French Aires in the summer.

Discussion in 'France' started by Tom A, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Tom A

Tom A Funster

We're travelling down to Chamonix next year, end of July beginning of August.
    I know it's going to be busy but what's the chances of getting on Aires on our way down ?
    Taking two of the grandkids so can't go out of season like we normally do and no idea how busy it's going to be.
    I've booked a couple of sites on the way back but prices are ridiculous so looking to save a bit on our way down.

2. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Should have no problems getting on Aires, providing you are sensible and have a "back up option"

By sensible, I mean don't expect to arrive at a small aire in a popular tourist attraction at 8 pm and have a choice of spots. ;)

We have had very few issues with regards to aires being full, even on the Med in August.

Having said that, I would always advise having a few options in case there's no room (or your first choice is rubbish!)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Arrive between 1000 and 1400 is the best plan!
    French leaving have gone and don't usually start arriving till 1600 soonest.

• Like Like x 5
  4. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

As above, have a Plan B for every aire you plan to visit, and aim wherever possible for medium to large ones, with a view to arriving mid/late morning to get the best choice of available spots.

Most of our MH trips have been during school summer holiday time - we have rarely if ever failed to find a spot wherever we've been.

Assuming a reasonably early arrival in Calais and a direct route to Chamonix, a good one to consider is the free parking area at Mesnil Saint Pere just east of Troyes. If you really crack on the aire/municipal campsite at Dijon is worth heading for.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Went in Aug a couple of years ago. Aires were fine though we always made a point of arriving early afternoon. The kids being on holiday didn't make a lot of difference, we saw very few on the aires, probably don't appeal to people with children as no facilities. When I toured with my three boys years ago we always stayed on sites with pools and showers. Five people using a motorhome shower is not very practical.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We did that trip this year at pretty much the same time - end of July. We had no trouble finding aires.

We did:

Watten - Mareuil sur Ay - Froncles - Nantua - La Balme de Sellingy - Chamonix.

No problem finding space at any of them but we made a point of arriving just after lunch or early afternoon. A lot of them were full by early evening.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

We have traveled through France on route to Benidorm for the past 3 years. Never had an issue with inland stops as most of the French have headed out for the coast but as said have a plan B ready...

• Like Like x 1
  8. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

If you're going the Belgium, Lux, Metz, Nancy route then you can stop at Pont a Mousson Aire, which is right on the river Mosselle and a short walk into town.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

We were in the area around Nancy Metz late August/Early September this year. We struggled on a couple of days trying to find an Aire. Started off with

Pont a Mousson No Chance FULL early

Tried three others around it within 20-30 mins drive. ALL FULL

Eventually, after 3 hours, faffing and lots of kM's. We found a great spot by the river. FREE, next to a campsite. But what a waste of an afternoon.

*Do not rely on them.*

Liverdun and so was mine! IMG_9302.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  10. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

11. orridge

orridge Funster

Would suggest booking in Chamonix as the summer we were there everything was booked out except the aire under the Aigle du Midi which is fine for a couple of days but wouldn't want to stay much longer than that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NickNic

What's wrong with it? We had 3 nights there and I would have happily stayed longer if we didn't have other places to be. I guess it might not be great fun at this time of year but in the summer it's fine.

Safe parking, water and waste. That'll do me (y)

By booking I guess you mean campsites as obviously it isn't possible to book aires. I understand there are quite a few around there but we never even considered them when we went.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

We always try and arrive for lunch time so that we invariably get a space and time to explore the town/ village in the afternoon.

One thing I would advise though is taking a bucket or watering can for refilling your fresh water. Once you've found a space on a busy aires sometimes it's best to stay put rather than move to fill up. More than once we've watched people put out doormats, chairs etc to reserve a place while they go and service the van only to have someone arrive and chuck it all to one side and take the space. Technically that's OK, if a bit cheeky. With one particularly huge van I had the firm impression that even if the previous occupant had left his children lying on the space to reserve it they'd have been driven over.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tom A

Tom A Funster

Hi Nick.
    Do you think we'd get on the aire ?
    We like the look of Nantua so will probably go there and be in Chamonix mid morning.

15. NickNic

Hi,

There aire at Chamonix is part of a huge car park. There's space for several hundred motorhomes so you won't have any problems. When we were there in the summer it was €12.50 per 24 hours which is bloody expensive for an aire but it's all about the location. You're about 5 minutes stroll from the town and there's a supermarket about 400 yards away through the coach park.

Here it is: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.9166707,6.8706924,312m/data=!3m1!1e3

Nantua is much smaller, space for about 8 or 10 vans if I remember correctly at the side of the lake. You definitely need to be there early.

• Like Like x 2
  16. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Being as it's shared with cars it will fill up with cars in the high season from about 9am until about 5pm, so it's a good example of an aire you can arrive at later on in the day to get a better choice of spots.

There are supposedly designated MH bays but the car drivers use them up, so I'd suggest taking your time getting there.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tom A

Tom A Funster

Like the sound of Chamonix aire. Might book the site at Nantua instead of taking a chance on the aire.

18. orridge

orridge Funster

If you like spending your holidays on a large car park then it's perfect ;-) and the OP mentioned travelling with Grand Kids but I do agree it's very handy for the cable cars and the centre of Town.

I did mean campsites although there is a private aire further down the valley at Les Houches which I believe you could book and get the train up the valley.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NickNic

Quite agree. Personally given the choice between a car park and a CC type campsite I'd take the car park every time. (y)

• Like Like x 3
  20. ojibway

ojibway Funster

Froncles!
    We stopped there this year and drove straight out again. It used to be a lovely little stop off but this year it was scruffy with lots of permanent motorhomers!