French Motorway Toll Hight Class

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Curtisden, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Curtisden

Curtisden Read Only Funster

Not asking what class applies to what, I understand that.
    But when I traveled with my last MH which because of its Sat dome was 3.3m high it always seemed to attract the higher Class 3 toll. I assume this was because the run in to the booth seemed to have hight sensors on?
    But I now have a lower 2.6m high conversion and it is clearly Class 2.
    So what is stopping me driving into a automatic cash lane or even a T lane with a pass and being classed as a Class 1? I assume there must be hight sensors again set a 2m?
    Yes i know about challenging the class 3 so please don't reply on that its been done to death.
    Its the way the tolls both maned and unmanned determine hight that interests me?
    Peter

2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Is there a question in there anywhere?

The only one I can find is "So what is stopping me driving into a automatic cash lane"?

If that is it then I don't know!........:RollEyes:

3. Curtisden

Motorway Tolls

Why are these forums populated with types that don' know the answer to a question but even so reply pointlessly to tell us so?
    :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  4. keith

keith Funster

If I remember rightly the auto tolls have barriers set at 2m so that might stop you getting through, never tried it myself. :Rofl1:

I always imagine they are there to stop exactly what you are suggesting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Curtisden

Motorway

No not preposing cheating.
    No the 2 m Left hand lane is too low and for cars anyway.
    Its what stops the unmanned toll lanes saying everything under 3m is class 1?
    Peter

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Presumably they use a variety of sensors.

from wiki

Inductive sensors embedded in the road surface can determine the gaps between vehicles, to provide basic information on the presence of a vehicle. Treadles permit counting the number of axles as a vehicle passes over them and, with offset-treadle installations, also detect dual-tire vehicles. Light-curtain laser profilers record the shape of the vehicle, which can help distinguish trucks and trailers.

more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_toll_collection

7. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

By referring to "these forums" I'm guessing you are including this one due to the reply you received here.

If you ask a sensible question someone will come along with a sensible answer (eventually).....:RollEyes:

But many "types" will come along with questions to your question (instead of answers), replies which make no sense, replies which are totally off topic, replies without answers, and they often will introduce FB pies and tales of gassing.

However, you will soon get used to this, as this is not just any old Forum....... this is FUN.!.......:thumb::thumb::BigGrin::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 10
  8. veevee

veevee Funster

9. Curtisden

I have been using forums of one form or another for many years.
    Caravan and motorhome forums seems to have more than its fair share of these types.
    Its not fun its a waste of space to say I don't know repeatedly.
    Silence is golden.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Its also full of people who want to tell everyone else what they can and cannot post

• Like Like x 7
  11. peyrilles

peyrilles Read Only Funster

Hi
    You are not allowed to go through the auto peage because of the hieght limit (2 meters) and
    thes are reserved for cars only.
    I would also doupt that useing the pre-payment scheme would be cost effective unless you plan to use the auto-route on a daily basis, the permit would be issued for your vehicle which is class 2 so you can't get round it that way.
    I live in France and own an A class MH at 2.75 meters is allways counted as class 2 at the peage you should expect to be charged as class. 2 also.
    Hope this answers your question

12. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

And another one makes the iggy list:Rofl1:

13. sedge

sedge Funster

I understand it's a laser, too. When it's unmanned, if you break the beam, then you are automatically Class 3. So then you have to do the press the button thing.

If it's manned, no idea if the beam is on or not, but in any event if you are only marginally over 3m and not a tag axle or anything else that falls into the higher class, they always charge Class 2 - but anyway - at 3.05m we always 'fail' the first and 'pass' the second.

As an absolute bonus we came off the A whatever nr Montlucon last July, and when we saw it was automatic my heart sank, we'd had to go into the office at the toll before Abbeville already that day as they tend NOT to answer the ruddy button - we've had to pay it twice now, ask the machine for a receipt, go in the office and wait and wait, eventually someone comes and annuls it and puts another debit through on your card.

Anyway the barrier at M charged us Class 1 ! I've never shoved a card into a machine that quick in me life and we almost left rubber on the tarmac to get through the barrier quick!!!

I expect they've mended it by now ..... :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We had a tag thing this Summer going through France. We are class 2 but the sat dome took us just over 3 metres.

Most of the time we were fine, but on a few occasions the automated tolls wouldn't let us past. We pressed the button for help and they just pressed another button to make us class 2 and the barrier opened.

A little bit of hassle but better than rummaging for change all the time.

15. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You'll find this happens a fair bit here, especially so in a thread like this one which goes unanswered for an hour. Unfortunately once a post slips off the front page unanswered it can easily disappear forever. Someone kindly taking the time to tell you they don't know the answer bumps the post back to the top of the front page, which means more people will see it and your more likely to get an answer. Which is exactly what happened.

If you are really worried about wasting our server space then why did you make yet another post to admonish that type of person .:Doh::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  16. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Why have you retired?

I hope you don't mind Curtisden, but I am going completely off topic.

For me, you have a brilliant career awaiting to pop in and out of during retirement, training sales people.

Here are my experiences as a user of technical systems, writing specs and reviewing sales submissions, working for a technical company and being out in the field with the engineers assisting in installs and training users.

My experience of sales people was if they were asked a question about product capability and did not know the answer, they were far from silence is golden. They first said yes it would do anything the customer wanted and spent th next 20 minutes trying to con you into believing what they had no idea about.

The result was we were left to explain to the purchaser and user staff not only could the product not make gold bars from waste wood ash as promised by the salesperon, but that it was never ever likely to.

Space? Say you wanted a one page summary and you would get a binder full of the company info, what it had achieved and how it was the best in the world, with a three page summary.

So, you may be able to see where i am coming from.

A sales person keen on brevity and factual answers is many customers dream, get training them please.

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt Funster Life Member

It's obvious

I see you have a six metre panel van. :Eeek:Now that is tall. It probably makes it class 4 at least, even without any laser sabre thingys.

JUST RELAX

• Like Like x 1
  18. Curtisden

Motorway Tolls & Hight?

Just signed up for a French motorway tag and apart from the DD details no reference was made to class or hight of the transport.
    It also said that the tag could be used on any car owned by the tag applicant.
    So that means there are hight sensors at 2 m and 3 on all lanes.
    So now just have to afford it. :Eeek:
    Peter

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

a decent explanation of Fast Trak toll boths and how the height and type of vehicle is detected, .. item (4) is the infra red light curtain height detector http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FasTrak

[​IMG]

20. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Buying a tag will not change what they charge you ! Depends on what you are driving ! They have ways of measuring you :Rofl1: seems expensive looking at the site. Paying initially for tag plus the annual fees etc . We have never bought a tag since living here as we would not make enough use of it. Also bought here it goes with the vehicle so need to buy several.

Can see the advantage of not having to pay at each peage especially in a right hand drive. But cannot see a financial advantage but I wait to be corrected :Smile: