FreeSat Have you seen this (1 Viewer)

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

Looks like the BBC and ITV are going into satellite broadcasting early next year, wonder if you will be able to receive it in Europe ??and how much will the boxes cost ??

Link Removed

Brian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I doubt if the footprint will be outside the uk ..

Coverage .. quote: almost every household in the UK when it launches in Spring 08.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's all part of the digital scam - they have to set it up because some people won't be able to get Freeview, or (like my Mum where she lives) won't be able to get the full range on Freeview.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
:Eeek: I don't understand what the digital scam is? :Eeek:

Replacement of the analogue channels with a large number of digital channels mainly showing repeats and, because programme making budgets are no higher, leading to dilution in quality of original programming - plus the need to buy set top boxes or maybe new TVs, recorders, aerials.

Graham

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:RollEyes: I don't see it as a SCAM. Digital is a VAST improvement over Analogue. If you get a signal it is usually perfect. There are the possibilities of seeing programs that you may have missed. I don't see that as diluting the programming. There are things that can be done with Digital that cannot be done with Analogue. Not a SCAM:-

A confidence trick or confidence game, also known as a con, scam, swindle, grift, bunko or flim flam, is an attempt to swindle a person or persons (known as the "mark") which involves gaining his or her confidence.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Replacement of the analogue channels with a large number of digital channels mainly showing repeats and, because programme making budgets are no higher, leading to dilution in quality of original programming - plus the need to buy set top boxes or maybe new TVs, recorders, aerials.
Graham

repeats, not dis-similar to the BBC we all know and love as it is now then:roflmto:

who benifits from the set top boxes and tv's, not the broadcasting companies unless they have shares in the manufacturers business.
I, for one, welcome the change and as JSW said it is a vast improvement and up to 80 channels instead of 5 but i do think once the changeover is complete the half decent free to air channels will disappear.
which brings us back to Britains Biggest Cockup aka the BBC. they seem to rule the roost and theirs will be the first to change to pay channels.:Angry:

ooops, fell off me soapbox.:ROFLMAO:

john.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
who benifits from the set top boxes and tv's, not the broadcasting companies unless they have shares in the manufacturers business.
Should the question be "who benefits" or "who pays"? Whether or not people want access to more than their current channels they will have to purchase a set top box at least.

I, for one, welcome the change and as JSW said it is a vast improvement and up to 80 channels instead of 5
Vast improvement is a matter of opinion - and, as I said before, agree to disagree. Having said that, Ofcom (in their preliminary report on the provision of children's channels) have pointed to the reduction in quality - so you may well be right, John that once the changeover is complete the half decent free to air channels will disappear.

As far as the number of channels go though it's very much a matter of where one lives. Whilst all the spin has been concentrated on up to a certain number of channels (I though it was 40 rather than 80 but no matter) the reality in many areas is much less - and there are already protests in Whitehaven where people have found that they can only receive around 20 channels.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back