Frequent Traveller - Eurotunnel (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hello everyone. :)

Not having done the Frequent Traveller thing before, is it still a viable option if we partner up with someone, and are the crossing slots plentiful, or scarce?

We'd be possibly looking at 4 x single crossings between December 2016 and August 2017, if anyone is looking for a partner.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Jock we have used it for the last 2 years, partnering up with @DavidG58. We have always got crossings for the date and times that we want and it's brilliant because you can go into your account and change them at will.

The only thing to remember is that your 12 months starts from when you join the scheme.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I did this last year partnered with my Parents. worked really well and had no issues. Book early to confirm your times and dates as you can easily change them if you want to. A great saving if you can get over often enough to make it pay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks so far for the replies. (y)

We have to rush out now, but I'll pick up on this again tomorrow morning.

Cheers for now,

Jock. :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the odd thing about the package is you have to book 10 x single trips, which then do not divide equally between 2 sharers, we were blessed by matching with Dawn and Martin who clearly have both more free time and more disposable income than us (y)

but in your example Jock, you will need someone prepared to buy the other three crossings, only one party pays Eurotunnel for the whole package, then sort it out between yourselves, at that point you only pay for a car crossing, but when you actually book your crossings, you then add on MH pets etc and pay for those as extras at that time only, you make the additional payments yourself even if you are the 'other half'

decent savings to be had (y)

but as @Mousy Dawn says, leave booking as late as possible, you must have returned on the last trip on or before the day before the anniversary date

BTW Dawn you are not a mousy Dawn as it reads, although as insults go I guess it could be a lot worse (y):)

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
We did this year with @Whitebirdyman which worked well for us (y) It's minimum of 10 crossings and maximum 150:Eeek: Much cheaper and very easy to alter bookings online.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Am wandering about this as I understand it the basic trips cost 45 each way and then the extras.

Might be a dumb question but how do you calc the extras?

Have you managed to figure out the savings?

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We partnered with another Funster for the first time this year, they needed 6 crossings and we took the other 4. We find the available time slots reasonable and will certainly look for another (or the same!!) partner when we're ready.

A one way crossing for MH is £54 (43 car rate paid in advance plus 11 for MH) we're very happy with that. You can pay extra if you want to travel at a more popular time but we haven't felt the need.

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Am wandering about this as I understand it the basic trips cost 45 each way and then the extras.

Might be a dumb question but how do you calc the extras?

Have you managed to figure out the savings?

The 'extra' for a MH is £11 so with basic £44 it would be £55. You would have to avoid peak times but if for any reason you want to travel at a peak time you can pay the extra amount.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We share with a neighbour - it's an excellent scheme. If you can't use 5 returns in twelve months and decide to partner with somebody else (you can only have a maximum of two people on the account), they do not need to have a motorhome, because the pre-paid single tickets are for a car @ £43 each. Supplement for a motorhome is £11, so a total of £108 return for a motorhome and up to about 6 or 9 passengers (not sure of the number).

Good value - especially July and August; excellent flexibility - you can change crossings as many times as required without charge at any time up to 24 hours before originally scheduled travel; and there is generally good availability.

We normally only pre-book an outbound crossing and decide whilst we're away when to come home. Just book that online the day beforehand.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
we've used this. in July we werent sure if we were going to use the motorhome or nip over in the car
Very helpful staff advising book for M'home as those slots more difficult at peak times at short notice. Absolutely no hassle gettingthe £11 refund, Very straight forward

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks again all. (y)

We are trying to work something out with @Xabia, but dependent upon dates, as we only need 8 x crossings between us.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita. :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
you can change crossings as many times as required without charge at any time up to 24 hours before originally scheduled travel; and there is generally good availability..
I think it is better than that. Last week we booked a return at about 11am. Sat in Cite Europe the night before we changed it to about 9:30am. When we got there we were offered an even earlier crossing and drove straight into the boarding area.

The additional amount you pay is £11 for a motorhome, making the crossing £54. If you want to cross from Folkestone before 4pm or from Calais after 2pm then you have to pay an extra £20.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I think it is better than that. Last week we booked a return at about 11am. Sat in Cite Europe the night before we changed it to about 9:30am. When we got there we were offered an even earlier crossing and drove straight into the boarding area.

The additional amount you pay is £11 for a motorhome, making the crossing £54. If you want to cross from Folkestone before 4pm or from Calais after 2pm then you have to pay an extra £20.
Ah ha, interesting - perhaps it's the day before, rather than 24 hours - very good service whatever.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks again all. (y)

We are trying to work something out with @Xabia, but dependent upon dates, as we only need 8 x crossings between us.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita. :)
It would still be cheaper not using the other 2 than paying normal rates for the 8.

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
16 quid each way, but even so it's a great system if you travel a lot, we've arrived a day early than our booking and got straight on.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I think you have to consider the time of year you intend travelling . We always do P&O ferries Dover-Calais but never in the summer. The last four trips with our 7.2m MH, two on board, it has never cost us more than £50 each way.
We booked last Monday 3rd with P&O to travel 12.55pm Dover-Calais on Thursday 6th. £47.50 Arrived at checking at 11.40am and they put us on the 12.05pm (which was listed at £64 when I booked on the Monday)
You have to be flexible with your sailing times so that you can pick the cheapest and book at least 48hrs in advance

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I think you have to consider the time of year you intend travelling . We always do P&O ferries Dover-Calais but never in the summer. The last four trips with our 7.2m MH, two on board, it has never cost us more than £50 each way.
We booked last Monday 3rd with P&O to travel 12.55pm Dover-Calais on Thursday 6th. £47.50 Arrived at checking at 11.40am and they put us on the 12.05pm (which was listed at £64 when I booked on the Monday)
You have to be flexible with your sailing times so that you can pick the cheapest and book at least 48hrs in advance
Yes BUT that's a ferry

And some, including me are adverse to sea crossings!

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Its not a sea crossing I'm adverse to its the dump they call Dover. Think the place should be flattened, just not fit for purpose.

Only reason we use tunnel is because of Dover, ferries are cheaper and with Dunkirk more choice. Now we are going France in the van, our first time this year but been 3 times so far, it maybe worth our while, even if we pay have to pay for 6 but only use 4 next year.

But I am still not clear how you calc the extras, is there a published price list?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back