French Campsites at Christmas (1 Viewer)

Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
I know that spending Christmas at a site or a CL in the UK is becoming more and more popular. As we'll be slowly heading down through France in search of some southern sun during the Christmas week, I'm curious as to whether we'll find the sites in France are busy or even booked up (or closed!).
Anyone have any experience of this?

It's not a problem as we're happy to use Aires en route anyway, but just thought I'd ask because there's so much knowledge washing around in this forum. :)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Not a lot of campsites open in France in the winter, bit like the uk.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
try looking on ACSI site their isn't many on there open in the winter but if your careful you can find aires that are still open and have electricity, we did last Christmas and was only without electricity for one night and water for one night but was ok as filled up before leaving previous aire.

joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I stayed on two sites last December (at Saumur and either Chinon or Cognac, can't remember) whilst en route South which were busy, packed I'd say, with itinerants (Gens de Voyage). Apparently the Gov't via the Mairie pays the site operator a nominal amount for itinerants to over-winter there. They were tips compared with when I've stayed in them in summer. Lots of kids tearing about on bikes, rubbish strewn everywhere and many muscular noisy dogs. Half the loos and shower doors were set at 'Engaged' to reduce the work of the cleaning staff although this was pointless as it just meant that those that remained available were awful.
It was my first experience of touring in France in winter in spite of 20 yrs motorhome and motorbike touring in Europe. I'd advise, and I will in future have a close inspection of sites before stopping or just use aires.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
If your route takes you Limoges way then there is Parcverger, run by a English couple, loverly site.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Which route will you be taking? How far down south do you intend to go for Christmas?

Although I'm far from being free at the moment, I can still offer a free stopover at my place (Next to Toulouse). I guess you are independant grown ups, and don't really need some frog to entertain you.

If interested please let me know on here by tagging me ( @yodeli )
Weather at the moment is wall to wall bkue sky all afternoon , around 16° temperature, and foggy in the morning. At least one more week of that weather, after that .... just like everywhere... who knows?!

Amicalement

Frankie:xsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
X
Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
Which route will you be taking? How far down south do you intend to go for Christmas?

Although I'm far from being free at the moment, I can still offer a free stopover at my place (Next to Toulouse). I guess you are independant grown ups, and don't really need some frog to entertain you.

If interested please let me know on here by tagging me ( @yodeli )
Weather at the moment is wall to wall bkue sky all afternoon , around 16° temperature, and foggy in the morning. At least one more week of that weather, after that .... just like everywhere... who knows?!

Amicalement

Frankie:xsmile:
Thanks Frankie, @yodeli, for that very kind offer.

The "plan" insofar as it is a plan, is to turn south at Calais and head down the Atlantic coast, Rouen - Poitiers - Bordeaux with an idea of getting to San Sebastian/Santander at some point and down towards the Algarve (possibly) in very slow time.
The "how far south" question is a good one and something the wife and I have talked about a lot! We've agreed on : As soon as we find somewhere we like the look of and it's around 15 degrees, we'll stop. Then move on as the weather gets colder.

So we probably won't be coming as far East as your place, but thanks again for the thought; much appreciated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back