French battlefields

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by jaygee, Jul 9, 2009.

1. jaygee

jaygee Funster

We are going to visit this area in August. Has anyone done any battlefield tours or stayed at campsites near this area they would recommend?

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

It does make it difficult when half the question is still in yer head
    French Battle fields, what area what century:RollEyes: WW2 or French Revolution:Doh:

3. weymard

weymard Read Only Funster

:Cool: What battlefields ? May be I do not understand well but France was a big battelfield form 2000 years ! :Rofl1:
    Gergovie battlefield ?
    Alesia battlefield ?
    Crecy battlefield ?
    Formigny battlefield ?
    Cathare's battelfields ?
    la Rochelle, Quiberon battelfields ?
    Valmy battlefield ?
    Somme battlefields ?
    Verdun battlefield ?
    Normandy beaches ?
    Provence Battelfields ?
    You have the choice and i forget it a lot ! Allow me to give you an advice: visit France, it is a battlefield ! :BigGrin:

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

I imagine most battles sites will have either a parking area which may allow overnight parking or have Aire de service close by ..

Buy a copy of the French Aires de Service and cross reference the battle sites you wish to visit with the Aires locations ..

If you have a Sat Nav Download the Aires POIs from Camping Car Infos

If you are ambitious, plot the both locations on a Google map, you can also keep notes for each location, this will come in useful for keeping track and for others who follow your footsteps.. This is part of the fun... planning !

If all that's too much work .. don't worry about finding a site .. France is the most friendly place for motorhomes, just go and enjoy :Smile:

Jim

5. lufcdave7

lufcdave7 Read Only Funster

Hi Jaygee

We visited areas around Dunkirk and Normandy a few years ago. From memory the beaches where the WW2 landings took place are all accessible by motorhome and have large areas where you can park up. There is a blog by a couple called Dave and Vanessa called "the lovers guide to Europe" where they describe their journey so far in their camper/mh and she mentions a few sites on there which might be useful to you.

Enjoy your visit........ I'm sure you'll find plenty to see and many places to stop. :Smile:

(mrs) Luffy

6. paradocs

paradocs Read Only Funster

As a former member of British Airborne Forces, I personally enjoy visiting many areas of Normandy where airborne drops (and even misdrops) took place. In particular, Pegasus Bridge and Merville Battery has lots of history, and you will never be short of bumping into and chatting to Airborne Veterans sat outside "Cafe Gondree" at Pegasus Bridge, the first place in France to be liberated on DDay. Look out for a one-armed veteran called "Nobby", a great character with a celebrity status who will gladly re-enact the assault by three gliders shortly after midnight 06 June 1944.
    There are many aires available right across Normandy, but be aware that they will get very busy in August, particularly the one in Arromanche, so arrive early!
    There is so much to see, so take your time, and above all, enjoy :thumb:
    Wish I was coming too - but NOT in August!

Dave

7. jaygee

jaygee Funster

thanks for all the infor. It was the WW2 sites that we were interested ion and will probably head for Pegasas Bridge.

8. staging lady

staging lady Funster

If you are interested in WW1 you could see
    Vimy ridge memorial
    /en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_National_Vimy_Memorial
    The crater at La Boiselle
    ]www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/somme/laboiselle.htm
    The Newfoundland Memorial at Beaumont Hamel ( where there is absolutely no birdsong)
    http://firstworldwar.com/today/beaumonthamel
    First World War.com - The Western Front Today - Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial
    The Memorial to the Missing at Thiepval

World War One Battlefields : The Somme : Thiepval

Also the tunnels/cellars under Arras are interesting.
    Hope this helps.
    Lucille

9. kickstart

kickstart Funster

Thanks for some good information on WW1 sites staging lady,plenty of exploring to do there :Smile:

10. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

Visited this year stoped at Arromanches Municipal which is idealy situated for visits to loads of the world war 11 sites.

11. twooks

twooks Read Only Funster

A word of warning,

it is seriously very depressing

12. bushman51

bushman51 Read Only Funster

World War 11...? I must have missed something :Wink:

13. weymard

:Smile: Yes, if you want to see only the battlefield where Uk Army was engaged you must to follow all the Somme and the North of France, a lot of war cemetery (too much...) which they are often at the same place where the warriors were killed. Too much men died...very sad. Respects...

14. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

one and one make?:Wink:

15. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Ypres and Tyne Cott, Albert Belmont Hamel have visited then all along with Verdun, a must.

They always make me feel angry and sad.

16. Chris Woods

Chris Woods Read Only Funster

Many french towns and motorways have places where you can park free overnight, look for the little camper van and van service point signs (a van over a drain), these sites have drains and water and you are allowed to camp there or nearby. Often they are the 'outer' car park round the town or picnic areas in the daytime, but popular free van parks especially near the coast, can get busy and unpleasantly crowded.
    If you do the tour route round the Falaise gap in lower Normandy (an hour of so south of Caen and Pegassus and where the final WWII battles were fought) you will find many towns have free places and/or excellent and inexpensive municipal sites where you get loos, showers etc.
    We regularly used to stop at a very friendly nicely run municipal site in Vimoutiers, there is now a free point in the car park there too. Falaise has an impressive municipal site.

Chris

17. BUSMAN2

BUSMAN2 Deleted User

WW2 Sites

We done Normandy the year before last, As someone already said Pegasus Bridge is the centre of things in normandy. We booked a site very close (just a walk along the river) from the bridge and museum throught the camping and caravan club, safer than useing aires and this is a big year over there and it is nice to be sure of a pitch. The main thing I was not expecting was driving down from Calais just how much money I spent on tolls.
    It is woth it and don't forget a trip to do the landing beaches. Have fun:BigGrin:
    The Barkers

18. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

If it's WW2 sites i'd suggest giving this place a visit
    Picture Gallery for Oradour-sur-Glane 10 June 1944

A village on the outskirts of Limoges where the Nazis carried out a horrendous massacre of almost all men, women and children.

The village has been left untouched since and is there as a memorial.

I've not seen it myself as mostly i look at the history of concentration camps and post 1945 GDR, but if touring France, i'd say this is a site not to miss.

19. weymard

You can visit also the Struthoff in Vosges, the only contration camp in France, a nightmare .......................

here link in English
    How to get there | STRUTHOF

20. strathspey

strathspey Read Only Funster

The municipal site at Albert near Amiens is good. It is by a lake and within easy walking distance of the town. Many of the Somme sites are withing easy reach, including the famous Thiepval cemetery and Lochnagar crater.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009