freesat receiver for home use ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looking for some info .

Need a freesat HD receiver with record facility to replace an out going Sky box .
BUT
I need to know what box I can use that will have the ability to use the infrared remote eye system as on the Sky box.

Suggestions please :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just keep the Sky box.

If you don't have any active paid subscriptions it effectively becomes a Freesat box. You need to leave your old viewing card in the slot.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
But then you cannot record anything :-( ( I know cos that is what I have done ! )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi John,

Humax do a record / play box, but I am not sure what you mean by the remote infra-red system.

J

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi John,

Humax do a record / play box, but I am not sure what you mean by the remote infra-red system.

J

Loads of em will do all I want but I do not know about the ability to use an eye..

The eye is used if you watch TV in more than one room but do not want to keep going into the room where the box is to change channel.
It is connected via the coax of the aerial system.. All that you have in the other viewing rooms is a little 'magic eye' that you point the remote control at

Try ACDC TV in Hereford.

Cheers for that.. If all else fails I will ring them :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hmmm Tried them before.. even a really expensive one gave middling results.. and most use a frequency too close for comfort to wifi systems.. so cause often cause issues with that too

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Freesat boxes do not have an RF output, so you cannot connect a Sky Magic eye to them.
You will either need to use wireless AV sender / transmitter system.
Or you can get a modulator, that connects to your Freesat boxes scart cable output, and to your RF cable. You can get some that also have magic eye functionality.

Or get another cable run from your dish, and put you now defunct sky box in the other room. At least you will be able to watch live TV, but not anything recorded from the freesat box...? Useful solution when you and another family member want to watch two things at the same time

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Freesat boxes are pretty cheap, it's easy to wire one up to a second tv, then you can watch different channels on each.
I have a Humax pvr, luckily, it works with the same remote control as the TV ( Samsung) but you can get programmable remote controls quite cheaply now that will control everything with just the one handset.
Harmony are good, All for One are cheap.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The cable run to where it is to be used from the dish would be extremely long.. Too long in my opinion even with top quality low loss coax..
The dish has to be at the front of the house while the room it has to feed is at the very back..
There is no way to feed the coax through the house and no way to get the coax in to the room without going to an external wall and then back on its self ( hard to explain but the cables would be about 30+ metres long .. Something that as an ex rigger and radio bod I am not happy to go with

And there is also the point that it needs to go to 6 different rooms and feed 6 different tv's as the present system does

If there is no way to use a remote magic eye then it looks like I shall abandon the whole idea and use the sky box without the ability to record

Thinking it through, I suppose I might be able to find a PVR that has an analogue tuner.. Use the sky box ( which feeds the whole house via coax ) and run that in to PVR's located in the crucial rooms
It is though, all getting silly complex ! :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just bought latest human sat box. Light year better then earlier incarnations....Just £200 a bargain I think for what it does. Has TV on demand built in...

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Just bought latest human sat box. Light year better then earlier incarnations....Just £200 a bargain I think for what it does. Has TV on demand built in...

Where in the UK did you buy it?
What model is it?

Thanks
Mel

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Broken Link Removed

Try these guy's very knowledgeable and helpfull

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Freesat boxes do not have an RF output, so you cannot connect a Sky Magic eye to them.
You will either need to use wireless AV sender / transmitter system.
Or you can get a modulator, that connects to your Freesat boxes scart cable output, and to your RF cable. You can get some that also have magic eye functionality.

Or get another cable run from your dish, and put you now defunct sky box in the other room. At least you will be able to watch live TV, but not anything recorded from the freesat box...? Useful solution when you and another family member want to watch two things at the same time
Is there anyway to record to a sky box from a freesat box

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Are they better than non-human sat boxes....? :)
That's for experts like you to define. Have had a few Human and stick with what I know....Did have a quick look on comparisons as not daft, it was the best reviewed that I could see plus it's British I believe?

I think you can record/ copy from humax latest boxes...not positive though.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have the 1010s and you cannot record from that to anotherdevice or storage

Joe

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
The older Humax Freesat HDR (very rectangular box, no curves like the modern ones) can be fitted with custom firmware allowing it to do loads of stuff over your home network. It can be controlled using a webpage, including scheduling recordings and controlling playback. Recordings already made can be accessed over the network or moved to a network drive and played from there, or indeed transferred to a portable drive to be watched away from home. I don't know whether any more modern devices have any or all of these features.

In my experience, satellite cables can be made quite long without affecting the ability to receive all channels. I suppose I live in an area (E Anglia) where signals are generally strong but 50m seems to be no real problem with a decent quality cable.

Tony

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We replaced our Sky box with a Humax and we have a 'magic eye' type setup in the conservatory, works just the same as the Sky one did, full control in another room with a second remote. Ours is 500GB, like the Sky box and we can set it to record from our smart phones wherever we may be. It has WiFi to the Internet and access to on demand stuff.
Really worthwhile replacement for the Sky box.
Tim

lincolnshire lad

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Since 2000
Use humax, great boxes and you can buy most models from them marked as reconditioned with full 12 months guarantee at lock down prices

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back