Freeview Aerial Selection

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Paul_Richardson, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Paul_Richardson

Paul_Richardson Read Only Funster

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Dont waste your money......the one in your link is an omnidirection and pulls in a signal from any direction, but the signal will be weak...maybe too weak....compared to a true direction aerial.

You get what you pay for and while status sound expensive it will pay dividends in the long run.

I have one of the old 'flying saucers' as in your link chucked in the back of my garage....thats how much use they are.

3. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Personally speaking I found the flying saucer shaped aerial worse than useless - ours was Status, and with a signal booster. Then I tried a house-type digital aerial on a metal pole and it was such a faff that I gave up on that too.

In the end we opted for a roof-mounted satellite dish and Freesat.

There must be a workable alternative somewhere in between but we never discovered it. I don't know what those compact diamond-shaped receivers perform like.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Forgot to say, there will be a few folks who swear by the flying saucer......they must not watch a lot of tv or simply accept the fact they dont work well.

5. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We've always used the Avtex (figure 8 type) aerial. It's never failed us yet. se it in the house too. Available from John's Cross (y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings,

Until we bought the Hobby I would have agreed 100% with the previous comments regards the efficacy (or otherwise) of the omnidirectional Status aerial.
    However, since we got the 'van we have never failed to get a load of stations with it.
    I'm wondering whether the booster provided with our wagon is a super duper "Deutschland uber alles" type that turns the Status flying saucer into a wunder kid.