French Fisherman at it again. Calais,Bologne, Dunkirk blockaded

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by traveller, Apr 14, 2009.

1. traveller

traveller Read Only Funster

2. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Got to hand it to them.

Whenever the French have a gripe about anything they just blockade the ports......job done. No messin' about sitting around having "meetings" and "talks".

We'd ask permission! :Laughing:

3. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

Blockade still on!:Eeek::Eeek:
    We were at Calais this morning trying to get the 12.25 ferry. P&O gave us free transfers for the tunnel - we had to queue for a wee while at the tunnel check in but we were on the 1.50 train! 35 minutes ride and we were back in Blighty!:thumb:
    Ray and Joan still stuck in the port :Sad:( as of 17.26 UK time) as they've got a fixed lpg tank so can't use the train. We have Gaslow and that's acceptable.
    Hopefully, because they're in the loading area waiting for the next boat, they won't have any problems with the dog passport ( he was at the vet at 10am yesterday!). Fingers crossed for them!

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Marie

As far as I know, a fixed tank is acceptable if the gas outlet is turned off.. Lots of RVs use the tunnel. It's only LPG converted engines that are barred..

Great to be back! ..:Wink:

Jim

5. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

We saw an RV using the tunnel today but assumed he hadn't got lpg!

It's something worth looking in to isn't it? Ray and Joan would be home now!

Don't know about " great to be back" I'll let you know on that one!!

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I suppose it depends whether one considers it justifiable for a few people to cause so many problems for others, such as holiday makers and HGV drivers. Just saw on the ITV news that a coach load of kids from a Welsh swimming club are stranded overnight with no idea of where they might sleep.

Well done for getting back so quick Marie. What did the trick? Did you march up to them and shout (in best Glossop accent) "nous n'aurons aucun ennui ici"? :Laughing:

Graham

7. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I used the tunnel when i was just petrol but now my bus is converted to LPG and REGISTERED at the DVLA as it doubt I would get through.

They accept the domestic tank.

Tesco point were so useful at one time

8. weymard

weymard Read Only Funster

:Smile: Conflict finish !

9. Bulletguy

They've certainly got their point across....plus a few million quid compo off their Government.
    Alternatively i suppose they could have sat around a table having 'meetings' about when to arrange the next meeting and got absolutely nowhere.

10. mikel

mikel Read Only Funster

Harbour blockade, Dunkirk, Calais, Boulogne, 1940.

And this blockade seems to do more damage to the UK economy than any other.

Common factor seems to be that others have to pay for France and its problems.

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

They've got their point across by taking action which was illegal, according to the French courts, and the French government has rolled over. In doing so they cost individuals and companies, who have nothing to do with the dispute, millions of pounds.

Is governments giving in to illegal acts - and the inevitable consequent encouragement of those acts - what we want to see? If it is where is the line to be drawn?

IMHO if an act is unlawful you can take legal steps to try to achieve a change legitimising that act but what you don't do is break the law just because it suits you.

Graham

12. weymard

weymard Read Only Funster

We do not need that you pay for us, your economy is more weak that ours. Understand that OURS problems are (or will be) also YOURS problems in short term (it is called "global economy") ! Your fishermen are they so happy ?
    You want to stay an Island, well, then develop your navy and find other ports in Europe than French ports !

13. mikel

mikel Read Only Funster

I completely agree with GJH's post.

And W. does have a point. Our fisherman aren't that happy either. Maybe they should collaborate with their French counterparts. Yes, Collaboration could be the way forward if it was one of our national strengths.

14. Bulletguy

Like sitting round a table and having endless meetings year in year out? We are pretty damn good at that and where has it got us? Absolutely nowhere.

Oh.......it's lost us plenty of industries.

The action taken by the French fishermen may well have been an 'illegal act'.....but at least there was no pussyfooting around for months on end.

15. Bulletguy

No they aren't.
    The UK fishing fleet has been decimated (reduced) with many fishermen no longer in work and their boats cut up for scrap. Once it was an industry. Now it's reduced to just a few boats at Peterhead, north east Scotland, the UK's largest fishing port.

As for being an island.....we lost that status long back when some dummy politicians (both British and French) had the bright idea of shoving a huge drainpipe under the Channel so people could experience life as a rat.

16. meggie

meggie Funster

if we have done the same we would have fishing fleet,i went to sea for 20y, now some one tell you that you can fish for so many days and got to put dead fish backin the sea

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Fair enough, that's a comment which differs from my opinion on illegal acts and I accept that views can differ.

Just for completeness though, what about a comment on the other part of my post:
    Graham

18. Bulletguy

To be honest Graham i've felt for a long time there is growing unrest within this country. People are fast losing patience with the blatant greed and hypocrisy of Governments. (Note i stated the plural......i make no exceptions for either party). There may be the odd one or maybe couple of MP's who are the exception, but out of 600 odd that is a miniscule minority. The rest are rotten to the the core and corrupt as hell.

OK we have a democracy. We vote our politicians in......and eventually we vote for our own choice of party. But it's not working very well and hasn't done for a long time.

Every time a Budget is drawn up, it's the same drivel......the drinker, the smoker, and the motorist.......seriously whacked.

The taxpaying public gets well and truly smacked every single time. We've bankrolled the financial plunderers only to see our money being handed out in great wads to the crooks that were not only responsible for running these Banks, but were already being paid telephone number salaries, the likes of which the rest of us will never ever see in a lifetime.

We've sat by and watched as fuel prices got hiked up to almost £2.00 a litre with a Government that flatly refused to lower the tax. What did we do about it? Nothing. Just meekly rolled over and accepted it.

Meantime the loot rolls into the Exchequer and carries on fattening up that index linked pension pot for greedy ministers, whilst the rest of us mere mortals are not only told that 'everyones living too long........you are going to have to work till you are 68', but many people find they now have to pay out more from their wage to cover the 'black hole' shortfall in their company pension fund. The people being paid huge sums of money to manage these funds are supposedly 'brilliant and clever' people. It would seem not.

How long are people going to put up with 'being nice' and 'sitting around a table' talking?

If we carry on like this i can see us heading toward civil war.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

How long? as long as we are English :Angry: its what we do best.....roll over and be trodden underfoot.:Sad:

20. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

I havn't voted for years simply because they are all the same (public school friends) and I don't want any of them to run the country..................hence I have no one to vote for.

Boo