Fridge alarm on 12v help please! (1 Viewer)

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
My dometic fridge works on gas and ehu but when I turn it to 12v when on the move and the engine running the green light comes on to indicate it is working but there is a very audible buzzing noise/alarm.
Trouble shooting in the manuel states if it is not working on 12v change 16a fuse. But it does appear to be working just with an alarm. Has anyone encountered this before and what is the fix? I haven't got any 16 a fuses on me but I'll get one today. Also I'm guessing the fuse is on my main fuse board in the Hab area rather than one in the fridge, am I guessing correctly?
Crossing from Ireland now and will be spending a couple of days in burnham on sea Somerset before catching the Portsmouth to Bilbao crossing on Wednesday. Anyone know someone near burnham on sea with dometic fridge expertise?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi Jimiol ,make sure your step is in properly as on mine the relay for fridge and step is the same ,so same supply and step alarm may be the issue .:)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My thoughts as well. Try turning fridge off then start vehicle, if buzzing is still there, then step.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
Hi Jimiol ,make sure your step is in properly as on mine the relay for fridge and step is the same ,so same supply and step alarm may be the issue .:)
Thanks guys I don't have a step. Nor did it ever have one my vans not that posh.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My thoughts as well. Try turning fridge off then start vehicle, if buzzing is still there, then step.
OK, no step, still try with fridge off to either eliminate or confirm it's the fridge.

OP
OP
jimiol

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
OK, no step, still try with fridge off to either eliminate or confirm it's the fridge.
Thanks there is no alarm sound other than when the engine is running AND the fridge switched to 12v.
I have plenty of charge in my 2 leisure and one cab batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If would help if you let us know make & model.
We had the alarm going off randomly on our Dometic 8505, turned out to be the door open alarm, the spring steel strip that operates the micro switch had gone a bit flat. A quick re-bend sorted it out, it is in the same housing as the LED light.

If it is only on 12v it could be the contacts on the relay that feeds the fridge are carboned up giving high resistance and the alarm is for low volts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back