we go.

The tropical Tees-side temperatures haven't beaten us yet ::bigsmile:

Must be more than one Tees-side is there Graham.

if we need anything freezing when up there we nip into any local pub and get the bar staff to give it a glare....some are capable of freezing hell over. :winky:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Must be more than one Tees-side is there Graham.
Only mentioned it because Tim and family live about a mile from us ::bigsmile:
if we need anything freezing when up there we nip into any local pub and get the bar staff to give it a glare....some are capable of freezing hell over. :winky:
I see you're still working for Scarborough Tourism then :roflmto:

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Once down to temperature it will keep for a couple of days if not opened letting warm air in. Think about when there are power cuts. They advise you not to open your freezer and that things should be ok for a couple of days. Getting down to temp is a bit of trial and error, personal preference. I know some people that get excitable in the checkout queue if they have stuff for the fridge( other than beer and wine). But there are others I know that are happy to get their food then visit other shops on their way home. Do what you feel comfortable with. Don't do something that will have you worrying if your stuff is going off. Your trips are meant to be enjoyable.
I know that our fridge does not work the best on gas but it does keep stuff cooler than not being in the fridge so if we won't be on ehu we just shop a bit smarter.:Smile::Smile:

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
my view is.....

fridge food isnt going to spoil if left out of the fridge for a couple of hours....it wasnt in a fridge as you walked around the supermarket then brought it home in the car.

frozen food isnt going to thaw if its put in an insulated box ( insulated box = freezer compartment of fridge) for a couple of hours....as above.

my point....load the food and turn the fridge on (gas or hookup) a.couple of hours before driving to get it down to a usable temperature...if it isnt quite cold enough it wont matter.

12v operation wont significantly cool the fridge...but it will maintain the temp it was at when switched to 12v

my fridge/freezer has no 12v mode and a few times i've forgot to turn on the gas for travelling.

the frozen food was still frozen 5 or 6 hours later

Fine if it works in your van. Our fridge actually warms up when you first put it on before getting colder. So we wouldn't put food in until its been on for a few hours.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back