French Breathalysers

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Dave and Ginny, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Hi all,

Just when you think you have asked your last question :cry:

A few weeks ago when I was looking at 'check lists' I came across some posts or info somewhere or other :Blush: that were saying that carrying two breathalyser kits in France had been scrubbed, thrown out, no longer needed.

I've just received my March copy of Camping and Caravaning....you see where this is going? Yes, page 15 under news is a reminder not to forget that fines come into effect next month.

Anyone care to comment....please? Do I rush out a buy a couple?

Dave, (confused in Notts)

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

went to press before it was delayed indefinitely

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Still a bit confusing, the advice is to carry one, but no one will be fined if they do not. So its a please yourself/maybe:BigGrin:

4. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

The thing is The French have a very Lassez faire attitude on this and OTHER so called rules of the road Do You Don't You if it is allegedly law carry them..

5. 656

656 Read Only Funster

Last weekend on the DFDS Ferry to France, they relayed over the PA that Breathalysers were required in France!!!

6. Techno

Yes they will as they are stuck with shed loads that only have a 2yr shelf life

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Whats more the ones DFDS have are 10 times the price of anywhere else :Rofl1:

8. Techno

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months.

9. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Mine I purchased in France are valid for two years.....I paid 1.25 euros each...I Have two .......these were purchased when the first due was announced....not a lot of money for peace of mind.......I may never ever use them....so what... it fills somebodies bank account:Doh::Wink::Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I was in Halfrauds today and they had a huge number at £5.99. I suggested they should reduce them for a quick sale before everyone realises you don't need them.

I actually have a couple in the van, bought cheap in France, but I don't suppose I'll replace them when they go out of date.

11. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Thanks for all the views expressed. I'm not going to rush out a buy any but if I see a bargain I'll maybe grab it!

12. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Let's make it simple:
    No one I know around has got any!

I think I have one but can't remember where I put it!

You don't NEED any, you won't be fined in any case just don't drive when you drank! It sounds so obvious to me, yet so many people think about the b****y fine and don't care about their own lives or others'ones even:Doh:

BTW I gave you an answer as well on your other thread... did you check it lately?

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Also the price that the ferries were charging it would have been cheaper to risk the fine :BigGrin:

14. Oldyamyam

Oldyamyam

I agree with Frankie.!
    The important thing here is not the fine or how much the kits cost. But drinking and driving.
    Simples! if you drink don't Drive!!!! If you drive don't drink!!!!!

Dave

15. Techno

Exactly and the law was so stupid that it still required T totallers to carry them :Doh:

16. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Don't have one. Won't get one.

We often play a game called "lawbreaker" when in France. This entails counting how many French people are on the hard shoulder not wearing a high visibility vest and not displaying a warning triangle. I have to stop after a couple of days due to threats of violence from my wife.

My indulgence ends at four HV vests, two triangles and a pack of spare lamps.