Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
My Electrolux freezer compartment randomly defrosts itself which is proving to be a bit of a pain in the butt. Had it happen frequently when I was pootling around Europe over the winter but understand this could be due to lack of vent covers. Moved site on Friday (8 miles down the road) and forgot to switch to battery for the journey. 2 days later I had a fridge full of water as the freezer had defrosted again. It it something I'm doing/not doing as I'd really like to be able to keep frozen food in there without mishap :shout:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I don't know if this is relevant,but I had the same problem with the freezer in my garage.
When the outside ambient temperature dropped below freezing the freezer would defrost.
If you have been camping somewhere were its freezing outside and not using vent covers,maybe this is the problem.

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I didn't think it had been that cold at night as we're currently staying in the Warwickshire area. I didn't think I'd be needing covers now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
To be honest as I said in my post,it was just an idea,I have never used vent covers so dont realy know.

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
To be honest as I said in my post,it was just an idea,I have never used vent covers so dont realy know.

All ideas gratefully received. It could just be like most things in this van - quirky, and I will just have to face a life without frozen peas :cry:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
I've just had a similar experience with the freezer in my kitchen. Heating oil ran out while I was away, temperature dropped in the house and the freezer defrosted. It wasn't freezing in the house, but obviously cold enough to make the defrost kick in. I'd say it was a possibility for this case.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Does it defrost if you leave it running on gas ???-------I wonder if it is the cold ambiant temp. causing it to de-frost, if the fridge is running on gas, would that greate enough heat to make it work ??????????
Nigel

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
The only time I've run it off gas is when we've stayed overnight at Aires, rest of the time we're on ehu.

land yacht

Free Member
May 7, 2011
fareham, hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B524 Legend 25
Exp
nov 2003
Dear ninjayorkies; Fridges should be the easiest things in the world, but they are not. Explanations can be very long winded and technical, so I'm trying to keep it short so that you won't switch off. Pressures and temperatures do change at the lower winter temperatures, and thermostats can stay cold and just not cut back in, so the use of winter vents is advisable. It will not matter whether you have the Gas, 230v electric or 12volt supply on as these only heat up heater elements at the back of the fridge, and so there is only a certain amount of heat produced by these elements, and using the vents will help to retain that heat at the back of the fridge and allow it to work in the colder areas, and also maybe allow your thermostat body to warm up and cut back in, because once it has cut out it sits there quite happily and thinks that every thing is cold enough and all ok. I'm assuming of course that you have a mechanical and not an electronic thermostat. I have spent 40 years working as a Refrigeration Engineer and believe me the cold weather has some strange effects on a system. Unfortunately this does not completely solve the your imediate problem and as yet, have not had the problem with my freezer defrosting, but then I do use my winter vents. Only when I have this problem myself will I be able to give you the right answer. Are you asleep yet - NO, then there's just enough time to say that, in the summer try to keep the vents on the shaded side of the van, and in the winter keep the vents on the downwind side as this will help to stop the wind rushing into the fridge space area. We have had trouble in our Hymer with the wind and cold weather coming through the vents under the cooker (not a good design) and so I have made up my own perspex vents which almost block off the vented area, but just allowing enough air for it to breath. (I only use my vents when the weather is at or about the freezing mark) Refrigeration school over. If you havn't yet keeled over, because I think I'm about too. This my give you some insight into the workings of a fridge - if it were mine I would fit an overide switch to by-pass the thermostat, after all that's all they do to a domestic freezer, but they call it fast freeze. At least this chat has given you some food for thought, so it only leaves me to say, Cherio and Fairwinds, from - Nick the fridge, :Cool: and Marjorie, :RollEyes: @ Fareham Creek, Hants.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back