Fresh water tank advice please

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by offwego, Aug 18, 2011.

1. offwego

offwego Read Only Funster

Hi all,
    As a novice to this game, I would like some advice from you experienced motorhomers with regard to the fresh water tank when not touring. Is it best to completely empty the tank or fill it up adding a water purifier in the process (Inherited a bottle of Katadyn Micropur from the previous owner)
    I live in SW France and it concerns me that with the high temperatures experienced recently this could lead to unwanted bacteria problems.
    Look forward to your informed replies :thumb:

offwego

2. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Good question. :thumb:

Welcome :welcome:

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I work on the basis that bacteria need water. Dried meats, jams and many other foods are preserved by the removal of available water, so I follow the same logic with regards to the fresh tank. I drain down after each trip (trying to ensure I don't get home with a lot of fresh water still on board), then aim to get as much out as possible. I use my (clean) hand to sweep the residual water to the drain hole. Then I leave the inspection plug on top of the tank open but resting over its aperture to allow air in, vapour out and prevent debris falling in.
    Before filling up next time, I have a 'squint' into the tank to check for debris / insects etc.; give the tank a quick swill - just half an inch, or less - then reinsert the drain bung and fill up. Sounds like a lot of work but only takes a few minutes in practice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

5. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Perhaps I am alone in my thinking, I often am; but I never drain down my fresh water tank except in winter.
    As my van is 13 years old I am sceptical that the fresh water is ever fresh, the sediment from 13 years must be there. Consequently I never drink water from the fresh water tank without first boiling it, then it is great in tea or coffee; the residue in the kettle is then fine for washing up. The water in the fresh water tank is fine for washing and showering and for use when cooking and preparing vegetables when once again it is boiled.
    For the limited amount of "fresh water" we need we have a couple of bottles stored away which we either renew or refill depending on where we happen to be.

Norman

• Like Like x 1
  6. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Never drained my tank in my boat or my MH in 11 years, never added any additives in 11 years, always drank the tank water, in the last 4 years I have been using a nature pure filter and that is to remove the chlorine taste that is in tap water.

Neither my wife nor I or our friends and visitors have ever reported any health problems due to water.

Doug...

• Like Like x 2
  7. EJB

EJB Read Only Funster

Just a point.........many chemicals will harm tanks, pipes and fitting if left in for any length of time.
    We empty ours after every trip and refill for each new trip and use no filters/chemicals.

8. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

the equ to miltons at tesco,,,87 p and will treat 150 ltrs,, pour in and leave for a day ,,,drain and refill and offf we got ,,,lot less hassel than fill,re fill and clean :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: oh by the way not harm full to babys so not harmfull to you

9. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We empty the water tank when we've finished each trip. Fill it when we go out again, once we get to where ever. Sterilize it a couple of times a year with milton.
    We drink the water as well as use it for everything else.
    Saying that the motorhomes only left 3 weeks at the very most before using it again , as we usually go off every other weekend.

10. tommytli

tommytli Funster

i drain ours every trip more to keep in the habbit of doing it so i dont forget in the winter:Blush:

11. aba

aba

never have emptied ours or sterilised it.
    we use it for everything but we live in the van so there is plenty of water going in and out every week.
    there is so much chemical in tap water to kill bacteria etc plus the water main has probably been full of the same stuff for years just moving a bit and mixing with more of the same.

• Like Like x 1
  12. offwego

offwego Read Only Funster

Thanks

Apologies for not replying sooner, but thanks to all of you that responded to my question concerning the fresh water tank.

13. MAUBRI

MAUBRI Funster

Hi Doug I agree, I've had 3 Motorhomes over 25 years and I have used the Nature Pure system from the USA for drinking and have never emptied or even cleaned my tanks it was costly initialy but a replacement filter annualy is all that is required. I would highly recommend this system to anyone.

Brian