French racism at municipal Aires?? (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just been reading about some French municipal Aires on the way up the med coast, in campercontact. Apparently entry to some is gained only by credit card.....a French credit card only!!! So is this an example of racist behaviour or French cock up, either way they have effectively banned foreign motorhomes!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've come across aires which needed a French card to switch on the water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Yes please, send me those places , and I'll have a chat with them!
I would like to know if it's a Maire's decision.... Some Maire's decisions have been strongly rejected and pointed out by French motorhomers and I have read very recently some of these decisions had been cancelled!
Any kind of racism can cancel this sort of décisions

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

This is disgusting ! When you come across such behaviour , please let me know. I know where to give this sort of info

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
It could also come from the bank which has installed the cash machine. May be the Mairie never thought of why it was cheaper than with another bank, so not really aware of what it implied.
Best is to check the Aires'website. If there are more than one language (French obviously) ... than this is some sort of bug. Interesting to check indeed!

Frankie

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

We found that the credit card vending machines for ski passes at a resort in the Alps this winter only operated with a card issued by a French bank

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
We found that the credit card vending machines for ski passes at a resort in the Alps this winter only operated with a card issued by a French bank

You see , this is exactly the kind of info which would tend to make me think it's a bank thing! Probably costing them more if it's a foreign card! Indeed to be checked as well. I really doubt a resort would try to only have french... this sounds stupid.
But, if it's a bank thing, then nothing to do with racism, just bloomin interest!

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
The aire at the ferry port in Ouistreham only accepted French cards. If you rang the number on the machine you could get a ticket from a couple of locations.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You see , this is exactly the kind of info which would tend to make me think it's a bank thing! Probably costing them more if it's a foreign card! Indeed to be checked as well. I really doubt a resort would try to only have french... this sounds stupid.
But, if it's a bank thing, then nothing to do with racism, just bloomin interest!
I am sure it is just a bank thing. Nothing to do with racism. :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We had our card declined last year at an Aire (for water) Camprcobtact ref 1750.
We went to the tourist office and paid the fee in cash, took the recept to the mayors office, who promptly sent a guy to turn on the water for us.
The mayors office explained that there had been an issue with their card processors accepting foreign cards and that they were aware of the problem.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
No problem for us, we'll park our foreign van there because we have French bank accounts!:france:
I remember years ago, lots of places would only take French cards but they soon realised they were missing out on extra business.
In my experiences, the French are generally very good at accepting payments from everyone, they wouldn't use the race excuse, they tend to proud of their towns and villages and welcome everybody.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Was this an instance ? Went into Leclerc at Boulogne for diesel ,being under 3mts. went in with the cars... Card not working,went out,came back in again in the lorry lanes,as i had while working,put card in,notice comes up on screen "English ?" pressed yes,all service was explained in English,filled up,got a receipt and away we came.
This could be one way around it,late at night at a French Supermarket chain,just an idea.
Tea Bag

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
There was once a time was there not when no English card worked in France (or at least the ones I once had) but never ever a problem .have always found, on the occasions needed, a French person who will use their own card in exchange for payment to themselves and will unwillingly take any higher amount other than needed.

That’s at fuel pumps and on municipal sites (Saint-Denis-d-Oleron) a year or two back was one I remember in more recent times.

I don’t believe it to be intentional or racist (imo)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
The aire at the ferry port in Ouistreham only accepted French cards. If you rang the number on the machine you could get a ticket from a couple of locations.

We used a British credit card there, last week, with no problem. Maybe they've updated it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never had a problem in France. We have in Germany though.

I don't think it's racist though. Just crap banking systems.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We were told a couple of years ago that no British cards would work at Aires anywhere in Brittany, and that certainly seemed to be the case. When I once asked a French chap for help with paying for me (I had the cash in my hand) he told me to push off and walk to the tourist office to pay. Nice chap. I hope he got eaten by vampire snails whilst he slept.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Isn't this more about discrimination rather then racism, although I think it's neither ...... Just a glitch in the machine or a bank problem...

