French Toll Booths A16 (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Help please !! We are going down the A16 to Abbeville next week and I cannot find a thread on here about how to pay the toll fee. Are the toll booths automated? and do they accept cash, or credit card only. I would really appreciate any advice.
cheers

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Most of the tolls are credit card but watch in case there is the odd one there to take your cash.Go onto the Sanef web site to get all the info you require.
have a good trip/holiday

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
You have to look at the signs above the toll gates as you approach them. Some show a credit card symbol, some have a cash / coins symbol above them. Pick the right lane for your payment method. We prefer to use cash, and if possible get a "manned" gate, tho there are often no manned gates at some tolls.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I haven't used the A16, however driven many autoroutes in France, and never had any problems. Most toll booths are now the type where you take a ticket when you enter the motorway, when you exit you put the ticket in the machine and it tells you how much to pay. I always use a debit card, it's easier I think.
Just remember to get in the correct lane for vehicle size and payment type, clearly marked in advance, there will be large vehicle lanes, and also some are marked cash only, also there will usually be a lane for the vehicles fitted with a transponder, you can't use those lanes. I usually slot in behind the HGV's, I figure if they fit, then so can I! :D

[Edit]
Oooh, the Geordies beat me to it! :D

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If your going from Calais avoid the chargeable stretch and use the D901 and D1001 between Boulogne and Abbeville.
Perfectly good road,seldom we use toll autoroutes at all.!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Whenever possible we use a manned booth but still use the credit card. Its a quick swipe and your done, you get a receipt and in 12 years never had any issues...
It's always a bit scary the first few times but you soon get used to it, even the automated ones.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You will have no problem at all.

The A16 isn't tolled until you get to Boulogne. Then you pick up a ticket and keep driving. Once you turn off the A16 you will then have to put your ticket in the machine or give it to the attendant and you will be told what to pay. Before you get there look out for the signs telling you what signs to look for for different payment methods, and then just look at the overhead signs above the various toll lanes. Nearly all the automated booths accept credit or debit cards as well as cash (exact change though), as do all of the manned booths, who will give you change. We tend to pay by credit or debit card which is by far the easiest way.

One thing to remember is that the machine is normally on our passenger's side so they need to be ready to pay, although I think the A16 may have at least one booth with it on the UK side. And it can be a bit of a stretch for the passenger if you use the machines. They usually have double height ones, with one slot at car height and one at HGV height. The trouble is the motorhome is in between.

We went down there in March and came back last week. From memory the cost for a motorhome was just over 12 Euros from Boulogne to the A28 turn off, which is where Abbeyville is.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The coin operated machines are easy to use and take notes as well as coins, and they do give you change.

My wife usually gets out of the door to do them though, just remember to wait until she has her seat belt on before you move off. People have been find for driving off before their passenger belts up, it can also happen when talking the ticket, as well, as some slots are difficult to reach with the seat belt on.

Don't worry if someone toots you from behind, they can't get past. :LOL: Take your time and enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
coffeeroffey
Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Thank you everyone for the very useful information, very much appreciated.
Bob

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Never mind tolls in France !! Web arrived at Severn Bridge crossing by car a couple of months ago to find that the coin bins had been replaced with card slots-mad panic to find card as I was in a line of traffic and it was too late to change lanes.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
If your going from Calais avoid the chargeable stretch and use the D901 and D1001 between Boulogne and Abbeville.
Perfectly good road,seldom we use toll autoroutes at all.!

We did the same on our way back up last week. We went from south of Tours, via Rouen, Abbeville all the way up to Calais, non toll - very good roads, much of it dual carriageway. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back