French Aire water connection

Discussion in 'France' started by Doneromin, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Doneromin

Doneromin Read Only Funster

We have recently returned from three weeks touring France, on two Aires, (Sassenge and Annot) the drinking water connection on the service post,was not the normal BSP threaded tap. Neither had a tap to turn on/off, only what I suspect was a fitting similar to that for which a male "Hoselock" adaptor would push into. There is a"pin" in the centre of the fitting,which perhaps is a part of how it operates to allow water to flow. The water was free, so there was NO payments involved.
    I asked two French M/Homers, neither had any idea what fitting could be used.
    Has anyone come across these connections, Aire Water Connection.jpg if so, what connector fits them please ?

2. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

Someone posted about this during the summer and I think that MMM mentioned it in one of their features.
    You need a double male connector.
    The feature/post said they'd bought it from a French hardware store but I googled it and got the same make from a UK garden centre. I bought different sizes just in case.
    Hozelock also do them.

3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Wow, just looked, there's loads of different sizes. Is that correct do you think? image.jpg image.jpg

4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

These are becoming more popular and as said above will accept the male end of a Hozelock 1/2" fitting.
    The only problem is that the water floes immediately and if you are not prepared can give you a good soaking.

5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Reminds me of one I used at the Le Croisic aire that had water pressure like a fire hose - pure slapstick.

6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Connect hose to MoHo, connect hozelock twin male to hose, show wife where to plug into wall. (y) :LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

The connectors mentioned in a previous thread and in MMM were as follows:

Gardena 931-26 and Gardena 916-26.

However, the latter is suitable for 19mm hose pipe and should be substituted with the equivalent 13mm Gardena connector for 1/2" hose pipe.

I bought these in a French Brico store but never had to use them on the aires I visited.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

probably an attempt to stop people washing their thetfords under the potable tap.

If you have to connect your own hose, then you wash your cassette at your own risk.

haven't come across one yet though, but will get the connectors just in case.

• Like Like x 2
  9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Chamonix is the same. My old flat hose pipe didn't survive the water pressure there. It was split in about three places after filling the van once.

Also the Stellplatz at Freiburg is just as bad.

10. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I am sure you can buy pressure reducers, Gardenia do one, so does Hoselock, although I don't know what fittings they use. I have a flat hose, I'll be checking out reducers before we go away again, just in case, although, I haven't seen one of these connectors at an aire yet.

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

• Like Like x 1
  12. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

In Nantes at municipal campsite I bought a tap that plugs into that fitting-I had seen one before at Caro on Cotes Bleu aire.

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

plenty of options if you want a tap connection which can also be used to control the flow..

upload_2015-10-31_8-28-53.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  14. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Thanks @ScotJimland , Now something else for my onboard garage store (hose kit)

• Like Like x 1
  15. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

This type of connection seems to becoming more popular, I've found them in a number of places. Chateaudun and Saint Benoit-du-Sault on our recent trip to the Dordogne. I like them a lot as they are very effective at stopping the drinking water connection being used to flush the toilet cassette. The connector I have was bought for about 50p from Lidls back in the spring when they had their gardening equipment week. The only difficulty I have is releasing the connector, you need a tight grip as a hard push is required on the knurled ring.

You can see the connector on the second photo here https://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/eure-et-loir/28-chateaudun

• Like Like x 1
  16. Doneromin

Doneromin Read Only Funster

Thanks for everyone's comments, I did have a "Hozelock" fitting, but as it was plastic, I was concerned that if it broke, how do you turn the water OFF ? so I will make up one with a metal type, to go with my GPL /gas filler adapter, my double plug to change electric polarity adapter, headlight beam adapters, and now a water connection adapter. All I need now is a language adapter,

• Like Like x 6
  17. Roverslass

Roverslass

SomeoneElse re the water fill on the photo in Oct 2015, can you tell me more about your connector please? I'm trying to buy one before setting off on this year's trip.
    Any chance of a photo?

18. icantremember

icantremember Funster

:hiya2: @Roverslass :welcomesign:

As shown by the pictures in some of the posts above you will find that any fitting with a male Hozelock end will fit.

i.e.
    [​IMG]But BEWARE .... in most cases the water will flow as soon as you plug the fitting in .... I know that 'cos I got soaked the first time I used one!:rolleyes:

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. FJmike

FJmike Funster

From experience the one in the photo may not fit due to the flange in the middle. Shopping around should find one without the flange. This type of connector is becoming more common on French Aires, I assume it's because they require less maintenance.

20. rb62

rb62 Funster

image.jpg Hoselock do a metal version available on Amazon or without flange ebay
    image.jpg