French Tolls

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Mizar, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Mizar

Mizar Read Only Funster

Can anyone give me a little advice going to france in a couple of weeks and thinking of using the toll roads to head south for the first couple of days.The motorhome is 3.3m high and 7m long am i correct in thinking the charges are calculated by height and if i go through an automated booth i will pay HGV class, do i need to stick to manned booths to get a lower rate or will i have to pay an higher class which ever booth we use.Also can you still pay by card at manned booths as i dont want to carry too much cash at any one time.Sorry for all the questions but never used tolls before usually stick to the smaller roads but thought we may try them for he speed of heading south.Thankyou

2. jaygee

jaygee Funster

we've just been to France and was not chrged extra (same size as you)am pretty sure we went through the automatic tolls and paid by card as well as normal tolls.

3. JJ

JJ Funster

I am not sure about height and length but I do believe they charge more if you have double rear wheels (including tag axles..)

They do in Portugal (except last night when the lad was being so nice about my very old Hymer he forgot to look!!!!)

JJ

4. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

5. patr

patr Read Only Funster

Hi

If you are over 3 metres high you are Class 3

Use a manned toll booth if you can as the auto ones measure the height and you can be charged Class 4 which is HGV and tag axle MH rates. If you do get caught in a higher class, press the contact button and ask for help.

It is worth printing the classification page off the website:

http://www.autoroutes.fr/preparez-votre-voyage/classification-des-vehicules.html

and keeping it in your van to convince the (sometimes) less than helpful toll booth assistants who insist that you are in a higher class.

If you do get out of your vehicle to discuss the problem, switch off your engine and put on you hi-vis jacket as them sneaky Gendarmes have been known to invite errant MH'ers to contribute a wad of Euro's to the French Exchequer. Never happened to me but a friend was caught unawares at Le Mans last year.

6. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

What JJ is saying, I would agree with, tag axles/twin axles (“what am I saying”!! agreeing with my "OLD" mate JJ )...it seems in France everything seems relaxed as far as the rules and depends on the individual toll booth collector what he enters? and of course there are different companies running different motorways stretches.... so I would think there is set rule but no hard and fast rule......take what Maggie has posted is bench mark, and if you take the maximum and anything less is a bonus.
    Three weeks ago we handed our toll ticket into the booth collector and was told we could go through free as they had a dispute with the management.....?????...never look a gift horse in the mouth, said thank you and passed through.:thumb:

Mel

7. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Awwwwwe don't he look sweet in his picture "JJ" :RollEyes:....bless him sweet and innocent butter would not melt :Blush:…… shame they grow up and change......sad :Doh:....:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Mel :thumb:

8. danny.tallieu

danny.tallieu Read Only Funster

Toll roads

Hey,
    I never take toll roads. More things to see, no stress.
    GRTZ,
    Danny

9. staging lady

staging lady Funster

10. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

We've just got back from France & Italy and used toll roads for the main travelling between centres.

In France most of the toll booths which issue the cards were automatic (not manned) and these measured the vehicle height using sensors (the taller vehicles broke a sensor beam at high level and a ticket was issued). We noticed on several booths that we were issued with low level tickets and on some booths a high level ticket. The effects of this were not noticed until you get to the paying booth at the end of the journey and you were charged different amounts.

In Italy it is slightly different, on some motorways (Autostrada) you reach a booth pay a small amount 2-3 Euros and then move on untill the next booth. On other motorways it's the same as France, Collect a ticket at one booth and pay at another, but the charges were a lot lower than France.

11. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

Just got back from France and having been told how much people had paid for travelling on the toll roads we avoided them as it only added about 20 minutes to our journey anyway and we weren't in a rush. Had we used the toll roads we would of missed travelling through the lovely villages that we saw, but I understand the use of tolls if your in a hurry.

Dale

12. williat1

williat1 Read Only Funster

My experience of tolls in France

Hi

I have a twin rear wheeled motorhome 3.85 tonnes and 3.1metres high and used several toll roads in France during the month of June. I paid the same as my travelling companions who were pulling a small caravan.

The choice of toll booth was more often than not restricted to the same as lorries and commercial vehicles as the car toll access booths had low barriers which were less than 3 metres high and too low for me to access.

Last year I towed a car behind the motorhome and paid normal car tolls.

I prefer using toll roads when aiming for a destination of more than 50 miles...much easier, quicker and less hassle leaving more time for leisurely motoring when there's something to see.

regards

Williat1

13. carpyone

carpyone Read Only Funster

I have an Auto-trail Scout at 3.05m high. Last year I was always charged class 2 at manned and unmanned/automated toll boths.
    This year I had fitted a satellite dome which took my height to 3.40m. At manned booths I was charged as class 2, but at unmanned booths, that is auto booths I was charged as class 3.:cry::cry::cry::cry:
    Last year I was charged 25euros for a section but this year I was charged 72euros fot the same unmanned booth section!!!!
    on my return I used the N roads.

14. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

The hard part is

My 23'9" Winnebago which is just under 13' tall on the saterlite dome with double back wheels (not tag axle) was over and over classed as an HGV.

Many of the booths give out automated tickets and the worse part is reaching the dispensing area for the HGV's.. the Winnebago is on a Ford E350 and you have to climb up on your seat to reach where the ticket comes out and of course the car one is to low and you do not find the ticket comes out of that one.

I try for a manned booth and smile and tell him it is a camping car. sometimes it works, but mostly I get stung for the HGV.. they do not seem to charge me for the small trailer tucked in behind with the wheelchair....electric buggy on it (perhaps they cannot see it?)

Did end up in an unmanned exit and had to use the call button. perfect English.. I had failed to enter the cash payment area 100 yards before on the right. He told me to back out and up the road way... impossible with this tiny trailer. In the end he told me to walk back.. which the boss did and pay then he pressed a button from somewhere and my ticket came back..Anyway after 10 minutes causing a jam we got the prepaid ticket sorted and on our way. But the getting the ticket is the problem for me. Not all tall campers are A class in height. So be warned. Used credit cards or debt cards most of the time. very worrying you do not have to put a pin number in. But the charges are made to the card and are there on the next bill.

Bob

15. williat1

williat1 Read Only Funster

Vehicle classes for French toll charges

Hi,

What are the vehicle specifications for classes 3, 2, and HGV for tolls in France?

regards

Williat1

16. madbluemad

madbluemad

I wouldn't mind how much they charged if they were to make them a tad wider so that you can squeeze through without bouncing off the sides.

Jim
    :Wink:

17. paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome Read Only Funster

tolls

just been all the way to lido di jesolo and back in two weeks and only paid swiss vignette toll now thats what i call great
    saw lots more and had a better holiday with all the spectacular scenery that was not on the toll roads
    awesome