Why oh why do people chuck the racist card out of the Pram when it doesn't go their way ....:doh:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Years ago it was hard to use a UK card in France however today ours work in most places. Having said that none of our cards would work in an unmanned fuel station only last year so there are still a few.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sadly we have had several bad experiences in France... With site managers taking the pee ( behind our backs but in VERY unsubtle ways), and being somewhat ripped off on charges made for various things..
While I am sure 99% of French folk are like our very own @yodeli , there is ( like in every country ) a small % to whom we are just 'the idiot rôti de bœuf'
Unfortunately it seem it is those we usually end up meeting !
On the way back home last January, with the gearbox in tatters we decided to use a toll road to try and remain in top gear as much as possible.
Pulled up to a toll booth and there was two prices.. One for French and one for 'non-nationale'
No idea if the practice is wide spread or even if it continues, but another example of our luck when in France and why we try and avoid it most of he time !!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sadly we have had several bad experiences in France... With site managers taking the pee ( behind our backs but in VERY unsubtle ways), and being somewhat ripped off on charges made for various things..
While I am sure 99% of French folk are like our very own @yodeli , there is ( like in every country ) a small % to whom we are just 'the idiot rôti de bœuf'
On the way back home last January, with the gearbox in tatters we decided to use a toll road to try and remain in top gear as much as possible.
Pulled up to a toll booth and there was two prices.. One for French and one for 'non-nationale'
No idea if the practice is wide spread or even if it continues, but another example of our luck when in France and why we try and avoid it most of he time !!

Shame you had bad experiences, we don't usually stay on sites but when we have done have never experience managers taking the P as you put it. As for the "Non Nationale on toll roads, I don't doubt what you say but we have never seen or heard of it before.

You have been unfortunate but France is a huge country and We have always found the French to be friendly and helpful, if approached in the right way with a smattering of French and smile. Please consider trying France again before you write it off because if you don't you are going to be missing a great deal.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We spent 4 weeks touring and one of my step brothers lives in the south.. Visited him and his land went further than tghe eye could see ( literally )

Never got on well with him either..

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
We were told a couple of years ago that no British cards would work at Aires anywhere in Brittany, and that certainly seemed to be the case. When I once asked a French chap for help with paying for me (I had the cash in my hand) he told me to push off and walk to the tourist office to pay. Nice chap. I hope he got eaten by vampire snails whilst he slept.

Oh Dear ... The end is funny but of course this wasn't kind at all. I feel ashamed sometimes to see some french behaviour, even if I know I'm not responsible of their acting.

I've had a drive in Max on Easter Monday, and I had a problem at the toll. From Toulouse to Béziers they were asking me 33 euros something. More than the diesel I had put in the tank. My friend Lyli saw me going in a grump all of a sudden. I pressed the calling button(as of course I speak french...which I know, does help!), and asked for a change of rate, as my Max was far too small to pay that amount.... MMMM ...how hight asked the lady (lied there....lol, 0,5 cms more in fact) and I said angrily 2,95m . Ok ....ding, 11 euros less ... Cheeky!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013

I can't believe that you think that this is just something that happens in France! Virtually anywhere there are discounts for existing customers, locals etc. as distinct from visitors who are here today and gone tomorrow.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I can't believe that you think that this is just something that happens in France! Virtually anywhere there are discounts for existing customers, locals etc. as distinct from visitors who are here today and gone tomorrow.

I am sorry.. Since when do visitors to the UK get charged more on toll roads than brits..
Or visitors to Poland, or in Croatia, Italy and Spain get charged more ??

To be honest I am unsure of what you speak as I certainly have no experience of it apart from in France..

Admittedly we have only done ( from memory ) 18 European countries so there certainly could be others that DO charge more but we have never visited them

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

I was just wondering what sort of toll you were talking about, its very rare these days to get a person at the booth, usually it automatic, we jus drive up put our card in the slot and hey presto out come the ticket receipt. The charge is based size of vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back