Freeview or Satalite-12v/inverter? (1 Viewer)

NIC S

Free Member
Mar 19, 2009
WESTON SUPER MARE
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Hi I am in the process of setting up a tv in my camper.I have an RV with a built in roof arial would I get a better/easier to find signal from using a freeview box and roof arial or get a Freesat/Ski box and freestanding Sat Dish.I would intend to put the sat dish on the roof of the camper as apposed to standing it on the floor,A second question is will I be better trying to get all 12V units as I presume these consume less battery power than using an inverter.any help advice appreciated.Nic
PS the budget won't run to a built in Sat dish

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Personal opinion, keep everything 12 volt, makes life easy:thumb:

If your running the typical Winnguard aerial (batwing) as long as the amplifiers on we find it works great for freeview, as long as there is a signal out there.

We also now have a sat in a box just in case and, on our Winne, and it wouldn't supprise me on other RVs there is and external sat plug in point in the electric hook box that runs to behind the telly so very simple and tidy to set up. I've permanantly installed the freesat box so just set up sat and plug in/switch on. The sat in a box can run from the box, bolt to the awning leg via a supplied wall mounting bracket or clamp to the ladder with a G clamp style (supplied again) widget, simples:thumb: If we wanted it'll also fit to a tripod but we haven't bothered getting one, if we need I will.

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have a look at this may be just what you need Link Removed on sale Sunday at Aldi.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I agree with Dave. I have used this sat dish and box for a year now with great success. I just wired it to 12 volt leisure battery and lined it up. I was told to get 12 volt voltage stabiliser but so far all seems well, although I dont run the engine with it on. Even my flat TV runs off same system. Just remember to fuse the supply:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one advantage, among many, with a dish is theres is no retuning to do each time you stop.
just point at the sat and away you go.

freeview needs retuning to the local transmitter each and every time you stop and you also need to know which direction its in.

the satellite doesnt move...same spot in the sky every time and the same channels every time....almost !!

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08

the satellite doesnt move...same spot in the sky every time and the same channels every time....almost !!

Yep, until it starts poring with rain in the middle of Ashes to Ashes in the Pyrenees and you loose the signal! Can anyone tell me what happened?

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Yep, until it starts poring with rain in the middle of Ashes to Ashes in the Pyrenees and you loose the signal! Can anyone tell me what happened?

Yep, they got a decent telly, 8", and tried to fire it up. Sheehite, they muttered, our 15 amp per hour leisure battery ain't up to this so we'll give the telly salesman a good smacking, then!

They went to Aldi and got a Link Removed

Seeemples! :thumb:
meerkat.jpg

OP
OP
N

NIC S

Free Member
Mar 19, 2009
WESTON SUPER MARE
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Sat Dishes

I've since aquired a SKY digibox that I will try to run of an inverter but my question is that I've been told that SKY, SKYDIGI and SKYPLUS all require different types of sat dish,can anyone confirm this and I want to get the correct dish ? Thanks

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've since aquired a SKY digibox that I will try to run of an inverter but my question is that I've been told that SKY, SKYDIGI and SKYPLUS all require different types of sat dish,can anyone confirm this and I want to get the correct dish ? Thanks

Has your SKY box got a card and is it in date? I still think you will be better off with the ALDI system much cheaper and easyer to set up.

Dave

OP
OP
N

NIC S

Free Member
Mar 19, 2009
WESTON SUPER MARE
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
has your sky box got a card and is it in date? I still think you will be better off with the aldi system much cheaper and easyer to set up.

Dave
hi i have sky at home and was planning to use the card from that when in the camper-i might give it a try using it at home first

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

If you are going to leave wet & windy UK get a sat dish & freesat box. Best way to go. We have a maxview crankup system & £30 freesat box from maplin. Has worked well all over france spain for the last 5 years.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back