Paul_Richardson

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Funster No
MH
Own Van Conversion
Exp
Hi Guys,

I need a TV aerial for the camper van I'm building.

Status aerials seem really expensive and I wondered if any one had used one of these from ebay:-

Broken Link Removed

I'm not an aerial expert but the performance figures quoted seem similar.

I look forward to any suggestions.

Regards,

Paul

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont waste your money......the one in your link is an omnidirection and pulls in a signal from any direction, but the signal will be weak...maybe too weak....compared to a true direction aerial.

You get what you pay for and while status sound expensive it will pay dividends in the long run.

I have one of the old 'flying saucers' as in your link chucked in the back of my garage....thats how much use they are.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Personally speaking I found the flying saucer shaped aerial worse than useless - ours was Status, and with a signal booster. Then I tried a house-type digital aerial on a metal pole and it was such a faff that I gave up on that too.

In the end we opted for a roof-mounted satellite dish and Freesat.

There must be a workable alternative somewhere in between but we never discovered it. I don't know what those compact diamond-shaped receivers perform like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Forgot to say, there will be a few folks who swear by the flying saucer......they must not watch a lot of tv or simply accept the fact they dont work well.

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We've always used the Avtex (figure 8 type) aerial. It's never failed us yet. se it in the house too. Available from John's Cross (y)

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

Until we bought the Hobby I would have agreed 100% with the previous comments regards the efficacy (or otherwise) of the omnidirectional Status aerial.
However, since we got the 'van we have never failed to get a load of stations with it.
I'm wondering whether the booster provided with our wagon is a super duper "Deutschland uber alles" type that turns the Status flying saucer into a wunder kid.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back