French speed cameras.

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Volusia, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Volusia

Volusia

Word of caution, they are trying to fill the French coffers with speeding fines.
    Apart from new unannounced cameras the latest trick is to stick a road works warning up on a 130 or 110 kph road, then swiftly count down to 80 before you really have a chance to do so, especially when you can clearly see there are no roadworks and its Sunday. I plod along around 90 kph but got the flash. Just take care folks, you don't have to be a habitual speeder to get caught out over here.

• Like Like x 2
  2. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

If the sign is clear and visible from a reasonable distance then that's fair warning.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I found out last year not to rely on your satnav telling you the speed limit of where you are. It is often right but limits change and the maps, even if you have the most up to date versions loaded as I did, can be wrong. I found rural roads the most likely to have this problem. No substitute for the Mk 1 eyeball looking out for the signs. I was flashed but so far nothing seems to have happened. If I am sent to the Bastille when we next go to France I will have the answer.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Volusia

Volusia

Reason

Now why on earth do you think I gave the warning!
    Having travelled the previous two months in Spain, never speeding once, on the return journey slowing from 90 to 80 on a 130 kph road in France. I can assure you at the time of passing the camera, I was on 83. Not had a ticket yet, but there's time, no leeway here! Remember a 130kph toll road!
    Can't stand these holyier than thou comments! Unquote

• Like Like x 11
  5. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

Don't think you'll get a ticket, got flashed last year nothing happened, think l read on here the French and British don't enforce speeding fines for each other.

6. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

I have often found going into villages in France, usually around a corner, the speed limit sign followed by a camera. I guess the want us to try our brakes out trying to get any speed off. Sounds dangerous to me and I often wonder why they do not give a warning more often than they do.

7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Is a French speeding fine enforceable in the UK??? It certainly isnt with German fines.

8. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

good question
    do you get french fines on uk plates

neill

9. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Yes! it takes a little while to come through the postal system, about a month I think from reading other members experiences and you can pay online.
    Of course if you drive within the law this will not happen in the first place. No excuse for speeding in the first place and whilst I'm on the subject warning other drivers of speed traps is also an offense, so be careful out there.

10. Phill D

Phill D

not sure the lecture is warranted:Sad:

• Like Like x 6
  11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The UK, Republic of Ireland and Denmark have opted out of the EU directive on cross border speeding fines..

more here .. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23619783

12. Volusia

Volusia

Enforcement

Don't think they try too hard, but they will on spot you. I live here so they will no doubt send me the fine. They also hang around at the most unlikely crossroads to make sure you stop! Other than that, driving over here is really relaxing, probably too relaxing hence the crossroad traps

• Like Like x 2
  13. Volusia

Volusia

Well you will be first through the pearly gates Mr Perfect, I could imagine you as a bird watcher, oh the excitement of it all!:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  14. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

If they tried that in Italy the flash bulb would overheat and burst within 5 minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Yorick

Yorick Funster

If you go through French speed traps at 50k above speed limit, then the camera fails to go off :Smile:

Works for me every time :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Just a note on France speed cameras.

We have often found that even though we are within the speed limit we sometimes get a flash in the 90 or 110 speed limits.

I think it is because of the size of our van it looks as though we are over 3.5t.

As yet we have not received a fine, so I presume when the photos are checked they realise we are a motor home and as such family car speed limits apply.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

All French Villages will have a 50 sign, 50mtrs before the white-red trim rectangular sign with the name of the Village, which is the start of the 50 speed limit, so if you miss the first 50 warning, but see the village sign:Eeek:hit the brakes!! If you miss all that, and see a 50 rappel sign:Doh:"shutting the stable door springs to mind":Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

I've noticed a change in the last 6 months with French tickets. They never used to reach my Suisse doorstep but now they do, 2 since November.

I'd guess they are now keener on foreign plates, no proof just an assumption based on recent experience.

I'm still surprised that the UK doesn't follow this, although suspect it will soon.

19. Volusia

Volusia

Hollande

Hollande has to get some cash back somehow and it's always the motorist. Noticed more cameras getting painted over though.
    Now here is a good reason to strike for our fellow French countrymen if ever there was one!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

By coincidence I noticed a camera that had been painted last week when I was in Holland, my colleague said it happens more and more now.

• Like Like x 1