French trip 1st October advice needed (1 Viewer)

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We have travelled around England this summer in our motorhome and plan to go to France on the 1st October for up to 4 weeks. Its our first time to France.
We have missed out on cheap tunnel tickets through Tesco as we have to book over 14 days in advance so not even sure of how we will cross over to France
We have all the extra items sorted, breathalizer,yellow jackets etc.
We do not know the best way to go down to the South of France?
We have looked at going across to Nantes and down the West coast or straight down to Montpellier.
Once in the South of France we plan to drive along maybe into Italy and back up passing close to Geneva.
We plan to stop on as many of the ACSI sites as possible
The things we want from the trip are,
Our 12 year old son loves swimming but it may be to cold in the sea in October?
We love hills and mountains but as we live in Norfolk we do not like flat scenery as much.
We would like to go over the Menia bridge if possible
Our motorhome is a A class just over 4 tonne.
Are we best to get down to the South of France as quick as possible or take a more pretty route?
Do we need any special type of electrical hook up as I have read we need to take a electrical tester as the polarities can be different?
Any advice is apreciated.
Thankyou
Peter

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi. I'm going back home to France next week and this time am going by DFDS, Dover/Calais, for £39...

Personally I'd choose to travel on the Routes Nationales as opposed to motorways - personal choice really.

Have a great trip.

:thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you mean S of France as in Nice, Marseilles, etc it's quickest to go down the Autoroute du Sud past Troyes, Dijon, Montelimar etc, but there'll be tolls to pay.

If you want picturesque alternative and a bit of hilly driving try the Route Napoleon.

If you mean S of France in the sense of Biarritz you're probably looking at Le Mans, Tours, Poitiers, Bordeaux, if you want to avoid negotiating the west side of Paris. I very much prefer the Atlantic Coast and there's loads of lovely spots from Pays de Loire downwards. You might find the sea a bit chilly above Bordeaux in October but I wouldn't rule out a comfortable dip in the Biarritz area. Why not get your son a 2mm short-sleeved neoprene vest? Keeps you warm but unrestricted.

The limestone gorges of the Dordogne area are very impressive if you cut down from the West coast to the South through there. Likewise the Pyrenees foothills.

We were on the Med coast last month - we largely ignored the bit between Perpignan and The Camargue because most of the coastal towns are purpose-built post-war resorts and we like a bit of history.

If you're going to Italy, the Eastern side of Lake Garda is well worth a look, especially the theme parks, and towns like Lazise, Portofino, and Riva del Garda before winding your way back up to Geneva. For Switzerland you can pay your road and tunnel tolls in advance by getting a carnet sticker for your windscreen. It's cheaper to use your carnet for Swiss road tunnels like the Gotthard than it is to go through the Mont Blanc tunnel which costs a bloody fortune.

Bon Voyage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have missed out on cheap tunnel tickets through Tesco as we have to book over 14 days in advance so not even sure of how we will cross over to France

Failing a train a ferry is a good plan

We do not know the best way to go down to the South of France?

I doubt there is a "best way" but if you let Google guide you you will not go far wrong.

We love hills and mountains but as we live in Norfolk we do not like flat scenery as much.

Since you have already mentioned Italy, forget France and go Switzerland, Italy. Or go to Chamonix ( excellent site in town centre opposite hospital ) and through the tunnel to Lake Garda. Mind you, it's won't be very warm unless you got as far as Spain.

You should buy a continental adaptor from Halfords.

Peter

See RED.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
French trip 1st October advice needed

Dont forget to drive on the "Right"............. :ROFLMAO: :sorry2:

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
hi, the med should be warm enough for swimming.
i will certainly be in it during oct.
bern

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We have decided to avoid the Atlantic coast on this trip and will probably head straight down to the Millau bridge and along the south of france.

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ah Jazus Brian now you have really stumped me mate :whatthe:---surely they don't have 2 pin outlets on EHU post's at contenetal sites ----- or do they ???
I haven't been on one yet but plan to do so very soon.

By the way matey many thanks for the quick reply :thumb:

Cheers
belboy

Yes they do except they are 3 pin. The froggy earth pin sticks out of the socket.

Only some sites have these, most take the round industrial connector we use in the UK. You do need to buy one though.

The Swiss use some from another planet so will usually offer you an adaptor.

belboy

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
N/Ireland
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Yes they do except they are 3 pin. The froggy earth pin sticks out of the socket.

Only some sites have these, most take the round industrial connector we use in the UK. You do need to buy one though.

The Swiss use some from another planet so will usually offer you an adaptor.

Many thanks for that info Brian--order will be placed shortly

Hope you don't mind me asking mate--but would you advise if I should take one of these refill cyl sets with me on French/Spain trips

http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/24146.html

Hope that link works ::bigsmile:

Cheers
belboy

Last edited:
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We have just arrived in Cluny, stayed at Reims last night . We do need a continental adapter here so cover yourselves. On to Avignon tomorrow. Wife wants to drive all the way........

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On to Avignon tomorrow. Wife wants to drive all the way........

Tell her to watch out for the low bridge arches near the river - keep in the middle lane.

Camping Bagatelle just off the Pont Edouard Daladier is a cheap, cheerful and convenient spot, and the evening view of the town and bridge from the riverside there is not to be missed. The nearby Aire under the bridge arches looked crap to us so we didn't bother.

If you like your history you'll like Avignon - we did. Here's some recent snaps what I took.

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thankyou for everyones advice.
We are booked on the tunnel for 1pm tomorrow afternoon and plan to head down to Bordeaux or Toulouse without going on any toll roads.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Good call to avoid the tolls and take a scenic route.I wouldn't hurry down if the weather holds OK as it is most likely to be better on the way down than on the way back.There are some lovely stops on the way down such as Montreiul Bellay or Loches both recommended.Have a great trip.:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thankyou for everyones advice.
We are booked on the tunnel for 1pm tomorrow afternoon and plan to head down to Bordeaux or Toulouse without going on any toll roads.

If you want to stop in Toulouse for the night (free) let me know !!!
I'll give you my mobile phone in a PM
Safe travel ... and be careful ... it's full of frogs over here!:Eeek:

Amicalement

Frankie:Cool:

Last edited:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
"Thankyou for everyones advice.
We are booked on the tunnel for 1pm tomorrow afternoon and plan to head down to Bordeaux or Toulouse without going on any toll roads."
Good luck on your trip,Bonne eurotunnel.
We,ve just returned from tarragona,used the route from a previous link you have,the minimal tolls option.we went dfds to dunkerque,A16/A28 used tolls to get around the built up areas,you,ll be class2 going through the peages I expect if you choose to do so,the Millau bridge is the only toll on the A75.One other thing I,d recommend is the large AA big easy read France ,wh smiths?shows the non toll autoroutes very conveniently.
All the best Pete::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back