Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If I have no decent Airiel on roof but want to tune my tv into Freeview what are my options.Suffice to say can't afford a sat dome are there any cheaper simple options

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If I have no decent Airiel on roof but want to tune my tv into Freeview what are my options.Suffice to say can't afford a sat dome are there any cheaper simple options

Are you talking freevew as you get down your aerial at home or are you meaning freesat that you get with a dish?

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!

Get a good aerial on the roof ::bigsmile:

We have a fairly basic aerial and a pre-amp. At Stratford-upon-Avon last weekend we managed to get about 140+ TV channels and stcks of radio channels too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Freeview

Just want a few channels for the kids cbbc itv bbc etc.normal at home channels

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Easy and cheap way is to stick one on a pole then not too expensive from the caravan shop or off ebay. Reception does vary a bit in different parts of the country and do remember that you have to re-tune the tele again when you change locations

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

For best performance an aerial must be DIRECTIONAL not Omni-directional.

Two options, fit a directional aerial such as the Status 550 at about £140 or a normal house type one for £40 but this would need mounting every time you parked up.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Your cheapest option as mentioned above is to carry a pole, secure it some way to the van and have a standard home type TV aerial... A Tv alignment meter off ebay will help..
Ensure the aerial you buy is "wideband" which will cover all channels 21-69... FORGET any blurb you read about "digital aerial"... They are all just aerials...

You see many van with the strapped across the back of bike racks and then bolted upright once people get to sites..

Also remember to re-tune the TV each time you move as you may cross over into different transmitter areas.

Link Removed

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There is a huge choice in types of aerials and a lot of crap on the market ... some little better than pieces of Bacofoil on a rod.....

Just recently I was looking for a decent aerial for the caravan and found this site, I found it very informative and helpful in making a choice..

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/touringaerials.html
For mobile installations they recommend aLink Removed aerial.

I love this footnote on the web site
, I accept that aerial is one of the more difficult words to spell, but here`s how NOT to do it :

aeriel, aereal, aireal, aireil, airial, arial, areil, ariel, areal & ariael.

Note. I have no connections with this company, financial or otherwise.

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
JIM....

Thats a link to the LEZ website... !!!!