Freezing water tanks (1 Viewer)

angep

Free Member
Jul 12, 2008
S/W Wales
Funster No
Sorry if I am asking something really obvious (especially after reading th Fun!!!! thread:Cool:) but we recently returned from France where our waste froze!

We have heating elements in both waste and fresh tanks. We have lagged both tanks and pipes. What else can we do????

Any advice would be great thanks! :Smile::Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The cheapest solution is to leave the waste drain tap open and stick a bucket under it. This can usually be easily emptied even if partly frozen. Even if completely frozen you can usually tip it out of the bucket, though not sure what you do with the resulting ice cubes :ROFLMAO:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Use it is an Mucky Pup !!!!!

0.5 shot tia maria

1 shot Bailey's Irish Cream

2 measures milk

Shake with crushed ice.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

angep

Free Member
Jul 12, 2008
S/W Wales
Funster No
Thank you all for that. Would have thanked you last night but I fell asleep nothing to do with the forum honest:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They seem like common sense things but I never considered them - what does that say about my common sense!

Biggest problem we had was the pipe to the waste tap was frozen solid but I suppose if we left the tap slightly open the flow would prevent this????

Thanks again

Scrubnuts

Free Member
May 11, 2008
Lomba do Rei Portugal
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
The cheapest solution is to leave the waste drain tap open and stick a bucket under it. This can usually be easily emptied even if partly frozen. Even if completely frozen you can usually tip it out of the bucket, though not sure what you do with the resulting ice cubes :ROFLMAO:
We used the above method on a site in Germany this Christmas as our tank valves froze and i could not close them.
A bucket or bowl was placed under the waste pipe and the contents (frozen or liquid ) was tipped into a large container supplied by the campsite owner positioned over a drain near the toilet block and left to thaw when temperatures rose.

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Canterbury last night minus 10 and still some snow left from Monday.

Canterbury this morning all out with hair dryers, little heaters etc defrosting (the pipe from the fresh water tank to the pump!) All our pipes are properly insulated and we still froze. Waste tanks ok because they're on board in the rv, but we couldn't have dumped even if we'd wanted beacuse the MH service point has been under about an inch of ice all week and the fresh water taps are frozen solid.

Jan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm glad I fitted my little 'bargain' heater from B&Q .. no frozen pipes or tanks.. :Smile:

Link Removed

However, the site water stand pipes are frozen solid .. but the RV water tank holds about 350 litre so we should be ok for a couple of days.. :RollEyes:

Heater on back wall... keeping the pipes and the waste tanks above from freezing.

Link Removed

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Reading posts in various threads about problems with frozen fresh/waste water piping etc, i couldn't help but think that this matter is of relevance to threads on fulltiming.

Knowing what the temperatures have been over the past few days, often well below freezing point, how do you fulltimer folk protect against bursts etc? I'm thinking in particular internal piping which would be plastic. Is it well enough lagged with insulation at the point of manufacture, or do you find you need to install better and more? Do you need to drain off whatever water is in the pipes each and every night.....or not?

I have an outside water tap on my house which i shut off during very cold nights so there is no water in the pipe. It's well insulated but i still drain it and leave the tap open just to be absolutely certain.

Which causes you the most problems.....waste water tanks or fresh water piping?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back