Fridge advice

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by butters, Mar 31, 2014.

1. butters

butters Read Only Funster

We had full hook up this weekend and noticed that the fridge was not cooling. on the journey home i set it to 12V and it was working , any ideas why it wasn't working on hook up ? None of the switches has switched off.:Eek!:

2. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

is it AES? 12 volt on AES only works when engine is running, and then at other times if "automatic" is selected the most efficient source is selected be that gas or electric. if 12volt was selected when parked up it will not work, - you need to select either automatic or electric or gas.

3. butters

On hook up we switched to the hook up icon, as it wasn't getting cool i decided on the way home just to use 12V which worked. It makes me thing that there was something wrong with the hook up although all the lights etc. worked.

4. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

so you got power to it, but not cooling function? Try on hook up at home, then if it doesnt work, there must be a hook up function fault. Have you tried it on gas?

5. butters

Not yet will try it again next weekend, thanks for your help:BigGrin:

6. landscaper

landscaper Funster

Was your motor home level? our fridge will not work unless it is fairly level - we spent three weeks in france with the fridge working whilst in transit (battery) and then working on some sites and not others - we eventually worked out it was to do with the levelling. Always make sure we are as level as we can be now and no probs!

7. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Do you have your trip switch under the sink or anywhere where it can be easily knocked? I had the exact same problem a couple of weeks ago. I checked the 240 supply was ok by runnng a light off it . It took me a couple of hours of checking various things when I decided to check the trip......lo and behold I had obviously knocked it when putting something away. Worth a look :BigGrin:

8. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

If it's a 3 way and the 240v function is not working you probably need a new 240v Element.
    I had to fit one in my caravan a year or two back.
    They cost around £28 and fitting them is straightforward enough (make sure the fridge is isolated from all electric power sources before you start), it's getting to the thing that can cause a problem.

9. malheg

malheg Funster

Fridge fault

We had the same problem with our fridge (Dometic) and when parked on our drive there is a slight slope.
    The first time we tried on the drive the fridge would not cool down except on gas.
    Returned to dealer who tested and said all OK, but mentioned if parked on a slope, which we had.
    Levelled off the van and all OK. Not had a problem since.
    Malc:thumb: