Free Member
Jun 8, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
6 months
Thanks Frankie, you are very kind. Everyone has been so helpful here it's a fantastic group. :Cool:

You are totally right when you talk about pedestrians expecting you , "drivers" to stop ! It is a real problem as the law says , as soon as a pedestrian has one foot on the road that's it you're outlaw if you don't stop . This, as a lot of things , I guess, leads to abuses of all sorts!
It drives me mad, as sometimes they cross on a "speed part" while they have pedestrian crosses a bit further (BTW , the only time a pedestrian is wrong is when he crosses at less than 50 metres from a pedestrian cross.... then you can get reall .... cross::bigsmile: , yeah you can swear too .... I do:Blush::Blush: ... and just love it ... I shout for all the times I could not::bigsmile:::bigsmile:... and give them all sorts of sweet names (No I won't tell you which ones :Angry:)

Anyway , talking of pedestrians , don't forget when you'll cross the road to watch out FIRST LEFT and then right!

Now ...; Have fun!!! And if you're still nervous , PM me I'll give you my mobile number so you can TEXT me for some help and I 'll either TEXT you back or CALL you back depending on how free I am with my work ! Ok??

Safe trip!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes I have to agree with all the above. You'll be surprised how quickly you relax and settle into driving in France. I remember how scary it was the first time I drove off the ferry and worried about driving on the right, but within minutes I realised it wasn't as scary as I'd thought.

Not sure how you are fixed for gas but be aware that in France they don't have british gas supplies (e.g. Calor) so you'll need a french gas bottle and regulator. Get your gas (as with your deisel) from the large supermarkets. It's cheaper than motorways or petrol stations.

And, who knows, if you have your funster badge on display we may well see you over there. ::bigsmile:

Wyn

bobbysgirlold

Free Member
Mar 10, 2012
Lower Farringdon
Funster No
MH
Hobby Classic
Exp
Since 2009
Trip to France

Hi We have just returned from France and we stayed overnight at the camp municipal in Calais which is next to the Aire. The campsite is directly opposite the ferry terminal and there are some nice little restaurants nearby. France is a wonderful place for motorhoming, the roads are brilliant - even the yellow roads are good though smaller. We don't use motorways unless its necessary and go for the wonderful rivers and mountains. Have a good trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , About gas bottles , we only took 2 x 6kg propane and a small camping gas for barbeque for 2 weeks came back with at least half that amount and only stopped on campsite 1 night with electric. Remember RELAX its easy.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Kathc common sense prevails take you time get lost enjoy the views, head north when you return home and you will be booking your next trip in no time, If you cannot find a Aire to stay overnight in and fancy just parking up again common sense, if you feel uncomfortable move on, as previously stated start looking about mid afternoon this will give you time to explore the area and make a decision. Go and enjoy.

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
Whoops!! NO !!! It used to be like this ages ago ... not anymore , people on the round about have priority !!!! Now you might have thought so Roger as frenchies don't care about rules , but do obey the rules Kathy ..PLEASE!

Sorry Roger , don't want to upset you , but would not like Newbies to be in troubles in France!!

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

Frankie's right. I have found that french people are very mindful of traffic rules. Driving in France is a joy compared with UK as drivers are generally more considerate and non-aggressive although city ring-roads can be v. busy and somewhat hairy!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Frankie's right. I have found that french people are very mindful of traffic rules. Driving in France is a joy compared with UK as drivers are generally more considerate and non-aggressive although city ring-roads can be v. busy and somewhat hairy!
One thing try not to flash your lights to let someone in or to say your giving way over there they take it as aggression ( I always over here let people in at side roads etc but got very stern looks and verbal gbh when over there)
also look out for Priorite droite signs it means vehicles from the right have priority and they dont even look to see if anything is coming!!!
Terry:Cool:

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Can't help re tips or good stopping places as I'm new to it all as well. Just wanted to welcome you. Have a fab time in France and I look forward to hearing of your adventures on your return ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Is the Priorite a Droite raodsign stil the same ? ie pale yellow with a diamond on its side, delineated by two black lines?

It's easy enough to miss till M le Yokel suddenly pulls out in front of you in his 1953 Citroen upside down pram ! (and usually at the speed of yer average upside down pram ....) :roflmto:

Personally I seem to observe that he sits there for ages waiting to see if you are going to grind to a halt, and just as you decide he ain't gonna exercise his rights and decide to accelerate after all - he does ....... :Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ooops, Trophychap has just pointed out my typos smack on the first line. LOL

Join us or log in to post a reply.