French Police

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Brianl_irl, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Brianl_irl

Brianl_irl Deleted User

Whilst driving through France last year (in a car) I came across a police check point that was only pulling over campers and motorhomes.

Does anyone know why?

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I have seen the French police at the Spanish border one time pulling in lots of caravans, they were weighing them. Doing a thorough job too, it looked like they were weighing the nose weights as they were un hitching them.

3. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Visions of the missus and kids hanging off the back of the caravan.:Wink:

What are those Tuggers like?:Doh:

4. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Hoy i used to be one:Laughing:

Many happy years as one as well but vans dent to easily and with 2 Great Danes and balsa wood furniture life expectancy of a van was very limited (plus of course a 19 stoner siting gently down after one beer to many:RollEyes:)

5. American Dream

Yeah But you had the sense to convert to an RV John.

Bet they'd have had a job testing the nose weight on Your van when you had it?

What with those dogs.:Laughing:

Only ONE beer too many John.:Wink:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Road Runner

[​IMG]

My last rig.

28 stone of dogs:Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

7. American Dream

I take it they are at the back of the van in the photo.:Doh:

8. 2escapees

2escapees Deleted User

I assume by French Police you mean the Gendarmes. What they call random checks are regular here; at least twice a year we will be stopped for paperwork check and breathalyser you must carry your insurance, log book (carte gris) and driving license (there is not an option to produce them later). Breath tests are common and by random they mean everyone on the same road. If they were stopping campers it is for the above plus weight check, they have a computerised system and weigh all four wheels, two at a time. Overweight means a fine and points! If you can't pay they will follow you or take you to a cash point. Plus you have to reduce the weight immediately.

If you have a radar warning device that will be confiscated and you will be fined. They are very tough now on speeding (in order to reduce road deaths) they have binoculars fitted with radar that checks you speed a long way from where they are hiding. So especially keep to 50kmp (30mph) within villages and towns.

Apart from that they are really nice folk!

:thumb:

9. Road Runner

:Laughing::Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

10. Phil

Phil Read Only Funster

They often stop people coming out of Andorra to check for cigs and booze and they confiscate any excess over what they consider reasonable.

Phil.

11. Lampie

Lampie Read Only Funster

I have seen that in France a few times over the last few years, they seem to pick up who they feel like, right hand drivers I have seen many times. No seat belt on a toll a good one. Their way of tax ( fines )

I always like driving through the night , hardly see an official. Strange that

Lampie

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

customs were stopping folks on the spanish side but the french 'border' post was deserted last time we went through (spain to france) andorra.

john.

13. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

How do we avoid problems abroad?

14. 2escapees

2escapees Deleted User

Don't believe you wont see any during the night the breath test brigade work at all hours..especially when people leave the discos, and some take there camper vans there (nice soft bed)!

Plus you don't need an International driving license in France the photo card and the paperwork is all you need, Nothing else needed. But they can and do weigh people and yes it is with you, the dogs and everything else on board.

In Spain I understand you need two warning triangles, reflective vests for all passengers and two pair of glasses if you wear them.

Bon Voyage

:thumb:

15. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Weight problems

Right, so how can you be sure your rig is not over weight, and is it 3.5 tonnes which no matter how big your motorhome? Do we have to get the whole lot weighed before we go, or perhaps go on a crash diet??

We have the two triangles and vests, but have not heard about the 2 pair of glasses before! whatever next??

Ginny

16. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Photocard and Paperwork?

'Plus you don't need an International driving license in France the photo card and the paperwork is all you need, Nothing else needed. '

I am not sure what you mean by photo card and paperwork? where do we obtain these please?

Ginny

17. 2escapees

2escapees Deleted User

Sorry if I was not clear I mean you normal UK photo driving license but with the paperwork not just the plastic card!

I have never been asked if I carry two pairs of glasses but thats what I have read! They are talking about driving (distance) glasses not reading!

18. myshell

myshell Read Only Funster

Hi Mike
    Re; second pair of spectacles.
    I was stopped in Spain and asked to produce my spare pair of glasses, the police would only accept the second pair if they where of the same focal quality as the originals, ie. if you are wearing bi-focal glasses they would not accept reading or distance glasses as the backup pair, fortunately I had a spare pair of bi-focal.

Regards
    Phil

19. Phil

Phil Read Only Funster

I guess it's because if you only had one pair of driving glasses and lost or broke them how would you be able to drive safely?

Phil.

20. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

Another aspect to be aware of is that the drink/driving limit here in France is almost 50% of that in the UK (50 instead of 80). Random breath tests are normal, so NEVER drink and drive - penalties are severe and loss of licence immediate.:Angry:

Bob