French campsites in season with kids?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by joner8888, Jun 27, 2012.

1. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Is it advisable to pre book sites in height of the season---- or can i drive /arrive and see?
    I like to be free to wander where i want, then drive in to a nearby site from the sat nav :thumb:

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

In my experience you need to book.

Also in my experience I wouldn't bother to go.

Spain every time for me, but that's just me.:BigGrin:

3. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

We regularly do France in the summer with the boys.

We go where we feel, with no real fixed plans. I just call up on the day and check or occasionally the evening before.

We've never had a problem getting a pitch... :thumb:

France has so many good campsites...

4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Been going with kids all over France for past 15 yrs. never booked a site, only problem we ever had finding somewhere was on the med and when we got there we were glad we never stayed more than a night.... So It depends. Where you are off,
    Strangely the smaller the site the easier it seems in our experience :Smile:

5. lorger

lorger Funster

We have been going to France for about 10 years last 5 with MH, when we had the caravan we used to book but have never booked a site since having MH it gives you the freedom to move on or stay longer depending on the weather. We have a 14 year old daughter and always take a friend or 2 with her.

6. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

France in Season

We have been travelling to France in the school holidays for years with no booking. If you avoid the coastal areas and go inland a bit there is usually no problem. If you are desperate for a coastal site then arrive in the morning just as people are leaving and you will usually get in somewhere. Get a Michelin campsite book in France, that's got sites everywhere and pretty easy to navigate around although it's in French! Another tip is when you find a site avoid travelling the weekends in August, mid week gives you more of a chance. We stay on a lot of smaller municipal type sites which are usually great value for money.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday.