tonywolst

Free Member
Jul 22, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First time I'll be trying one out, Anything to watch out for?
Normally when entering a campsite I rock up with hardcore RnB blasting away, slam on the handbrake into a J-turn wheels screeching to halt, let the kids spill out and scatter the bikes, inflatables and other toys all over the place, let the youngest pee against the ehu whilst he's plugging it in, then light immeasurably smoky bbq and yell at the misses to get me a beer, Will I blend in?:ROFLMAO:
I'm joking of course, but seriously any tips?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is vital when communicating with the locals (telling then what you want them to do for you) that you talk SLOWLY and LOUDLY... (in English of course) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Don't forget to slip in Agincourt and Waterloo but steer clear of footy and cooking...:thumb:

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Normally when entering a campsite I rock up with hardcore RnB blasting away, slam on the handbrake into a J-turn wheels screeching to halt, let the kids spill out and scatter the bikes, inflatables and other toys all over the place, let the youngest pee against the ehu whilst he's plugging it in, then light immeasurably smoky bbq and yell at the misses to get me a beer, Will I blend in?:ROFLMAO:

Yeah swop the R&B for heavy rock :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
It is vital when communicating with the locals (telling then what you want them to do for you) that you talk SLOWLY and LOUDLY... (in English of course) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Don't forget to slip in Agincourt and Waterloo but steer clear of footy and cooking...:thumb:

:Angry::Angry: i am going to teach you good manners my Prince!!!!

Well ... will do that in a softy way ... promissed::bigsmile:::bigsmile::winky:

Your Princess::bigsmile:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
seriously any tips?

Stay well clear of GB plated vans.. park with the French.. however....word of advice..
don't park with your door facing your French neighbours .. they will expect an invite and drink all your wine .. :cry:

seriously... have fun.. the French are lovely people and enjoy conversing.. just try using a little French rather than shouting :roflmto:

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I don't know which aires you are on about, but I do know the women don't seem to shave the ones under their arms :Eeek:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
In the same vein always slam door and shout at each other instead of talking ....

Seriously, though they are mostly sposed to be 'no camping equipment' which includes awnings, but in practice of course, do whatever everyone else does. If the spaces are marked then don't encroach - this time of year the best ones will likely be fairly packed so often there's no chance - but some or wider than others, even with hedges etc, so you can of course use whatever space you get, or there maybe a grassed area behind/in front/to the side in which case again, just use he width/length of your own van.

Quite a lot don't actually have EHU except on the borne where it's sposed to be just used for eg battery recharging, but you don't usually get a lot of time for your dosh so really aren't all that good for anything, hence why so many of us have solar panels and don't bother taking anything much that doesn't work off 12v. And in any event, even on a campsite where you are paying for and can have a proper EHU, you might need one helluva lead .... or a couple to reach the post from your pitch. And also may not often be the full 16a - I forgot the water heater was on on an aire at Le Treport second time out, I was already boiling a kettle on the one elec ring we have on the stove at the same time - and ridiculously decided to use the microwave oven too ... :Doh: just sorta forgot ... !

Couldn't reset the trip on the post but were able to plug in elsewhere under cover of late afternoon gloom! :Blush:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
And here are some useful phrases to get wrong:

After winning a game of pool in the bar - 'Je suis le champignon' (I am the mushroom)

When thanking the wife of a fellow camper for their hospitality - 'Merci , beau cul' (Thank you, good ar*e)

When ordering a drink at the bar - 'Juste de tomat/orange etc (Equality for tomatos/oranges etc)

At the barbecue - 'Deux branlette s'il vous plait' (Two hand jobs please)

At the chemist, with an upset tummy - 'Avez vous d'huile de castor?' (Do you stock beaver juice?)

They really do work - I've used 4 of these 5 phrases to very good effect.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Having just done 6/7 weeks in France mainly on Aires, we found no problem whatsoever. We did what we do on CL/CS's in England, i.e. treat others with respect and it is returned.
Some aires are a tight fit and even when not don't expect to be able to put table n chairs out, others have loads of space.
As has been said look at what others do and fit in. :thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
thats a good thing then

Indeed, opened no end of doors, people (for whatever reason) dislike some English.

We have been to visit orchards and when the French lady identified that I was Welsh she gave me an apple. When we saw some French rugby fanswe shared a picnic with them and I gave them a 'spare' Welsh flag. In Calais we were talking to some French campers and they wanted a spare Welsh Flag.

Overall, we have been made welcome in all of France, the people are very nice, polite and overall the children are well behaved, I suspect some are brought up by grandparents.

Mrs ShiftZZ and I spent a few days in Barfleur in the company of a camper from Brittany who spoke NO English and we got on like a house on fire, common words, rugby, Cardiff is enough to start them off,

I love the place, the people and the food.

Just relax, enjoy, it will be fine...

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

After winning a game of pool in the bar - 'Je suis le champignon' (I am the mushroom)

When thanking the wife of a fellow camper for their hospitality - 'Merci , beau cul' (Thank you, good ar*e)

When ordering a drink at the bar - 'Juste de tomat/orange etc (Equality for tomatos/oranges etc)

At the chemist, with an upset tummy - 'Avez vous d'huile de castor?' (Do you stock beaver juice?)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh my goodness!!!!!:Doh:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Indeed, opened no end of doors, people (for whatever reason) dislike some English.

We have been to visit orchards and when the French lady identified that I was Welsh she gave me an apple. When we saw some French rugby fanswe shared a picnic with them and I gave them a 'spare' Welsh flag. In Calais we were talking to some French campers and they wanted a spare Welsh Flag.

Overall, we have been made welcome in all of France, the people are very nice, polite and overall the children are well behaved, I suspect some are brought up by grandparents.

Mrs ShiftZZ and I spent a few days in Barfleur in the company of a camper from Brittany who spoke NO English and we got on like a house on fire, common words, rugby, Cardiff is enough to start them off,

I love the place, the people and the food.

Just relax, enjoy, it will be fine...

Yes I would agree with that, BUT that can be said of any country or people, we also have been to France and other european countries over the last few years and have not found any anymosity or trouble from the locals, and indeed shared many a bottle or two.

OP
OP
T

tonywolst

Free Member
Jul 22, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Im teaching the misses now, cant wait to see the reaction she gets:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

You sure you aint been on one
Sure ive parked next to you:Doh:
Geo

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we are in France at the moment and have used several Aires if you take the one in Sarlat for example it is jam packed and not meant to leave more than a metre between vans so no room for camping stuff. It is 5eruo a night and right in city centre so really all you could expect and ideal to visit the city for night or two. We have just spent 2 nights on a lovely aire right next to river and town and loads of room for table and chairs and some others have BBQ out it has a toilet block and cost 4 euro a night which is well worth it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back