French tolls!! How much? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you go through an automatic cash/card barrier, are charged class 2 and you don't press the button and ask to be charged class 3 is that not also fraud?

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
If you go through an automatic cash/card barrier, are charged class 2 and you don't press the button and ask to be charged class 3 is that not also fraud?
Suggest you look up the definition of fraud

Andrew

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Suggest you look up the definition of fraud

Andrew

The toll barriers use the same detection system to determine the class of vehicle however you choose to pay. A tag being present in the vehicle has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on how the system determines which class to charge you.

Are you seriously suggesting that if you use one payment method it's perfectly OK to accept a lower rate than you are liable for but to do this if you use an alternative payment method is fraud?

Wow.

I don't know whether that's a double standard, outright hypocrisy or just a genuine lack of understanding about how the system works.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
From your post I assumed you were referring to the non tag system.

You are therefore merely presenting your vehicle, and asking the operator (company) to present you with a charge to use the road system, your obligation is only to pay them this sum. You have no knowledge how they have made this calculation. It could be a special offer, they may have revised their charging structure.

You have not set out to deliberately defraud them, which would be the case if knowing you are class 3 you press the button and say you are class 2.

It is exactly the same when you go into a shop , the shop offers to sell you an item for a given price. At the point of sale if the shop realises it has made a mistake it has no obligation for it to go through with the purchase.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's the funniest thing I've read in ages.

Attempting to justify defrauding an operator, whether pre meditated or not, by saying "it might be a special offer"

That's made my day :LOL::LOL::LOL:

You have no knowledge how they have made this calculation

You do actually, it comes up on the screen.

You have not set out to deliberately defraud them

You might not have set out to do so but you aren't averse to taking the opportunity if it presents itself.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Glad I've lightened your day Nick. :)

This was a tongue in cheek comment, all I have been trying to say is that the word fraud is used incorrectly in reference to a transaction where there is no intention by the user to deceive to gain financial advantage, as there would be in the other example quoted.

However people decide to deal with it is up to them.

Andrew

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Points probably made already but my own thinking on tolls is this:

1. What price a well-built virtually empty road where you can drive a constant 60-70mph to your destination without much overtaking and braking? Compare that to the fraught stop/start slalom of any British motorway. We'll routinely cover up to 400 miles in a day in France, but are ragged after 250 miles in the UK.
2. Don't forget to offset the toll cost against cheaper diesel, the low cost of aires (if used), and road miles being cheaper than ferry miles.
3. French villages and tree lined lanes are doubtless quaint if that's your thing, but after the first dozen or so empty villages traversed at 20mph with endless roundabouts the novelty begins to wear a bit thin for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to drive the MH around the 'real' French countryside, but after I've reached the region I want to see, not all the way down there.

We're 3.5 tonnes max laden weight and 3.05m tall - we're Classe 2 virtually everywhere.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
When I travelled to Lake Garda a couple of years ago I went on the toll roads and autostrada as much of the time as I could, I have no idea of the cost I just paid up as I was limited to 14-16 days if I recall.

I felt as if I had seen none of the countryside and did the smaller roads on the way back, besides the benefit of saving on Tolls the laid back speed at which we travelled and the beauty we saw from the van was worth every minute spent doing so, I just wished I had spoken at length to you Martin @funflair at Chester.

I imagine at 3.15 M high and 5.3 tonnes I would always be class 3. This September I intend taking a week just to get down to the twin lakes meet by revisiting Honfleur and St Malo again plus the Brest Peninsular and hug the Atlantic coastline especially lle de Re. I imagine this plan alone prevents the use of these Toll roads........ C'est La Vie

Deleted User
I have a distinct feeling of deja vu regarding the last few posts, my views remain the same regarding a deliberate and pre planned fraud.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

1. What price a well-built virtually empty road where you can drive a constant 60-70mph to your destination without much overtaking and braking? Compare that to the fraught stop/start slalom of any British motorway. We'll routinely cover up to 400 miles in a day in France, but are ragged after 250 miles in the UK.
2. Don't forget to offset the toll cost against cheaper diesel, the low cost of aires (if used), and road miles being cheaper than ferry miles.
3. French villages and tree lined lanes are doubtless quaint if that's your thing, but after the first dozen or so empty villages traversed at 20mph with endless roundabouts the novelty begins to wear a bit thin for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to drive the MH around the 'real' French countryside, but after I've reached the region I want to see, not all the way down there.

We're 3.5 tonnes max laden weight and 3.05m tall - we're Classe 2 virtually everywhere.

I should be the ideal person for using toll roads as I'm only travelling from A to B. Problem is I gain nothing as the vehicle cannot go any faster,; the toll road service stations , as mentioned before, are sh***, diesel is only cheaper if you come from the UK whereas it is 25-30% dearer than buying it off a toll road in France;
I don't need the aggro of having to press the button at every booth as they are trying to charge me class 3 each time. See post #40 There would be no time saving if I have to waste 15 minutes at each booth to get the correct price charged.
As to a pleasant "well-built virtually empty road where you can drive a constant 60-70mph to your destination without much overtaking and braking" That depends when you are travelling as in the summer they are nightmares. When I used my car in 2013 at every toll booth the queues backed up 4 or 5 kms .:( Moving but at walking pace. one was 17kms :cry:. One on the opposite carriageway at 7am on a saturday morning stretched back 42kms !! & it had 24 operating booths. There is no point paying money to travel huge distances at a steady speed if it is all lost at the toll booths.

I have a distinct feeling of deja vu regarding the last few posts, my views remain the same regarding a deliberate and pre planned fraud.

Same as this
& if you are 2,7m high, 2,4T gvw , 2 axle & 5m in length & the auto-toll comes up with class 3, which it did to me last year when I inadvertently strayed on to a toll section, then it has been programmed that way & is fraudulent also ?

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Thanks for a bit of common sense into this thread @magicsurfbus . There are people out there with very up market motor homes that insist on suffering on the back roads to save 20 quid!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Has any one been Gassed while using these Toll Booths when towing on an A FRAME,,,,BUSBY,,,,:):)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for a bit of common sense into this thread @magicsurfbus . There are people out there with very up market motor homes that insist on suffering on the back roads to save 20 quid!
It's not just about "saving 20 quid" as for a start it could be £50 or even £100 in a day, the decision isn't as straightforward as "common sense" as every case is different in our case we don't travel at 60 to 70 mph so the time gained is negligible.

You takes your choice and pays your money, or not.

Martin

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The free French road system is superb. I can understand people on short fixed holidays using tolls to get to their destination quickly but some like ourselves are in no hurry and just meander down through France at our leisure enjoying the peace beauty and relaxation that travelling on French roads provide. Very seldom use motorways in The UK and they are free. Horses for courses,,,we all do our own thing...BUSBY:):):)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's fair to say we might do more off autoroute meandering when we've stopped working and can spend more time abroad, but for now we like to get to the planned destination with the minimum of fuss and then roam around. Truth be told I prefer crossing the Alps into Italy without using long, dull and expensive toll tunnels so we go over the Col de Montgenevre, which makes for an interesting drive. Each to their own of course, but for sheer convenience on a time limit you can't beat the Autoroutes.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We tend to use the non toll roads as we're not in a hurry, oh and I'm tight, but it always surprises me the amount of "deserted" villages we pass through, it's like a "Marie Celeste" virus has infected them, anyone know what that's all about ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back