Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Having drained down the fresh water, heater etc. we are still using the MH.
Easy enough to fill up again but WHEN, what do others do, fill before you go and trawl many litres of water from A to B, OR fill when you get there. Common sense says fill at destination BUT is this always a convenient option, if everyone did that there could be a potential queue inconveniencing others.
Advice please as we are newbies.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thought about this , this week, going to France for four days on Friday, was going to go empty and fill up at gravelines when we get there but then thought what if the taps there are frozen or turned off in case, so afraid we are going to have to drag it with us but in all honesty I don't think it makes a lot of difference to performance or mpg whether full or empty, as long as it doesn't put you over weight it doesn't really matter. And you have the chance of stopping anywhere without worrying about filling up.::bigsmile:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi Dogman
What we do, is to fill the tank to cover for the time we are traveling on a particular run
If you know where you are going and it takes only a few hours, then put a few gallons in to get you though one day, if you are covering a much longer distance and are not sure when you will be able to fill up again, IE Spain then fill the tank a bit more.
You will soon find out your daily use
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
Just so you know, I have not filled up on some occasions and Liz was left in the shower covered in soap and yelling her head off :Doh:
Not a good day for me after that :cry::cry::cry:
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Assuming your water system is inside the van, it is best at this time of year to travel full.

You can never be sure of a fresh water supply at your destination, especially on aires. Many outside taps are turned off to prevent frost damage, either that or they are already frozen!

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Regardless of the weather we always travel with the fresh water tank full, and run with the tank heaters on.
Due to water tablets and age we both seem to have a toilet stop every 30 minutes, not to mention putting the kettle on.

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Slightly off subject so sorry in advance... But Can anyone advise me how to get the taste out of our tank. We have a not too pleasant taste when we use the water from the on board tank, have had since getting the van in March. Ours is a 2002 autocriuse. Currently for drinking we use a 10 litre tank from our camping days to get round this.

OP
OP
dogman

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
As usual some good advice from those with more experience than I have, many thanks to the above posters. We have (once) stayed at a CL site and there was water less than 10 metres from the MH, no problem there, also been to CC sites where the water point was some distance from the van and NOT possible to fill without moving, so the thing I am concerned about is the lack of consistency in the service provided. The CC has a minimum standard I know, this you can rely on without doubt but it is the way the service is delivered that cannot be relied upon, some are better than others.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Slightly off subject so sorry in advance... But Can anyone advise me how to get the taste out of our tank. We have a not too pleasant taste when we use the water from the on board tank, have had since getting the van in March. Ours is a 2002 autocriuse. Currently for drinking we use a 10 litre tank from our camping days to get round this.

We started using a £5 water filter jug this year - as we were carting 3x 5ltr water bottles around with us for drinking use, and we needed to shed some weight...so a 1kg jug replaced 15kg water and water tastes fine, we do put some additives in the water tank every so often as well to kill little beasties.

and in answer to the OP...we fill to full whenever we leave somewhere in the morning that has water...never know where we will stop the next night!! plus the van rides a lot better with a full tank (140ltr) and the difference in fuel economy in ours is next to nothing...

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Fill up when you can - and you can when you're at home, so fill up there. One less thing to do at first destination, and if you're concerned about the impact of a few kg of water on fuel consumption - fahgeddabahdit. Have you ever noticed a difference in consumption when driving a car solo or with a passenger? There are no downsides to setting off with a tank full of water!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As usual some good advice from those with more experience than I have, many thanks to the above posters. We have (once) stayed at a CL site and there was water less than 10 metres from the MH, no problem there, also been to CC sites where the water point was some distance from the van and NOT possible to fill without moving, so the thing I am concerned about is the lack of consistency in the service provided. The CC has a minimum standard I know, this you can rely on without doubt but it is the way the service is delivered that cannot be relied upon, some are better than others.

Unless you want to pay extra for a fully serviced pitch, I don't think you can expect to always have a water tap within hosepipe reach. Most of us carry a watering can for short-term topping up. :Smile:

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating

We had a similar problem on a boat we owned, we got rid of the smell of , chlorine in that case, by fitting a 'nature pure drinking water purification system. It worked so well we bought one and fitted it to the motor home as it also gets rid of germs and chemical nasties, so should be good for Spain and Portugal! They cost about £250 but you do get what you pay for, plus it saves karting bottles of water around!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We had a similar problem on a boat we owned, we got rid of the smell of , chlorine in that case, by fitting a 'nature pure drinking water purification system. It worked so well we bought one and fitted it to the motor home as it also gets rid of germs and chemical nasties, so should be good for Spain and Portugal! They cost about £250 but you do get what you pay for, plus it saves karting bottles of water around!

Alternatively, drain off all water them put some Milton solution in and fill whole system, leave for a few hours and then run taps for a bit, then drain and flush through with plenty of fresh water. Job done, fully serialized and as cheap as chips.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Alternatively, drain off all water them put some Milton solution in and fill whole system, leave for a few hours and then run taps for a bit, then drain and flush through with plenty of fresh water. Job done, fully serialized and as cheap as chips.
I read on here recently that you should never use Milton in metal tanks

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I read on here recently that you should never use Milton in metal tanks

Yes , I read that as well, used to use it and never had a problem but now use the tablets you drop in called " aqua clean" from any caravan place or outdoor stores never noticed smell or taste, and only use them about every third fill unless the supply looks a bit iffy. And fingers crossed, no problems::bigsmile::thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I would never drink the water from my tank , alright if it is boiled first, always carry fresh water for drinking in seperate containers, always have done this in the last 30 years of having caravans.You can buy the stuff for cleaning out the tanks, from caravan/motor home dealers or on line, forget what it is called, I had te chrystals, can get the liquid I believe.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have a 25 gallon tank.. That equates to ABOUT the same as a slightly chubby adult..

Sooooo, yup, we always fill before we travel as it really does not make THAT much difference :Smile:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

£250:Eeek:

Wilkinsons water filter jug...£5

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We set off with a full tank and fill to the brim at every opportunity, unless the tap looks iffy. We generally drink the water out of the tank and eat out of date food!
We are off to France on Friday for a few days too. If your on the tunnel Chaser, we might see you.
Allan

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We had a newish caravan with tainted water and we think it was the pipes that did it as the water came from a barrel, we took 5L bottles for drinking.
We keep a filter Jug by the sink and all drinking/kettle water comes from that and it means I don't have to take additional water.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We set off with a full tank and fill to the brim at every opportunity, unless the tap looks iffy. We generally drink the water out of the tank and eat out of date food!
We are off to France on Friday for a few days too. If your on the tunnel Chaser, we might see you.
Allan

We are on the tunnel as well, think its 3.50 or round about ::bigsmile:
Just been informed its 14.20

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We are on the tunnel as well, think its 3.50 or round about ::bigsmile:
Just been informed its 14.20

Looks like we are going 2 hours after you at 16:20. We are travelling down towards Rennes ( actually between Alencon and Rennes) to look at some houses and to see if we like the area enough to move to.
Allan

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
water

Like you daisy we don't drink from the tank but use it for washing etc.
We carry a 10l container for brews and start with an empty tank and fill it on the first site.
Whilst in Spain we filter the tap water and after 8 yrs so far so good:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back