sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
we are looking at stopping on some sites in france with the odd Aires here and there as first time abroad,,,,,are we better off being in cc or ccc or do we not need any of them,,,,we were in ccc last year,,but have not re newed this year yet,,,,,i know a lot of you will give us the info we need......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You wont need either CC or C&CC in France but if you are traveling out of peak season it would be worth joining the ACSI scheme for discounted pitch prices.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Forget the UK clubs they are a waste of space once you have crossed the channel. I agree the ACSI scheme is good, but only out of the peak season. Aires are the way to go, They are cheap, safe and usually close to town centres. I expect other will be along soon to sell UK compiled directories, but I suggest you get this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/2358390321/?tag=mhf04-21 If you prefer to stay out in the sticks then joining France Passion will be useful. Broken Link Removed

Before you go check out your plastic cards. Many Aires now only take plastic for parking and water, some card charge a commission and fees when used. My Halifax debit card charge 2.75% commission on every transaction and a £1.50 fee to get cash from the hole in the wall. Yet my Halifax Clarity credit card charges neither. Although I pay interest on cash withdraws until its paid off it still cheaper than the debit card. So read the terms and conditions from your bank.

Food wise we take food for four days so we don't have to worry on the first days in France when we are usually traveling. After that we make sure we have two days in stock, that way we don't get caught out on Sundays or when the French throw in an unexpected public holiday.
Enjoy your trip
Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
a lot of municiple sites are as little as 11euros inc ehu ,all the water you can carry and the use of all facilities .i dont think even ACSI discounts can match this. some aires are now charging 7-9 euros just to park up !

kat_lewis

Free Member
May 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since a nipper but only got back into it seriously recently when we inherited my mum's van
On the subject of public holidays next dates are 29th may, 8th and 9th June.

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
we are looking at 3rd week of july onwards,,,,,thanks again everyone for all the help.....:thumb::thumb:

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
we are looking at 3rd week of july onwards,,,,,thanks again everyone for all the help.....:thumb::thumb:

You will be there in the Peak season, which is usually end of July into mid August.
You will not be able to use an ACSI card for this period, however we were in France for the whole of July and August last year, mainly staying on the aires without problem.
My advice would be to get to the aires early, just after lunch, and move relatively short distances when travelling between aires.
Also use the Municipal sites they can be very good.
Use this link http://www.camping-municipal.org/index.htm :thumb:

Where exactly do you intend visiting ?

Last edited:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
if you want to stay on sites have a look at camping cheques.they are a good standby in the off season.we use them quite a bit.:thumb::thumb:

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Get the Caravan Club's Caravan Europe sites guide to France. Includes loads of s sites, including municipals which are usually tremendous value. We have never found the need to book. Have a wonderful time.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
a lot of municiple sites are as little as 11euros inc ehu ,all the water you can carry and the use of all facilities .i dont think even ACSI discounts can match this. some aires are now charging 7-9 euros just to park up !

What are municiple sites? I have just learned of Aires and ACSI. What are these?

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
they are campsites run by the local authority [ie council] . so they all have to be to a set standard and price. they are set up as a local amenity, so they are usually within walking distance of a village /shops etc . they can also carry a star rating [1-4 i think] and by the way, dont let a low star rating put you off a site. the 4 star sites will probably have swimming pools etc and a number of other things [24hour reception,retaurant etc ]that im sure as a motorhomer you can live without. we have stayed on 1and 2star sites for 11-14euros a night that would put many a private uk site to shame that are charging £20+. regards garry

nb obviously peak season prices are higher than i have quoted .

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
French camping

As has been said, ACSI is not for high season, and even the Aires will be busy in popular regions, but when going abroad we always have All The Aires and ACSi and the Caravan Club Europe books with us. As to whether you choose proper sites or Aires, much depends on personal preference. If we are in the area for a one or two day stopover, I'd happily use an Aire and just keep moving on, but we do like to stay in some locations for several days, and for that would search out proper campsites. Good thing about France, especially in high season, is that there are loads of campsites.

Happy camping!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back