Fridge cool down

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by chopper602, Aug 22, 2013.

1. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

Hi,

Motorhome is parked outside tonight, packed for a trip over the weekend. It's connected to the mains and there are freezer packs in the fridge (and some frozen food). How long should it take for the fridge to get cold ?? 1-2 hours 3-4 hours, overnight ??

It'll be on vehicle battery on the road, then gas when we get to our destination . . .

2. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

3. Merle

Merle Funster

We usually wait about 4 hours and then load it, not had any problems to date and have been doing it that way for about 15 years caravan and mohome

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

my view is.....

fridge food isnt going to spoil if left out of the fridge for a couple of hours....it wasnt in a fridge as you walked around the supermarket then brought it home in the car.

frozen food isnt going to thaw if its put in an insulated box ( insulated box = freezer compartment of fridge) for a couple of hours....as above.

my point....load the food and turn the fridge on (gas or hookup) a.couple of hours before driving to get it down to a usable temperature...if it isnt quite cold enough it wont matter.

12v operation wont significantly cool the fridge...but it will maintain the temp it was at when switched to 12v

my fridge/freezer has no 12v mode and a few times i've forgot to turn on the gas for travelling.

the frozen food was still frozen 5 or 6 hours later

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Our van is parked on our drive. I usually put it on EHU about 12 hours or so before we leave on a trip to cool the fridge down and then load the food just before we go.

The tropical Tees-side temperatures haven't beaten us yet :BigGrin:

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Must be more than one Tees-side is there Graham.

if we need anything freezing when up there we nip into any local pub and get the bar staff to give it a glare....some are capable of freezing hell over. :Wink:

7. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

Handbook says 12 hours on ours before down to temp:Angry:

8. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

We did a 27 hour ferry trip to Norway in 2007 - no EHU on boat. Fridge and freezer both fully packed and nothing spoilt!

• Like Like x 1
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Only mentioned it because Tim and family live about a mile from us :BigGrin:
    I see you're still working for Scarborough Tourism then :Laughing:

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Cans of beer and boxes of wine don't count :Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Once down to temperature it will keep for a couple of days if not opened letting warm air in. Think about when there are power cuts. They advise you not to open your freezer and that things should be ok for a couple of days. Getting down to temp is a bit of trial and error, personal preference. I know some people that get excitable in the checkout queue if they have stuff for the fridge( other than beer and wine). But there are others I know that are happy to get their food then visit other shops on their way home. Do what you feel comfortable with. Don't do something that will have you worrying if your stuff is going off. Your trips are meant to be enjoyable.
    I know that our fridge does not work the best on gas but it does keep stuff cooler than not being in the fridge so if we won't be on ehu we just shop a bit smarter.:Smile::Smile:

12. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Fine if it works in your van. Our fridge actually warms up when you first put it on before getting colder. So we wouldn't put food in until its been on for a few hours.