French castor wheel m/cycle trailer (1 Viewer)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Basically I'm an engineer and I wasn't happy with the mechanics of what I was looking at, I couldn't put my finger on it but I didn't like it plus I wanted it inside the van so that

1. I didn't have to even think about the extra length when reversing
2. I didn't have to worry about prying eyes/something worth stealing
3 I didn't have to pay any more on tolls / ferries / tunnels.
4. I wouldn't have to hang warning triangles on the back of Ruby
5. No additional cost at camp site for trailer
6. No additional cost of purchasing trailer
7. No storage problems for trailer at home or away.

Same here bought a 25ft tag axle Hymer huge garage and massive payload, well over a ton.
Carry a Kawasaki Versys 650cc (215kg) in the garage plus all the other usual crap and still got payload to spare. So far done approx 40'000 miles mostly with the bike loaded in the garage and no issues and totally self contained.(y)(y) Garage is definitely the best way to go.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
what make is your trailer Popeye? - Looks substantial...

See post above, I never bought the trailer, this is a picture from this site......

.....it's just that it is the same as the trike I've just purchased

Broken Link Removed

Hi Griff,

How you getting on with the MP3. keeping your feet up yet?

I am intrigued as to how you get it in and out of a MH garage, any pics?

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
How you getting on with the MP3

Hi Steve, I was keeping my feet up in the first few minute though I do let them dangle when I'm doing very low speeds on my shingle driveway. Doesn't it get a move on though, I could lose my license with this little thing.

Plus, I bought three of these.........

http://www.theramppeople.co.uk/motorcycle-ramp-trp623-single

Strap them together and feed the trike up into the Garage and because it's a trike with a suspension brake there is no need to balance it, I just feed it in. Easier with two but manageable with one person.

I don't pick up my Mo-Ho for another month so I'm keeping quiet about it for now. In other words I'll believe it when it's sitting in my drive and not before.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
http://www.towyl.com/

This is the Towyl web site , but it not responding

Many thanks, that was the French one I was trying to remember. They made different sizes, the one I saw had a luggage box on it as well as a bit at the back for a M/C mounted transversely. It was a substantial bit of kit. The one in your picture is much smaller and with smaller wheels. However, they appear to have gone down the tubes. Adieu mes amis...

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0635.JPG

This is the US version. Seen on the back of a Airstream. Feb 2012 in the Arizona Dessert. (the Bike is a Triumph)

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
View attachment 56963 View attachment 56964

This is the US version. Seen on the back of a Airstream. Feb 2012 in the Arizona Dessert. (the Bike is a Triumph)
A single wheel worries me. They just don't look balanced or stable enough on the road. I feel sure though that I have seen a video clip of an American two wheeled version carrying a Honda Goldwing. That looked very substantial ....and large!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
A single wheel worries me. They just don't look balanced or stable enough on the road. I feel sure though that I have seen a video clip of an American two wheeled version carrying a Honda Goldwing. That looked very substantial ....and large!

Its actually a double wheel but far too close together I think for stability but being American it'll be way over built and weigh a ton.
This was the reason Easylifter took so long to develop the Hydralift, the originals had the wheel in the centre but you could not get the bike to sit level hence he had them all back and converted them to twin wheels one on each side.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The stability is due to the fact that it has two mounting points on the R-V Towbar, doesn't show in the pic`s the wheel(s) really just carry a large proportion of the Running mass, to make the load on the back end less, especially as it`s a Pusher.

Suggestion, How about adapting a Car towing Dolly? it would run as a "proper" Trailer and yet not take-up too much space at home or on-site?

pete

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Suggestion, How about adapting a Car towing Dolly? it would run as a "proper" Trailer and yet not take-up too much space at home or on-site?

pete

I know they're not legal except for breakdowns, but as you suggest adapting one, I don't think they have suspension built in. Might be easier starting from scratch ?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hmm, some research needed I suspect? Back in a Tick!

Yes, a quick "trawl" of "Flea bay", it would appear that most are not fitted with suspension. Although the US one I rented from "U Haul" in Florida to Texas DID have suspension units, so I guess that's a Non Starter?

Hey Ho back to the drawing board!!

Pete

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I couldn't find this post yesterday!! So posted elsewhere a link to Yo- remorques.com,they have a very usefull looking trailer,hope this helps.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I did think about building something similar a couple of years back when we still had the RT. I bought some industrial rubber compression springs and did a "fag packet" design for the suspension but couldn't come up with a feasible castoring system. I may still rethink the design (once I've finished building my hydraulic log splitter and UDS !) and maybe utilise some trailer hubs and spindles for the castors, watch this space !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back