French MH can i use a UK decoder? (1 Viewer)

Dordognefr

Free Member
May 7, 2017
france
Funster No
MH
burstner solano
Exp
converting caravaners
Hi all, sorry for this but I'm totally clueless.
I have just bought a Burstner Solano, it has a Alden automatic 65cm dish and has a Alden Satmatic-hd decoder which is programmed to watch Fransat.

Can I simply unplug the decoder and buy any UK freeview MH box? will the dish just automatically search the satellite programmed in the new decoder?

also is there I system I can add to allow me to pick up lots of satellites and foreign channels depending where we are?

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
A Freeview box is for use with terrestrial (ie tv aerial) transmissions.
A Freeview box cannot be used with a satellite dish systems
They are two completely different broadcast methods.

Most "off the shelf" "free to air" "FTA" receivers can allow you to receive any free to air channels from any satellite that your dish is aligned to...it may be that your current Alden Satmatic-hd will also...

OP
OP
Dordognefr

Dordognefr

Free Member
May 7, 2017
france
Funster No
MH
burstner solano
Exp
converting caravaners
yes it does, but I'm looking to be able to scan different satellites not just the French one, hoping someone here is familiar with the Satmatic or has a hardwear solution, thanks for your input though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
yes it does, but I'm looking to be able to scan different satellites not just the French one, hoping someone here is familiar with the Satmatic or has a hardwear solution, thanks for your input though.
You need the Alden Libertas box, that will give you the choice of different channels but be warned they are not cheap.
or https://www.transplanet.fr/boutique/info_produit.asp?num=19562

Good luck but just remember if you want UK tv then a 65cm dish will struggle with a signal past Limoges.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had an Alden sat system on our imported van with 65cm dish had so much trouble with we ditched it for an Oyster 85cm system which has performed really well even down on South coast of Spain

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have the Alden AS4 auto dish ,

It is the Alden the S.S.C. HD A module that determines which satellite you are tuned to, it is not the decoder that determines this..

It is factory set with the following
ASTRA 19° E

Various channels, various languages and CanalSat, TNTSAT

ASTRA 23° E

Belgian and dutch channels

HOTBIRD 13° E

Various channels, various languages

ATLANTIC 5° W

French channels (Fransat/Bis TV)

ASTRA 4.8A

Various channels, various languages

ASTRA 28° E /N

English channels (BBC, SkyNews...)

ASTRA 28° E /S

English channels (BBC, SkyNews...)

The decoder can then scan whatever satellite you have chosen and locked on to.. I use a Maxview HD decoder ..

I have used mine as far south as the French med coast with no problems finding UK channels to watch.. it is an excellent bit of kit..

you can download the user manual here https://www.vanbitz.com/wp-content/uploads/SSC-instructions.pdf

Hope that helps, if that is not answering your question then I may have misunderstood the problem..

edit .. there have been no firmware updates for the SSC Module.. I enquired about this recently

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
@scotjimland is spot on, just tune your dish to look for different satellites then we put our postcode in to get local news anywhere we are :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back