French breathalyser latest

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by wivvy's dad, Jul 4, 2012.

1. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

2. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Does anyone know if motorcyclists will have to carry these breathe test kits ?

3. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

I shall add this to the list of things I haven't bought and don;t intend to buy. And practically, what does an unused breathalyser do to improve road safety? It's Catch 22 - I did have a breathalyser, officer, but I used it to confirm I was safe to drive. Ah, but now you don't have a breathalyser...

4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I believe they do.

[HI]It has emerged that the chief of the road safety group that persuaded Nicolas Sarkozy’s government to adopt the ruling is also a senior executive with the leading manufacturer of the blow-in-the-bag test kits.

French daily Sud Ouest revealed on Wednesday that Daniel Orgeval, the president of the anti-drink driving lobby group I-Test, also works for Contralco, the leading manufacturer of the equipment.[/HI]

Goodness me, that's a surprise, whatever next?

• Like Like x 1
  5. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Yes , they do have to carry one ....Each day since the first of July they repeat it on the radio news, so I am sure !

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

One or two? I thought two were needed in case you were instructed to use one.

7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Are you allowed to carry a reusable digital one or does it have to be one authorised by the French government so they can get their kickbacks? :Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. yodeli

NO ...one is enough! They are supposed to provide a breathalyzer when they control you !!!

If you are not an alcohol drinker you just need the one you have to show the Police. In fact the others should be in the houses where you're going so you can test yourselves before leaving. I would not be surprised either if the restaurants were having a few at disposal for their clients.

I have a set of 2 because they were sold together. But will never use them . I don't drink. Problem solved:Smile:

Amicalement

Frankie:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. yodeli

Karl ... I see you everywhere :Rofl1::Rofl1:

It just has to be french normes NF that's all !

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

like in Spain, the French police are out to catch motorists for anything if they can get away with. From the standard of French driving Ive seen as typical, your just as likely to be bumped by a local car. The police will then attend and as a matter of procedure check your breathaliser is there. Cheaper to spend 3 or 4 euos now than get fined

Im not saying your not right about the probable usefulness, but it is a legal requirement and to state you dont intend to comply is a gamble...do you feel lucky??

• Like Like x 1
  11. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

We bought one of the digital ones, does this mean we have wasted our money and will have to buy the blow the bag up model??

Ginny

12. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

From what I've seen of the NF ones it is very difficult to assess the accuracy so use the digital one but keep the cheap NF ones with you as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

We were in France in June and I tried to buy two ready for our next excursion. None of the supermarkets I tried had any stock. I understand they are in short supply.

14. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Motorcyclist's yes...to a point...but not all motorised cycles...I put this on a thread earlier this week,With a lot of other information

Breath test kits obligatory
    March 05, 2012
    DRIVERS and motorcyclists will be obliged to carry a breath test in their vehicles from July 1 after the publication of the new law in the Journal Officiel.

Foreign visitors and tourists also come under the new law which opinion polls have said is welcomed by two in three voters in France.

Anyone found not carrying a breath test kit will face a fine of €11 and only cyclomoteurs - two-wheelers of under 50cc -DOES THIS MEAN JJ On his Velo solex will be exempt. OH NO...A period of grace will mean it will not be enforced until November 1.

Mel

15. Heyupluv

Spot on .big1.........also do you think GB plated plated vehicles would be a prime target:Wink::Wink:...
    The reason I say that is because our UK neighbour and my cousin were pulled, and had to pay 90 euros, for not physically stopping at a stop sign..they could see the road was clear both ways!!! so with the car was still just rolling ...pulled out !!whoops Gendarme bikers two of them....also a UK biker did not give way to two Gendarme bikers pulling out off the slip road on the motorway (priority right) slow down and let them on the motorway or pull into the second lane if clear...90euros

Mel

16. Heyupluv

Advice from the Sécurité Routière is to carry two kits - to cover any eventual usage.

Costs for the simple balloon-type are no more than €1.50. They should carry the NF (Norme Française) logo and should be changed every two years.

Mel

17. yodeli

Yes Mel , I would say the same to someone who drinks on a regular basis . In fact I would recommend to these people at least 10 of them. But we are talking about LAW , just this , and it says only one is compulsary. I bought 2 only because it was a set of 2 ... but I don't drink and if I had had the choice , I would have had only one.
    If I happen to drink ...it means someone else drives or I am at home ... simple!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Wink:

18. Heyupluv

Frankie ...this is not my advice this was out of a French newspaper.
    .Advice from the Sécurité Routière is to carry two kits - to cover any eventual usage.

My wife and I also do not drink.... That has nothing to do with it.......it says you must have a kit on board at all times...so having used one if pulled over, you need another one to carry on with your journey,

If you want to carry ONE blow in a bag in your car that is up to you.....

But for motorhomers coming across from the uk it may be better for them to carry two kits as suggested in the French news paper ..Due to them having differculties aquiring the French breathalyser kit in the first place, and do not need the extra worry driving around looking for a replacement when they should be enjoying there holiday.
    .:Doh:. I thought that was sound advice from the Sécurité Routière

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  19. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

We dont drink and drive, but will the French police accept the digital model or will we need to buy the NF ones as well? just to be within the letter of the law?

20. yodeli

Yeah ... Do have a NF one and you'll be peace minded.... just like me :Smile:

Amicalement

Frankie:thumb: