Fresh Water....where's it gone ! (1 Viewer)

Crispy

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi,
Im a newbie to motorhoming, purchased my Elddis Sunseeker 120 in December and had my first venture at the weekend just to try everything out. (Im a lone female traveller with dog !). I had a problem with my fresh water in that when filling, my gauge showed full but I quickly ran out. I realise the van has a capacity of 45L which I now realise is not alot ! but in two days I had to fill up twice (no use of shower on board so only cuppas and washing up). Im wondering if I have a faulty gauge showing the tank as full when it isnt. Ive asked a friend who states I should be able to take a lid off my tank and see the water level. I cant even find my tank !!!!!!!!!! Anyone any ideas ? Im sure I will look back on my silly questions one day and smile.....but not just yet !:cry:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi,
Im a newbie to motorhoming, purchased my Elddis Sunseeker 120 in December and had my first venture at the weekend just to try everything out. (Im a lone female traveller with dog !). I had a problem with my fresh water in that when filling, my gauge showed full but I quickly ran out. I realise the van has a capacity of 45L which I now realise is not alot ! but in two days I had to fill up twice (no use of shower on board so only cuppas and washing up). Im wondering if I have a faulty gauge showing the tank as full when it isnt. Ive asked a friend who states I should be able to take a lid off my tank and see the water level. I cant even find my tank !!!!!!!!!! Anyone any ideas ? Im sure I will look back on my silly questions one day and smile.....but not just yet !:cry:

Gauges are only a guide and cannot be fully relied upon. I fill my tank until it overflows the gauge then read ¾ however next time i read it it will slowly rise to full and stay there for ages while drawing water.

Most tanks have an overflow so when water come out of the overflow it is as full as you are going to get it.

45 litres is much smaller than the 120 litres in my tank which lasts us about 3 days.

You do not say what your vehicle is. There are so many different types it is difficult to give a general answer that fits all.

John

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi
Does not sound a silly question.
Cannot help with looking into the tank but gauges are not very accurate (that’s putting it mildly). I fill my tank, which is around 45 litres, up to the brim and it then lasts 3 to 4 days. The gauge does go up to full but quickly drops to around a quarter, where it stops for a while and then it drops to empty. I can usually get another days water from the tank after the gauge shows empty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First of all welcome to Fun.

Second, don't be afraid to ask silly questions as we were all beginners once and all asked them :Smile:

Third, don't trust the water gauge as all we Elddis/Compass owners have the same problem - they don't work :Smile:

The layout of our van (dinette) is different from yours but I would expect that (like ours) your water tank is just inboard of the filler inlet, either under a seat or in the bottom of the wardrobe.

I don't rely on the gauge but normally fill the tank until water just starts to drip from the external overflow - which is a reliable indicator of a full tank. The tank is only really empty if water no longer comes out of the taps (though there may be water below pump level which will only drain away through the external drain.

You'll soon get used to how much water you use and how often you need to fill up.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Crispy, that is a lot of tea! I bet your cassette loo fills up as fast as your water dissapears::bigsmile: That is nearly ten gallons (I think) and should last a little longer than you describe. Make sure that you do not have a leak in your tank, or that your overflow is not siphoning out your water as you travel,

Meanwhile, welcome to the fun:thumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Fresh water... where's it gone

Hi,
I have filled my tank to overflowing and the gauge has read empty!!!

Fill it till it pours out of the spout that you are filling it form and check that nothing is dripping out from somewhere else.

As a solo traveller, I use about 50 Litres for a fri to sunday weekend with all washing up, drinking, 2 showers and all loo flushes!!! :Blush:

Where did you get the van from? maybe they can advise size of tank?

Keep us posted, Sue :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Even the best gauges are not very accurate as they usually work with a series of wires of different lengths dipping in the tank which gives a reading due to the conductivity of the water, thus one that is spot on will read full when only 3/4. Fill until it comes out the overflow if it has one, otherwise till it comes back out of the filler (stand back:roflmto:)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ours takes about a 1/4 tank (according to the guage) to fill up the heating system when we first switch on - so my wife tells me - things technical are her department.

I concentrate on the more mundane elements of set up - awning erection for one:RollEyes:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
You do not say what your vehicle is

Oh but she does - a Elddis Sunseeker 120

Hi and Welcome, hope you solve your water problem.

Dale

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
45L should last for 3-4 days for a single person with ease - including quick showers.

All good advice above, but also remember to run water through cold and hot taps as you are filling (if from empty) - as otherwise your boiler may be empty - and so when you first turn a hot tap on you "lose" 13L of water filling the boiler?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back