French Municipals

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lugnutt, Jun 24, 2010.

1. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

Have just purchased All The Aires France 2nd edition ,although this book is very good is there a book to any ones knowledge listing municipals.We prefer municipals as we like to put the chairs out as it is an advantage when traveling with the grandkids.or this not allowed on municipals? or should we just stick to campsites?
    Dave

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've never found a municipal sites book Dave .. :Sad:

but almost every town has one, so not a great need or demand I guess

They are just like regular camp sites, usually with decent basic facilities but far cheaper .

You can do as you please with chairs tables etc ..

• Like Like x 1
  3. lugnutt

Hi Jim I have municipal l sites in my Garmin sat nav,which gives me a short list of sites from the location i am in at the time, but dont know how to get a full list of municipals up.
    Dave

4. scotjimland

This may help .... or maybe not ... :Laughing:

I made a Google map with all the French sites, aires, and municipals but it's a huge data base.. it's alphabetical , there are two pages of municipals

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&start=2000&num=200&msa=0&msid=115843103054280433491.00045ced3b7378a281f19&ll=45.151053,5.361328&spn=14.752215,42.84668&z=5&iwloc=00045ced3fd7690db5b7f

5. jaygee

jaygee Funster

6. olley

olley Funster

Hi Jim having a bit of time on my hands, :BigGrin: I thought I will download that map, stick it in Excel, and remove everything bar the municipals.

But you can't download past page 5, and it the same if you tell it to "View in google earth" it only displays up to page 5. There must be a limit built in to "Maps" of 1000 which it can send elsewhere.

Olley

7. scotjimland

Sorry mate .. I did my best .. :cry:

8. lugnutt

thanks.....yes i have been looking at this one,pity they do not do a English one

9. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

We bought a book while in France earlier this month from a Supermarket.

Guide Bel Air Evasions en Camping Car

Cost 9 euro and lists Campsites and Aires by region. We used it for Aires this year.
    \it has some sites in Spain/Germany as well.

10. Fireball

Fireball Read Only Funster

The Caravan Club book Caravan Europe 1 has most municipals listed in it under the nearest town. As this publication is made up from the book users site use, there may be some not listed but I have never found one not listed for the towns we have visited. It has quite valuable information from people that have actually used the sites. If you buy the book and find your favourite not listed you could always send in an update sheet as provided with the book and it will be added to the nexr update, currently version 2010. :Smile::Smile:

11. Belgian

Belgian Funster

Municipal camping are ordinary campings only run by local authorities. They come in all classes; but most of them are small, cosy and cheap. Some of them are now converted in 'aire' (MH-sites)
    Another good choice could be 'camping naturelles'
    Have a look at http://www.campingfrance.com/

12. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Your Best

Did your best!

Did your best!

probably one of the biggest understatements I have ever seen.

Its absolutely brilliant.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I selected a route from my house to one of the sites. I then picked one of the route changes close to the site to show the mini-map of that instruction.

Yes, I got the mini map showing me where the turn was, but I also got a picture image of the turn I was making. Now i know thats down to the much maligned by the privacy brigades Google Map Pictures, but for a stranger with a could be better map reader, its like gold dust.:BigGrin:

13. Venita

Venita Read Only Funster

Having just returned from France, I would just like to point out that, although I did note the rules for not putting chairs out in the aires, everyone, including French people, had chairs out and sometimes awnings. I understand the reasons for these rules but unfortunately if no-one abides by them ..... ALL of the aires we attended were full and busy and were using all of the local facilities which is what they are all about. It doesnt seem that they take much notice of a couple of chairs.

14. jaygee

jaygee Funster

I have to admit we also had chairs out adn a table when we wanted to eat outside :Blush:, although were never quite brave enough to put out the awning!
    One we stayed on people also had washing lines out attatched to the trees so I don't think a couple of chairs would cause a storm.

15. jennymaywright

jennymaywright Read Only Funster

French Municipal Sites

We use both the Caravan Club's Caravan Europe 1 guide and the Guide Officiel Camping Caravanning. Both are very good - the CC book includes reports from people have already visited the site but the French book has far more sites listed including Camping A La Ferme sites - bit like our CLs here - as well as Aires in towns.

Jenny