Freeloading Motorhomers

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by ShiftZZ, Jul 27, 2013.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Having spoken to one or two people it has become evident that a lot of people abuse the Aires system in France. The leave early, arrive late just to avoid paying the fee, not a lot just a few Euros at most. When at home in their own country there are no free legal aires.
    It’s not only Brits, it’s all nations, and one day the French may well say “Enough”, and I for one can’t blame them. As with most things, a small number abusing will kill off the whole system..

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 27
  2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Same old story......... Unfortunately.:Angry:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Phill D

Phill D

as is often the case a few take unnecessary advantage and the many stand to suffer. selfish :Angry: if Aires were all closed what would be the impact on campsites and fees.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

Its the same with most things minority abuse majority gets blamed.

• Like Like x 5
  5. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Yep.
    Seen them do it, not just Brits.
    Honesty boxes are only of use in dealing with honest people.
    I have never understood how people spend a lot of money on a MH and then penny pinch.
    Not the way to have a relaxed holiday, surely?

To be fair, there is the other side of the coin.
    Some places which have a charge don't send anyone round for the shekels.
    Chatillon Sur Sombre for example.....
    Us and two other couples went to the pub, to cement English / French / Dutch relations, left a note as to our whereabouts.
    Nothing.
    They only collected from "HIM" (We all know "HIM") who didn't drink, so was still there.
    Really pissed "HIM" off, that did.
    There was no honesty box, otherwise it would have been used.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ven

Ven Funster

We have spent at least 3 months each year in France for the last 4 years and only use aires. It does happen and we are incredulous that such cheap and brilliant services are abused. They do not know how lucky they are! In our experience the French do it far more than any other nation though.

One of our favourite aires is Mortagne sur Gironde where it is a whopping ;) €7.40 a night with electric and a lovely view of a marina. The guy who comes around every morning to collect the money literally jumps out in front of Motorhomes trying to leave without paying and makes sure they pay their dues. Makes us smile every time and good on him. Shame he has to though.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 12
  7. campa cola

campa cola Funster

when I paid to stay at a zoo stellplats in Finland, a load of Swiss MH's turned up & stayed for free over night then pissed off, even used the leccy. Clearly somebody had tipped them all off on a website about what to do, what time to arrive etc. Some of them even tried to get in the locked toilet/showers but since I was the only one who paid & had the key I made sure I locked them out ho ho :thumb:

• Like Like x 9
  8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

its not a minority though .its a majority . lots do it . but then there are lots of free ones to use . the minority might be the british that do pay .

• Like Like x 1
  9. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Aires

Not in my experience a majority. We spent five months of the year for the last five years all on aires. Yes we have seen some do it but I have to say they were mostly French. They do, of course, run the risk of not getting a place if they turn up late.

Pay up and enjoy what's provided is what I say. (Unless it's a free aire of course)

• Like Like x 1
  10. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

And those that abuse the system, will be the first to moan if they put coin operated barriers in or a card system to collect the fee`s...

Or even worse close them down... :Sad:

• Like Like x 5
  11. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Sadly this reflects a lot of other scenarios in life........we call it the 80 - 20 or the "pareto principle". The majority of people are decent and honest, but sadly there's the others who spoil it for everyone else:Sad:

Margaret & Bill

• Like Like x 1
  12. ShiftZZ

Calais by the beach is the worst.. We have seen the Council staff pick up litter at 7:00AM on a Sunday when it was pouring with rain. Its always clean and tidy, thanks to the people and council of Calais.

We have also seen Brits try and reserve a pitch on an aire in Gravelines by putting table and chairs out. I have seen a Brit dump his Pooh Pooh in the carpark Cap Nez Gris, and another pinch a spot in Bologne (that nealry caused a war)..

I have also seen people pinch my 'reserved' pitch in Calais, now evicted.. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Think you will find it is mainly the French that do this.:cry:

We stayed on a marina aire with Alan and Lynda and the sign said "pay at harbourmaster office"

After a cuppa we went to the office where the harbourmaster said "no no pay tomorrow"................................then he said "my day off, no pay" :Eeek:

14. ShiftZZ

So he had met Laneside before then..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Hi

On last years trip we stayed on a small aire at Sains (Mont St Michel-ish). As we had made use of the free electricity I was keen to do the decent thing and pay the 5 euros required.

No-one appeared by 09.30 the next morning so I wandered over to the nearby Mairie and waited, and waited for someone to appear that might take my money but no luck.

The small amount usually required is such a bargain that we always make a point of paying if we can but the French don't always make it easy.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the greedy selfish few, who abuse the system, just like those who just camp where they want without permission are just spoiling it for the majority. too many places have been spoilt and no longer welcome motorhomers. when will they start to learn....somebody has to pay and you get very little for nothing.

freeloading bastards:Eek!:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

We stayed at Equihen Plage a couple of weeks ago, arrived about 3 in the afternoon and left at around 9.30 the following morning, but no-one came to collect the €5 charge.

What should we have done to be honest upright Motorhomers - fasten a €5 note to the borne?

:france::france::france:

18. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

To cover the odd days when I'm away I installed a secure honesty box, and the twice I have given someone the gate combination and instructions of how to pay they did not, one Î would recognise if they came again. Honesty it seems doesn't apply to all motorhomers, even British

19. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Yes we have seen that going on too all over France last time we were there. Honfleur for one. Some arrived about 10 pm and left at 7 am. Shame if they spoiled such a beautiful stopover.

Lin

• Like Like x 1
  20. JJ

JJ Funster

How about you Aire using motorhomers doing something about it yourselves?

EG.

"Excuse me... are you going without paying?

Ok... I have taken a photo of you, your van and your number plate... the internet is a wonderful thing...

Have a nice day. "

Obviously this does not affect me for, as The Big One states so succinctly, I am a freeloading bastard...:Wink:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 2