French campsites in season with kids? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Is it advisable to pre book sites in height of the season---- or can i drive /arrive and see?
I like to be free to wander where i want, then drive in to a nearby site from the sat nav :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
In my experience you need to book.

Also in my experience I wouldn't bother to go.

Spain every time for me, but that's just me.::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We regularly do France in the summer with the boys.

We go where we feel, with no real fixed plans. I just call up on the day and check or occasionally the evening before.

We've never had a problem getting a pitch... :thumb:

France has so many good campsites...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Been going with kids all over France for past 15 yrs. never booked a site, only problem we ever had finding somewhere was on the med and when we got there we were glad we never stayed more than a night.... So It depends. Where you are off,
Strangely the smaller the site the easier it seems in our experience :Smile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have been going to France for about 10 years last 5 with MH, when we had the caravan we used to book but have never booked a site since having MH it gives you the freedom to move on or stay longer depending on the weather. We have a 14 year old daughter and always take a friend or 2 with her.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
France in Season

We have been travelling to France in the school holidays for years with no booking. If you avoid the coastal areas and go inland a bit there is usually no problem. If you are desperate for a coastal site then arrive in the morning just as people are leaving and you will usually get in somewhere. Get a Michelin campsite book in France, that's got sites everywhere and pretty easy to navigate around although it's in French! Another tip is when you find a site avoid travelling the weekends in August, mid week gives you more of a chance. We stay on a lot of smaller municipal type sites which are usually great value for money.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back